Thread: Help Query DB and Display

Exclamation Help Query DB and Display

hi guys i am a total newbie with vb6 can someone please help me with the code? ill give as give as much detail as i can.

here it goes, im building a simple application that queries from the database if its existing or not. if existing it would display the information required found in the database if not a message box will display that it doesn't exist.

here is a screenshot of the form i made

the user will input the patient no. and press the enter key then the rest of the information will be displayed if the record exist.

i have a database named "mdbCapz" with 4 tables "tblPatientFile", "tblImmuFile", "tblExamfile", and "tblVaccineFile".

*Primary key

tblPatientFile - FIELDS *PatNo, CName, FName, MName etc. <-Patient Info dispaly in caption
    tblImmuFile - FIELDS *PatNo, *VCode, Dosage. <-Immunization Info display in flexgrid
    tblExamfile - FIELDS *PatNo, Diag, Direct. <-Diagnosis Info display in flexgrid
    tblVaccineFile - FIELDS *PatNo, *VCode, Description. <-Immunization Info display in flexgrid.

i hope you guys can help me because i dont even know where to start..

PowerPoster

Re: Help Query DB and Display

How much do you know about working with databases from VB6?

You data structure looks a bit off. You have PatNo as the primary key in all the tables which would likely be a problem. In the Patient file it makes total sense to use that as the primary key but not in any of the others as you will likely need a one to many realionship here. In other words 1 patient can have more than 1 immunization, more than 1 exam, more than 1 vaccine. You will need to setup a different primary key on these tables and allow duplicates of the PatNo in order for this to work in a real senario.

To fetch the data you will need either a complex select query or 4 simple select queries. If you do not know how to do a select query and display the data then you should do a search for working with databases in VB6 and ADO

Thanks for the reply DataMiser, i really dont know much working with database in vb6.
    also thanks for pointing out the primary key problem ill be changing therm.

*Primary Key

tblPatientFile - FIELDS *PFPatNo, CName, FName, MName etc. <-Patient Info dispaly in caption
    tblImmuFile - FIELDS *IMPatNo, *VCode, Dosage. <-Immunization Info display in flexgrid
    tblExamfile - FIELDS *EFPatNo, Diag, Direct. <-Diagnosis Info display in flexgrid
    tblVaccineFile - FIELDS *VFPatNo, *VCode, Description. <-Immunization Info display in flexgrid.

is the data structure ok now? and can you help me with the code?
    how do i start querying the database to display the info needed?

also please give me a link where i could easily understand how to work with databases in vb6 and ADO just to point me in the right direction. i tried googling it and read some results but i got more confused. i thought vb6 is easy i guess i was wrong. we will be using the application in our village health center, so all the help you guys give is much appreciated.

PowerPoster

It looks like you changed the name of the fields for PatNo. The name was not the issue. Your primary key needs to be something that is not duplicated within the table. You will likely need to repeat the PatNo in 3 of these tables so that is where the issue comes in.

You should do a google search for database samples or tutorials to help you get started. There are lost of these all over the internet.