Thread: Download Security

Download Security

I wrote a program with VB6, created a setup file with Actual Installer and put it on the WEB for people to download.

Using IE9 & trying to download the setup file, I get a message that the fle is unsafe.

What can I do to remove this. Is there a security check I can go through?

Re: Download Security

You need to purchase a trusted certificate. GoDaddy can help you with this.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

@jenner - isn't that just the OP's local browser complaining about downloading an .exe?

Try putting it in a ZIP file instead of the .exe for downloading.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
    You need to purchase a trusted certificate. GoDaddy can help you with this.
    I don't think they deal in code signing certificates, though I may be wrong.

@dilettante: No, they do. I spoke with them on the topic a few months back. They offer a full line of certificate services.

@szlamany: Oh! Yes, I see what you mean. Re-reading it, it does sound like it's the browser and not the UAC complaining. Yea, the only way around that is to ZIP the file or something.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein