Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] !! For ... Next Looping Through the strKeyWord variable keywords in a RTB TextBox !!

Resolved [RESOLVED] !! For ... Next Looping Through the strKeyWord variable keywords in a RTB TextBox !!

Hello I am writing an Input Box that requires me to write a value for a String variable, that goes like this: Anything in the lstKeyWord.ListBox, will only be handled in this way...

Problem: I need the ListBox to loop through itself and then place the .ItemData of the Item in the ListBox...

!! Thanks in advance !!

PS: I have been working on Pesudo Code and Procedual Code for the past half an hour, and yes it is night time in Perth, WA!!
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

PowerPoster

Re: !! For ... Next Looping Through the strKeyWord variable keywords in a RTB TextBox

I don't really understand the question.
    To loop through a list box it is common to use something like
    Code:
    Dim I as integer

For I =0 to Listbox.ListCount-1
       'do something
       'the item data would be retrieved or set using the itemdata property and the current index  I
    Next

Re: !! For ... Next Looping Through the strKeyWord variable keywords in a RTB TextBox

Yes, as I stated that I knew about looping through ListBoxes using For ... Next loops. But then how to get the .ItemData of the ListBox entry that was at the point of RunTime the strKeyWord As String variable, which is contained inside...

Problem: Also note that: That I have tried .ItemData and it doesn't work for the Item Entries, as well and then I guess .ListIndex, wouldn't. I requires some Source Code on that topic, put foward, please kind people???

!! Thanks in advance !!
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

PowerPoster

Still not sure what the actual question is. Can you possibly word it a bit differently so I can get a better idea of what you are asking?

When Input a strKeyWord (String Variable) then inside another TextBox write it's .ItemData inside it. However at the position where it is written inside the first one. Also this Project is an ActiveX Control Object, that I have been able to write for use with my real top secret Project, that I am working on, right now.

Two of the TextBoxes, called .Text and .Script are then written inside the ActiveX Control Object and then the one that I wish to have the .ItemData codes, then isn't and cannot be, as such. I guess, be embedded into the AcitveX Control Object. Don't you think???

PowerPoster

Weren't you talking about a list box before? I am more confused as to what you are trying to do now than before.

Anything in the ListBox, is given a reference of .ItemData, of anything over zero.

eg:
    strKeyWord = lstKeyWord = "Access" so then .ItemData(1)

If that makes it more understandable, then please ask for more help in the matter at hand!!

I got it. The Source Code, I mean!!
    Code:
    rtbCode1.Text = lstKeyWord.ItemData(strKeyWord)
    It is something like this. But then where the strKeyWord is, it must be something more, because that is what I am trying to understand here. But then cannot do so, because of the lack of training in this area of programming, that I have undergone. Could you please help me, with this problem???

!! Thanks in advance !!

PowerPoster

If you are looking to find the itemdata value assoiated with a specific item in a list box first you must determine the listindex of that item then you use that listindex to grab the item data.

For example if the item is the 5th item in the list you would use List1.ItemData(4) to get the itemdata linked to that entry in the list.

Hopefully this helps because I still can not understand exactly what you are trying to do. I am thinking it is along these lines but I am still guessing.

That is exactly what I am trying to do, here. But now can I make an Append to the TextBox, when there is a new entry to add to it!!

I am looking at this:
    Code:
    rtbCode1.Text = rtbCode1.Text & lstKeyWord.ListIndex(Index)
    But then I am not quite sure on how to make the looping through the strKeyWord variable data, using this programming language. However I must be able to keep the same positon as to where they are in the TextBox, as to where they are inside the .ListIndex, then. Also how come I cannot use the .ItemData and then can only use the .ListIndex, as to what I can use on a ComboBox, instead???

Problem: It's still not working right. I also tried it with the .ItemData and also as you had said, the .ListIndex. But still nothing happened. I also have the ListBox, which is called: lstKeyWord, also embedded inside the ActiveX Control Object, which then means that I don't need to have it inside the Project, as such. Then working just with the Object, that I wrote and then a RichTextBox, as well...

Then working with the rtb_Code1.Text = "CancelError" Then send to the TextBox, Text1.Text = lstKeyWord.ListIndex(Index). But then the ListBox, is embedded, and then cannot be read by any of the Controls or even the processes, outside of the Control. So then would that mean that I must be able to make a Property for the Control's outside the Control to be able to read itself, as that variable, which is named: strKeyWord...

I guess, the Property must look like this:
    If rtb_Code1.Text = strKeyWord Then lstKeyWord.ListIndex(Index)

However there is still working out of the Index, variable. This means that I have to find some way to have the Index, point to the exact line or even the entry inside the ListBox, which is then named: lstKeyWord...

I don't know what is going on here, but then could you please help me with my problem???

!! Thanks in advance !!

Headway, right now in the problem:
    It looks like this is a winner, as such. Because when ever I try to type in the CodeBox: "CancelError", I get it to generate the ListBox entry's .ListIndex, which is 16!! But I am now having problems with the .ListIndex, property. It now says that it is an invalid property, and then closes the app from running in the Output Screen...
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
    If Code1.Text = "CancelError" Then lstKeyWord.ListIndex (16)

End Sub
    Last edited by ThEiMp; Feb 24th, 2012 at 10:14 PM.

PowerPoster

If you are trying to get the matching item data from a list box based on an entry in a text box being in the list box then you could do that with a simple loop.
    Code:
    For x=0 to list1.listcount-1
       if List1.List(x)=Text1.Text then
            Text1.Text=Text1.Text & List1.ItemData(x)
       end if
    Next
    Problem is I still can't tell if this is what you are trying to do. There is a lot of text in your posts about anything and keyword and itemdata but no where is there just a simple clear description of what you are trying to accomplish. If this is not what you are trying to do then rather than telling us how you are trying to do it try to tell us exactly what you want to happen.

Example: When the user types something in this textbox I want the program to search for a matching item in the list and if there retrieve the itemdata of that listitem.

Also where would the best possible position/handler to put this Source Code, from your last post: #12???
    I am thinking a Timer event, or anything else, as such...

PowerPoster

Again I am not sure what you are trying to do. A timer would not be my first thought as it would be trying to loop through the list at possible unwise times.
    If I wanted the user to enter something then search for it I would put the search code in a seperate function and call it when the user hits enter in this text box or when they leave the field or when they hit a button depending on why I want to do the search and what I want to do with the result.

I was thinking about the handler: rtb_Code1_Change(), for this matter???

PowerPoster

I would not put it in a change event either but again it depends on what you want it to do.

If your user is to enter a word and then have the code search for that word you want to wait until they are done typing. If you want to try and find a match while they are still typing then the change event may work for you but it you use this event and the intention is to look for the whole word the program will end up running the search with every key stroke even though there is no way to get an accurate match to the full word until they have finished typing.

So there, I am very stumped on what kind of handler to use. So they we must be able to use something like the Change, but then not quite so like that, rather...

Now when I write something from the lstKeyWord.List ListBox. It then puts a zero, at the end and then doesn't let me remove the .Text...

I am now working it like this:
    Code:
    Private Sub rtb_Code1_Change()
    For x = 0 To lstKeywords.ListCount - 1
       If lstKeywords.List(x) = rtb_Code1.Text Then
            txt_Compile1.Text = txt_Compile1.Text & lstKeywords.ItemData(x)
       End If
    Next
    End Sub
    Question: Is this process correct, if not then please correct it for me???

That would be nice...
    !! Thanks in advance !!

PowerPoster

Yes and no. The code looks ok assuming you want to match a complete word. It would work in most cases but possibly not all. For example say your list contains Joe and Joesph the users starts to type Joesph the search runs when they hit the J no match again when they hit the o no match again on the e now it finds a match but it is not the one the user wants.

So if you want accuarate matching and do not want to waste CPU the code should not be in the change event.

Well seeing that CPUs are now Dual/Triple and also Quad Core, then that wouldn't waste very much at all...

Problem: The .ItemData reader, only executes when there has been afew of the characters been removed from the Control's Text Property. Also in the Master Form, I am using a Timer Control to capture each keystroke from the ActiveX Control Object...

Is the above correct, or now??? Please note that I am writing an ActiveX Control Object for usage inside COM, .NET and also #, as well as VBA...

!! Thanks in advance !!

PowerPoster

As I said before if you want it to search for a complete word there should be a trigger such as When they press Enter in the field or when the field looses focus or somethig of that nature. Using the Change event or a timer is not a good idea because it will be search while the user is typing which could result in slower performance and false positives.

Even if your system is a super computer that is still not a good reason to write code that needlessly wastes processor time.

!! I see, thanks for the Input$ !!

Problem: Trying to send the .ItemData values to another TextBox, as follows. But then it doesn't do anything that I am writing in the Coded AcitveX Control Object...
    Code:
    Option Explicit
    Dim strKeyWord As String

Private Sub rtb_Code1_Change()
    For x = 0 To lstKeywords.ListCount - 1
       If lstKeywords.List(x) = strKeyWord Then
            UserControl.Compile() = lstKeywords.ItemData(x)
       End If
    Next
    End Sub

PowerPoster

Code:
    UserControl.Compile() = lstKeywords.ItemData(x)
    What is UserControl.Compile() ?

The property = String data type that is only numerical data that contains data for my Compiler. You see that I am making a programming language, that has an internal compiler that compiles only numerical data and then makes a Projector, instead of a solid exe file. Well I guess that I could be able to make the Compile() property, as a Long instead. Seeing that it only works with numerical data. Thanks for the help, in that matter of fact!!

PowerPoster

You do not use () when assigning something to a property
    () indicates a method with no parameters

If it is a property remove the () and maybe it will work.

Also about the Code1_Change() handler, I'm having trouble trying to code it. What about if you give me a sample of the Source Code. That would be great, if you could do that for me, thanks. I am using the special ActiveX Control Wizard to do so. But then that is just a quick kind of sample, and then just not the real thing to be coding with, when you are doing something like this???

!! Thanks in advance !!

The Source Code is right, now. But as before in the post above. There is a problem with the UserControl_Change() Event. What to do, right now. I ask you that!!

!! Thanks in advance !!

PowerPoster

When you create a control in VB6 you can map an event from a control to your user control. For example if you have a textbox on your control you can map the Text_Changed event to the usercontrol changed event via the wizard. I can't remember the exact process for doing this as it has been years since I last created a control in VB6.

!! Thanks for the Input$ !!

Getting there, with your help, thanks again!!

PowerPoster

You're welcome

From what I am able to peice together here. I am able to say that the Source Code, is required to loop through the strKeyWord String variable data, followed by the lstKeyWord.ItemData of the ListBox, which keeps the text data of the ListBox, in which is able to define which kind of command, the programmer is putting into the IDE...

But I only have half of the Source Code, doing that part of the fact of the matter. And then that means that I need your help, to come up with the rest of the Source Code. If you don't mind???

!! Thanks in advance !!

PS: There seems to be a problem with the Property, that stores the data, as a String. I am working on getting that to be a Long instead. Therefore it is only able to keep numeric data, instead of anything else, that that of course. I will then be able to refine the property, and then post it for exiamation, if you wish to have a good look for me, that would be really nice if you could...

PowerPoster

Once again I have no idea what you are actually trying to ask.

So sorry.

Problem #1: I have been trying with the For ... Next to loop through the strKeyWord data. However there is still the problem with trying to do positioning of the data. I can only be able to make it loop, once they are only in the left section of the RichTextBox. However when they have been indented, then that is another matter, entirely in deed.

Problem #2: There is still the fact that I cannot get the data to appear inside the Compiler property. In which was a String, however I have been able to change that into a Long variable data type, just by rewriting it, as such as one.

Problem #2 of Post #37, has been answered. I had to retro-fit my older project to work with the current project. So then that is that fixed up, and then all we have to do is to answer: Problem #1 of Post #37...

Problem #2 of Post #37, has been answered!!

But then there is now something else, I am finding it more and more harder to write the .ItemData property for the lstKeyWord.ListBox Control. Can someone please help me with that problem???

Please Note: That I am using the special ActiveX Control Object Wizard that is found inside Mircosoft VB6 COM SP6.8 for Windows 32-Bit...

PowerPoster

Maybe if you would explain your problem in such a way someone could understand it someone may be able to help. Your posts may be meaningful to you but more often than not I can not tell what you are talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast