Thread: [SERIOUS] Opinion... Full-time Job

[SERIOUS] Opinion... Full-time Job

I want to know your guys opinion on something.

So currently i am going to school full time at university, majoring in Technical Theatre (lighting/sound/design/etc) and I am working two part time jobs at the same place. (1) One of the jobs I get 20-30 hours week making $8.75/hour. (2) The second job is on-call/fill-in, roughly 40 hours a month making $17.63/hour.

In the next 6 months i have the opportunity to promote job 2 to full time, and would be in charge of all the technology there. I dont know the hourly rate, but it falls between $25-$30/hour.

If I take the full time position i would need to drop job 1, and cut back on school. I have good relationships with the admin, and I have an extremely high chance of getting this position.

I have always been taught that school is first (full time) and work is secondary (part time). However i know opportunities like this dont come around all the time, and i would have to work full time, and go to school part time.

TL;DR;
    Should I take a full time position, doing something i really enjoy in a tech field, and cut back on school. Or Pass the chance of getting a full time job at 20, and focus on getting my degree ASAP.

edit: I dont care for the world to know what i do, but if you care you can PM me... It may help you understand better...

Re: [SERIOUS] Opinion... Full-time Job

You've been in college for a couple years now, right? How many years do you have in/have left?

As long as you end up with the degree, the job would be pretty appealing. On the other hand, I wouldn't take the job if it meant not ending up with a degree at all. Jobs aren't forever, especially these days, and the degree will open future doors.

By the way, we all know you sell counterfeit Pokemon cards, so don't act like it is some kind of secret.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    You've been in college for a couple years now, right? How many years do you have in/have left?
    After this semester i will have 2 years completed, with 2/3 years remaining.
    As long as you end up with the degree, the job would be pretty appealing. On the other hand, I wouldn't take the job if it meant not ending up with a degree at all. Jobs aren't forever, especially these days, and the degree will open future doors.
    I will still be working toward my BA degree, part time. One of the upsides of taking the full time position would be that I get 6 units waived every semester. So i can still take 2/3 classes every semester if i wanted to. And my jobs isnt extremely demanding so i could still work on homework or take online classes. And the shifts are 3 12 hour shifts per week, so there is still the other 4 days of the week to work on school work.

By the way, we all know you sell counterfeit Pokemon cards, so don't act like it is some kind of secret.
    Who told you. Dont tell the government.

I would stick with job 1 if you will have to leave your studies to take job 2.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I wouldn't sacrifice the degree for a job, but if you can do both, then I think I might do it.

I wouldn't sacrifice the degree for a job, but if you can do both, then I think I might do it.
    +1

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    I would stick with job 1 if you will have to leave your studies to take job 2.
    Well i am currently doing both Job 1 and 2. 1 is part time, and 2 is on-call/fill in. Its only if i take Job 2 full time.

The was exactly my worry. I want to take this full time job because it is roughly $50k/year. I still live with my parents so i would be able to save up a lot of money in a year or two until i move out. And i can still be working toward my degree.

I made myself set that ground rule at least. If i take it, i will still go to school.

Then you might as well do it. There is nothing that prepares you better for finding a job than already having one. The degree will assist you down the road, but you'll already have your foot pretty firmly in the door.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Take the job.

You can continue with your education at the same time, even if only part time, and the worst case scenario is that the job doesn't work out at which point you return to full time eductaion and you've lost a year of your life at most. Conversly, if the job does work out you'll get good experience, the all important foot in the door, and let's not forget, cash. It's hard to see the downside really.

Who told you. Dont tell the government
    Well, we weren't sure what you were up to so we had to PeekAtYou.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Gee, I don't know the subject well enough to come up with any reply to that.

Frenzied Member

I have always been taught that school is first (full time) and work is secondary (part time).
    I was taught this too, but I'd say the dynamic changes as you get older and the aim of your education shifts from general learning to (ultimately) obtaining a satisfactory job in your chosen field. There comes a point when relevant, proven experience is more appealing to potential employers than a good GPA.

In short, agreed with FunkyDexter.

Excellent. thanks for your guy's opinion. It is something i want to do, and I am willing to take the job and put school on part time. I wanted to make sure i wasnt crazy. Something i wont do is stop going to school. I at least want to be in one class per semester to that i can stay matriculated, because every year its getting hard to be accepted, and I dont want to be denied later when/if i pick school up full time again.

I guess there is no actual connection with my online identity here, to my real identity. Job 2 is part-time/on-call *removed*. Then if i took the full time position, i would be full time *removed* and technical coordinator, in charge of all the computer systems and radio systems/repeaters. Which is something I am interested in. So it works.

Thanks Guys
    Last edited by dclamp; Mar 31st, 2012 at 04:37 AM.

Yeah, that should be a pretty good career move from several angles. As long as the degree happens eventually, you should come out with a win in all areas.

It sounds like you can have the best of both worlds here - I would definitely go for the full-time job and keep the degree ticking over in the background. Looking at what you've said you currently do, you'll be moving from doing 30-40 hours per week to doing 36 hours per week, so there won't be much of a change in the actual amount of work you do.

Is the shift pattern consistent - will you always be doing the same three shifts per week? If so, it should be quite easy to fit a significant amount of study around it.
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleDuncan View Post
    It sounds like you can have the best of both worlds here - I would definitely go for the full-time job and keep the degree ticking over in the background. Looking at what you've said you currently do, you'll be moving from doing 30-40 hours per week to doing 36 hours per week, so there won't be much of a change in the actual amount of work you do.

Is the shift pattern consistent - will you always be doing the same three shifts per week? If so, it should be quite easy to fit a significant amount of study around it.
    Yeah, The shift change quarterly, but i will be working 1 of 4 possible shifts. Frontend or backend of week. And either Day or graveyard shift.