Thread: looking for code for... not sure..

looking for code for... not sure..

strange topic right..

but I'm working on a website and one aspect is a blog or message board or the like.. and I guess that is my issue.. I'm trying to find code for it.. but
    I dont know the term I think for what I want..

so what I want is where I put a topic at the top.. and users who are logged
    in can just put one two line comments on the topic..

very simple form where they type in comment on the question and submit..
    then everyone can see all the comments from all the other users.. kinda like
    a mass IM ... but is that a blog or a message board or what.. not sure the
    term I should be searching for.. I found some blog code.. but its too many options.. and I found some message board stuff but it was less but still too much.. so if anyone knows the term if what I need ?? and maybe a site that has some sample code to yank ?

thanks in advance..

Frenzied Member

Re: looking for code for... not sure..

Message board or guestbook?

Depending on what you want, it sounds closer to a blog than an actual forum type board.
    I recommend wordpress - http://www.wordpress.org it's simple and fairly easy to work with, been around for years and has a huge user base following.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I'll take a look at wordpress.. but I think what I was looking for
    was a simple chat room.. I found some examples on the net..

now I just need to find a good login script with email confirmation..

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sauerwald View Post
    I'll take a look at wordpress.. but I think what I was looking for
    was a simple chat room.. I found some examples on the net..

now I just need to find a good login script with email confirmation..
    You could learn PHP and write it yourself. Once you learn the basics it is pretty easy to write a simple login script. You should also learn SQL to manage user accounts.

oh I had I first looked at PHP 3 weeks ago.. and I have written like 20 pages of it for this website I'm working on.. most if it is taking snipits from here and there and redoing to suit my needs... I was just looking for some base code for user login etc.. to then hack apart..

look up oAuth ... it's an authentication library built on the Open Authentication model...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *