Thread: Registering custom / user controls problem

PowerPoster

Registering custom / user controls problem

Hi,

I have a WebUserControl, let's call it "BaseControl.ascx" that acts as a base control for a custom control (a class that inherits BaseControl). Inside BaseControl I have a couple of regular controls (for example a DropDownList called 'dropdown'), which I try to populate in the inheriting control:
    csharp Code:
    1. namespace ProjectName.Controls
    2. {
    3.     public class SpecializedControl : BaseControl
    4.     {
    5.         public void SetupList()
    6.         {
    7.             dropdown.DataSource = "ABCDEFG".ToCharArray();
    8.             dropdown.DataBind();
    9.         }
    10.     }
    11. }

As far as I know, the only way to register a custom control (eg, not a .ascx control but a class inheriting a control) is to use this syntax on the page:
    Code:
    <%@ Register Assembly="ProjectName" Namespace="ProjectName.Controls" TagPrefix="custom" %>
    This seems to work, I can place a SpecializedControl on the page with this:
    Code:
    <custom:SpecializedControl runat="server" ID="test" />
    However, when I now call the 'SetupList' method on this control, from the Page_Load event, it seems that 'dropdown' (the DropDownList control in BaseControl.ascx) is null, it seems it is never instantiated.

To test what is happening I just created a simple TestControl.ascx (note: an ascx file again, so a WebUserControl and not a custom control), also with a dropdown and the same SetupList method.

When I register this control using the following syntax, everything works fine:
    Code:
    <%@ Register Src="~/Controls/TestControl.ascx" TagName="TestControl" TagPrefix="custom" %>
    I can call SetupList and the list is populated just fine.

When I register the exact same control however with the other syntax, it does not work, and 'dropdown' is null:
    Code:
    <%@ Register Assembly="ProjectName" Namespace="ProjectName.Controls" TagPrefix="custom" %>
    In this test case I can choose which syntax to use, but in my actual case I can't. The control I want to put on my page is not an ascx file, it's a class that inherits another control (a custom control), so as far as I know I am stuck with this second syntax. So, I cannot get this to work...

I also tried creating the control dynamically using LoadControl, but that gives the same problem.

Long story short: it seems like I have to use the first syntax to register a control (with a 'Src' tag pointing to the control ascx file), but I can't since there is no ascx file...

How can I do this properly?

King of sapila

Re: Registering custom / user controls problem

Can't say that i have tried the double custom that you do but have you tried adding it to web.config directly?
    Also have a look here:
    http://haacked.com/archive/2006/11/1...eb.config.aspx

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...eb-config.aspx
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Hello,

The only thing that I can think is that by inheriting from BaseControl, the instantiation of the controls within that UserControl is not happening.

You could try using Page.LoadControl:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...adcontrol.aspx

To load the BaseControl dynamically, when your control requires it, but this seems a little "messy".

Is there a reason why you are mixing Custom Controls and UserControls? Why not simply have BaseControl as a Control in it's own right, i.e. don't use an ascx at all?

Gary

PowerPoster

sapator: tried that, didn't work, same result.

Gep: also tried LoadControl, same result again.

It seems to be impossible

The reason I want it like this is because BaseControl is a generic control. It represents a filter on a particular type. It has a dropdown (amongst other controls) that shows a list of possible values for the generic type, and handles all the filtering on the selected value internally (a method that accepts a list of items and returns those that match the selected item ). Then I have one class inheriting BaseControl for each type.

The generics are not the problem by the way, tried it without genetics too and same result.

I let this idea go and just pit all the filtering code on the page itself. A lot more and repeated code but it works...

Hey,

I get what you are trying to do, but why not add the logic, and controls in an actual control (i.e. render everything in code) rather than using a composite control. Dynamically render out the DropDownList, rather than placing it in an ASCX.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by NickThissen View Post
    Hmmm that might work... I'll try that.
    Fingers crossed Let me know how you get on.

Gary