View Poll Results: Will you buy an iPad 3?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I will!

4 23.53%
  • Yes, as a gift.

0 0%
  • Maybe.

1 5.88%
  • Nope. I hate iEverything.

10 58.82%
  • No, I'm happy with my current iPad for now.

1 5.88%
  • No, I think I'll wait until next year.

1 5.88%

Thread: Anyone getting the iPad 3?

Addicted Member

Anyone getting the iPad 3?

Is anyone planning to buy an iPad 3? Maybe as a gift?
    Last edited by moonman239; Feb 23rd, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Do not read this sentence.
    You read that last one, didn't you?
    Darn. You now read the previous two.

Check out my pins on Pinterest!

Re: Anyone getting the iPad 3?

I hate your polls. You never give any decent options, which seems to be pointed out in every poll you make :/...What's that saying about crazy?

I have no intention of buying an iPad (let alone a 3) but I have no issues with Apple devices in general.

*looks at poll* Yup, no option for anything close to that.

Yawn.... wow...an other poll.

I go for the iPad-6. So I wait for a while.

Next poll please.

Yes, I'm definitely getting an iPad 3. The retina display has me sold

Gee, that's a surprise. YOU are getting an apple product?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

When did apple start making sanitary towels?
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Gee, that's a surprise. YOU are getting an apple product?

This may actually surprise you, but I considered getting the Transformer Prime at some point, and then the Kindle Fire, because it's cheaper, but ultimately I decided against it. I like iOS, and I've got apps I already own on iOS, and it works well with the devices I already own.

That aside, there's no other slate that has a retina display right now, and hopefully, the iPad 3 will be packing some mean hardware. Hoping for a dual-core Cortex A15, or a quad-core Cortex A9, as well as an SGX543MP6 or a PowerVR 600 series GPU. Add in 1GB RAM, and meh... that's one nice slate.

That's actually pretty interesting. They certainly have wi-fi, but do they have any kind of Ethernet wire connectivity? I would expect not, but if they did, I'd have a use for a Windows version of a tablet, as long as it had quad-cores and were fairly cheap. On the other hand, since I wouldn't need the display at all, I'd also have to look into tossing together cheap quad-core boxes using second-hand parts.

Sure, why not? I enjoy my 4S and having a big screen for reading books in my easy chair would be nice.
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    I hate your polls. You never give any decent options, which seems to be pointed out in every poll you make :/...What's that saying about crazy?

I have no intention of buying an iPad (let alone a 3) but I have no issues with Apple devices in general.

*looks at poll* Yup, no option for anything close to that.
    That's the thing about polls... the answers can always be skewed as to produce a predicable/favorable (or not) response. the response that most closely matched my feelings is the iHate iEverything... so I'm inclined to vote that way... the problem is that it's an inaccurate response... it's not that I hate all things Apple ... I jsut don't have any care to own any of their products. Maybe I'll vote "I'll wait 'till next year"... then next year when the iPad4 comes out, I'll vote to "wait until next year" again...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

My sentiments are the same as TG. I had to vote for the iHate option simply because it is the closest to my actions, not because I feel all that strongly about Apple. I simply don't see any of those iProducts fitting into my lifestyle, and I'd rather build a computer with the components I want than buy one of theirs with the components they want.

That's actually pretty interesting. They certainly have wi-fi, but do they have any kind of Ethernet wire connectivity? I would expect not, but if they did, I'd have a use for a Windows version of a tablet, as long as it had quad-cores and were fairly cheap. On the other hand, since I wouldn't need the display at all, I'd also have to look into tossing together cheap quad-core boxes using second-hand parts.
    The Windows slates may have an ethernet port, but the problem with them is short battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    That's the thing about polls... the answers can always be skewed as to produce a predicable/favorable (or not) response. the response that most closely matched my feelings is the iHate iEverything... so I'm inclined to vote that way... the problem is that it's an inaccurate response... it's not that I hate all things Apple ... I jsut don't have any care to own any of their products. Maybe I'll vote "I'll wait 'till next year"... then next year when the iPad4 comes out, I'll vote to "wait until next year" again...

-tg
    Ahaha lol that made me laugh

That's not a problem if they have an ethernet port, because if you are tethered by one cable you might as well be tethered by another. What I would be looking at is whether it is a cheaper means of multiple cores. I don't really need the other stuff.

That's not a problem if they have an ethernet port, because if you are tethered by one cable you might as well be tethered by another. What I would be looking at is whether it is a cheaper means of multiple cores. I don't really need the other stuff.
    That's true.

It's unlikely you'll find a cheap Windows based slate. You pay a premium for the form factor, just like a laptop. It'll always be cheaper for you to build your own rig

Hmm...

Why are we pontificating about a device that hasn't been announced yet, and might never see the light of day? I understand that the Internet says it will be released sometime in March 2012 (and the Internet is never wrong?!?), but with Apple you can never be sure until Tim Cook presents it on stage at some conference.

At least that's a step up from Microsoft, where you have Steve Ballmer over-hyping the Courier Tablet years before it's planned for production, only to cancel the product before it gets anywhere.
    CSS layout comes in to the 21st century with flexbox!
    Just another Perl hacker,

Quote Originally Posted by tr333 View Post
    Hmm...

Why are we pontificating about a device that hasn't been announced yet, and might never see the light of day? I understand that the Internet says it will be released sometime in March 2012 (and the Internet is never wrong?!?), but with Apple you can never be sure until Tim Cook presents it on stage at some conference.

At least that's a step up from Microsoft, where you have Steve Ballmer over-hyping the Courier Tablet years before it's planned for production, only to cancel the product before it gets anywhere.
    You know it's coming for a few reasons:

1) Apple releases a new model yearly -- and it's been about a year. That's true of almost every other product they sell -- iPhone, iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, etc., and up until recently, the iPod touch. (Which we should see a new model of soon.)

2) You know when you start to see a lot of leaks on MacRumors, they increase quite rapidly as it gets closer to the release. (Usually)

3) You know when you start seeing "reputable" people say so, some who are known to have contacts inside Apple, and who have been reliable in the past.

4) And, most of all, you know when Apple's announced it and sent out an invite for the 7th of March. (Just as "rumoured/leaked".)

Here's the invite:

Print this out, take it to the Keynote event and they'll let you straight in

>>>>>

There is, as usual, a lot of discussion about the meaning of wording on the invite, and I came upon this which I thought to be quite funny, so I thought I'd post it here:

Quote Originally Posted by Icyculyr View Post
    4) And, most of all, you know when Apple's announced it and sent out an invite for the 7th of March. (Just as "rumoured/leaked".)

Here's the invite:
    Didn't know they did that sort of thing. I see they are still being a bit cryptic on the invite, but it's not hard to work out what it's really for

While some of these "rumours" turn out to be true, they don't always get it right; the iPhone 4S being a prime example. I still think its a bit silly to be asking "will you go and buy this device despite having zero knowledge of what specs it will have?". Having said that, you can probably assume it will be a step above the iPad2 in all areas.

Didn't know they did that sort of thing. I see they are still being a bit cryptic on the invite, but it's not hard to work out what it's really for
    Yeah, they send out invites for major events. It is a bit cryptic, but that's how they roll -- they're very secretive.

The OS X Lion Keynote invite's tag line was "Back to the Mac", which makes you think they're getting back to working on the Mac, but when you watch it you realise an additional meaning, as Apple said they're bringing the best of iOS "Back to the Mac".
    While some of these "rumours" turn out to be true, they don't always get it right; the iPhone 4S being a prime example. I still think its a bit silly to be asking "will you go and buy this device despite having zero knowledge of what specs it will have?". Having said that, you can probably assume it will be a step above the iPad2 in all areas.
    It's not quite like that. The information available from MacRumors gives you everything you need to know about it. There's rumours, credible rumours, leaks, and credible leaks, and combined with discoveries from the latest iOS Beta, and what technology is available today, you can extrapolate what the product will be.

From what I know this is what we'll see:

• iPad 3 16GB $499 / 32GB $599 / 64GB $699
    • Quad-core Cortex A9 processor (or possibly, Cortex A15)
    • PowerVR SGX543MP4-8
    • Retina 2048x1536 display (264 PPI)
    • 1GB RAM
    • 8MP Rear Camera
    • 3G & LTE model (for ~+$100)

We know, at the very least, the basic direction the iPad 3 is going. But, it's safe to assume a lot more than that depending on the information available.

For example, references to the A6 and a quad-core processor have been found in the latest iOS 5 Beta, that coupled with several different rumours that the iPad 3 will be a quad-core is strong evidence of it. There's also references to the A5X and a dual-core processor, and there was one rumour that said the iPad 3 will be a dual-core, but more evidence points to it being a quad-core.

Last year, driver references to the PowerVR SGX543 were found in the latest iOS 4 Beta, and thus it was assumed that would be the GPU in the iPad 2, and it was. It's similar to the above.
    Last edited by Icyculyr; Mar 3rd, 2012 at 01:16 AM.

It's not quite like that. The information available from MacRumors gives you everything you need to know about it. There's rumours, credible rumours, leaks, and credible leaks, and combined with discoveries from the latest iOS Beta, and what technology is available today, you can extrapolate what the product will be.

From what I know this is what we'll see:

• iPad 3 16GB $499 / 32GB $599 / 64GB $699
    • Quad-core Cortex A9 processor (or possibly, Cortex A15)
    • PowerVR SGX543MP4-8
    • Retina 2048x1536 display (264 PPI)
    • 1GB RAM
    • 8MP Rear Camera
    • 3G & LTE model (for ~+$100)

We know, at the very least, the basic direction the iPad 3 is going. But, it's safe to assume a lot more than that depending on the information available.

For example, references to the A6 and a quad-core processor have been found in the latest iOS 5 Beta, that coupled with several different rumours that the iPad 3 will be a quad-core is strong evidence of it. There's also references to the A5X and a dual-core processor, and there was one rumour that said the iPad 3 will be a dual-core, but more evidence points to it being a quad-core.

Last year, driver references to the PowerVR SGX543 were found in the latest iOS 4 Beta, and thus it was assumed that would be the GPU in the iPad 2, and it was. It's similar to the above.
    A screen like that would be seriously awesome. Much better for watching videos than an old laptop screen. Any hints on the front-facing camera specs, or would it be identical to the rear=facing camera? Are those prices in $USD?

A screen like that would be seriously awesome. Much better for watching videos than an old laptop screen. Any hints on the front-facing camera specs, or would it be identical to the rear=facing camera? Are those prices in $USD?
    Indeed it will be awesome. Yeah, I'll be keen to throw a 1080p movie on it just to see how it looks, but games and apps and everything else will look fantastic too.

There's not really been much about the front facing camera, but I expect around 2MP, perhaps the latest "FaceTime HD" camera that's on the latest iMacs and MacBook Pros. (It definitely won't be anything near the rear camera.)

Yes they're in USD.

Yeah there is no option to say "Nope, I dont want one and if I bought a tablet it wouldnt be an apple"
    If you dribble then you are as mad as me

Lost World Creations Website (XBOX Indie games)
    Lene Marlin

Hyperactive Member capsulecorpjx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
    Is anyone planning to buy an iPad 3? Maybe as a gift?
    I'm going to get it later, until I hear what people are saying about the battery life, which still has me worried.

I used to be a hater too, but I think for Tablets and phones, Apple's walled garden is the right approach.
    "I like to run on treadmills, because at least I know I'm getting nowhere."
    - Me

Have a look at these for battery life: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5694/t...n-the-new-ipad

And this for screen quality / battery life: http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_Shoo...tm#Reflections

Apple's actually improved the colour gamut of the display from 40% to 65% of the Adobe RGB, and in Adobe sRGB it's gone from 64% to 95%.

I think you're looking at about 8-9 hours at 50% brightness and 4.5-5 hours at 100% brightness. The iPad 2's display drew 2.5 watts, but the iPad 3's is drawing 7 watts.

Apple's actually improved the colour gamut of the display from 40% to 65% of the Adobe RGB, and in Adobe sRGB it's gone from 64% to 95%.
    I think you meant to say:

Samsung's actually improved the colour gamut of the display from 40% to 65% of the Adobe RGB, and in Adobe sRGB it's gone from 64% to 95%.
    What Apple did was take a bunch of samples from various manufacturers, asked for the price and how fast they could make them, and said: "We'll take this one.".

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    I think you meant to say:

What Apple did was take a bunch of samples from various manufacturers, asked for the price and how fast they could make them, and said: "We'll take this one.".
    I wasn't saying Apple designed it

I wouldn't be surprised if they designed the "retina" display though, that is, figuring out how to fit all those pixels on the display.

It's got some crazy power draw though, the iPhone 4's display draws 0.42w, the iPad 2's display 2.7w, and the iPad 3's display 7w...! Apparently it'll last roughly 25 hours as a wireless hotspot, with the screen off...
    Last edited by Icyculyr; Mar 20th, 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Ah! Finally got some excuses for not buying iPad3

Read it here: http://in.news.yahoo.com/six-problem...-ipad-has.html

I know there would be some issues, that's why I didn't ordered it

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

There's bound to be some faults considering the volume of these Apple is selling, but the only fault in that list is the poor WiFi connectivity.

The heat and increased charging times are consequences of quad-core graphics, the retina display, and a much larger battery. They're not faults, as the article portrays. And they're not fixable either.

My 4S gets very hot when I game on it for fifteen minutes or more, it's never bothered me though.