Thread: Linksys WRT54G2 v1

Question Linksys WRT54G2 v1

I am firmware upgrade for my linksys router wrt54g2 v1 i am using ddrwt firmware and following instruction and upgrading failed. after i get that error my router power led off and it not turns on even i reset the router 30/30/30 or plug it out 15mins it not turns on but i can ping my router. What is the problem? My router is dead?
    Last edited by bloodsside14; Aug 15th, 2010 at 09:12 PM.

Give some REP. if my POST is helpful

Re: Need help asap :(

Putting a meaningful name for the thread instead of "Need help asap " trying putting the subject you need help with in the thread title.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Re: Linksys WRT54G2 v1

Okay now i already solve my problem. Sorry for the name of thread i am only panic for my router gone.

Configuring QoS in my new DDRWT Firmware someone help me to do this? Priority by IP address of one computer.

Excellent. How did you solve it? A factory reset should be the first thing to try in cases like that.

Regarding QoS, if you are going to prioritize by IP, make sure that you enable and set address reservation in the DHCP of the router. I'm guessing the router has it. If not, there IP that a device/computer gets can change, and priority settings will get mixed up. With address reservation, every device will always be assigned the same IP by the router.

Excellent. How did you solve it? A factory reset should be the first thing to try in cases like that.

Regarding QoS, if you are going to prioritize by IP, make sure that you enable and set address reservation in the DHCP of the router. I'm guessing the router has it. If not, there IP that a device/computer gets can change, and priority settings will get mixed up. With address reservation, every device will always be assigned the same IP by the router.
    How to solve it? Trying to unplug my router to the switch and then do the 30/30/30 reset to go back to factory setup then used ftp to upgrade the firmware to DDRWT and now it works perfectly.

I assigned my desktop computer IP address to 192.168.1.2 and subnet 255.255.255.0.
    What do you mean enabling reserved DHCP? Where can i find that i browse the setting and go to the QoS set up and i found only Service Priority, Netmask Priority, Mac Priority.

Whenever you upgrade the dd-wrt version, you should re-set it to the defaults, do the upgrade then put all your settings back

What baja means is setting a static IP address, in your router click the services tab and you'll see the spot at the bottom where you set a specific ip address to a specific mac address and you give it a PC name so you know what computer it's being set to. From there you can also do port forwarding and other things too. Here's more info: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Static_DHCP
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Mac Priority is what you are after then. MAC is a physical address of the network device, and it is unique for every device. You can find the MAC address of a computer by typing: "ipconfig /all" in the command prompt (without quotes) and looking for Physical Address.

I put all the settings back of my router and all are working fine now. I upgrade my router because i want to configure the QoS to have a priority device. What if i only use dynamic i don't want static because if some device connecting to my router ("visitors") and they use buffering sites and i am working to my desktop and i will receive a slow connection because their surfing a buffering site.

I have only 512kbps speed connection so i want to be prioritize my computer or mac address of all user even it is not static.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsside14 View Post
    I put all the settings back of my router and all are working fine now. I upgrade my router because i want to configure the QoS to have a priority device. What if i only use dynamic i don't want static because if some device connecting to my router ("visitors") and they use buffering sites and i am working to my desktop and i will receive a slow connection because their surfing a buffering site.

I have only 512kbps speed connection so i want to be prioritize my computer or mac address of all user even it is not static.
    I believe QoS does prioritization by IP address, so you can prioritize your computer if it gets the IP address that you specify as the priority IP, which is why you'd want your computer's MAC address to receive a static IP address so it can have priority all the time, every time.

Let all the other computers have a dynamic IP address (even guests) just specify your computer in the static IP address table.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

To make it clear, you will not be assigning a static IP on your computer. All computers should be set to obtain the IP automatically. The difference is that in the routers DHCP, you set reservation, so each computer gets the same IP from the router, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    To make it clear, you will not be assigning a static IP on your computer. All computers should be set to obtain the IP automatically. The difference is that in the routers DHCP, you set reservation, so each computer gets the same IP from the router, every time.
    Okay. I need to change my desktop to dynamic and set it to obtain IP automatically. "DHCP Reservation where the ip are in set even it is wifi. "the next connection will be same IP again? Means FIX IP.

Okay. I need to change my desktop to dynamic and set it to obtain IP automatically. "DHCP Reservation where the ip are in set even it is wifi. "the next connection will be same IP again? Means FIX IP.
    Yes, all computers themselves are set to receive the IP address and DNS dynamic. Then on the router set a static IP address for your desktop computer's MAC address, then set the QoS priority for said IP address.

Your computer (as long as you dont change network cards) will receive the same IP address everytime. Be sure to set that static IP address to something that's not in the DHCP range, for example my desktop computer's IP address is always '192.168.1.2' and my router's DHCP range is: 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.99, so my desktop computer's IP will never be taken because it's outside of the range of IP addresses that are dynamically given out.

Then on the router set a static IP address for your desktop computer's MAC address, then set the QoS priority for said IP address.

Your computer (as long as you dont change network cards) will receive the same IP address everytime. Be sure to set that static IP address to something that's not in the DHCP range, for example my desktop computer's IP address is always '192.168.1.2' and my router's DHCP range is: 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.99, so my desktop computer's IP will never be taken because it's outside of the range of IP addresses that are dynamically given out.
    Where can i find that? Where can i set static IP for my desktop in router? and how will i know what is the range of my DHCP ?

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    Be sure to set that static IP address to something that's not in the DHCP range, for example my desktop computer's IP address is always '192.168.1.2' and my router's DHCP range is: 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.99, so my desktop computer's IP will never be taken because it's outside of the range of IP addresses that are dynamically given out.
    Good idea. Sounds logical, but I'm wondering if it is necessary. I suppose that the DHCP would be smart enough not to assign the reserved IPs to any other device, even though they might be free. I have 8-9 IPs reserved, .2 - .10, DHCP range is .2 to .254, yet I never had any collisions (Netgear WGR614). I guess it couldn't hurt to set it as a precaution.

Good idea. Sounds logical, but I'm wondering if it is necessary. I suppose that the DHCP would be smart enough not to assign the reserved IPs to any other device, even though they might be free. I have 8-9 IPs reserved, .2 - .10, DHCP range is .2 to .254, yet I never had any collisions (Netgear WGR614). I guess it couldn't hurt to set it as a precaution.
    Even if it is smart enough to handle that (which I believe it would be) I still put the assigned one far enough away from the range so whenever I look at the client table I easily see the assigned ones separate from the dynamic ones.

Ah, that's a very good idea. But I probably wont change my home setup, at least, it's a pretty locked down network, WPA2 encryption, MAC filtering, plus turned off SSID broadcast

Ah, that's a very good idea. But I probably wont change my home setup, at least, it's a pretty locked down network, WPA2 encryption, MAC filtering, plus turned off SSID broadcast
    Me too, that's why I did the static IP thing from the beginning, the other security measures were added as needed. Though I did set AES encryption and no SSID broadcasting from the beginning too.

Can you post some screen shot to do what are you telling me so it is clear to me? Cause i am confuse what do i need to do.

From what I've read here http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wi...4G2/m-p/196628 your router doesn't have address reservation
    What you can do then is assign static IPs to each computer (on the computer, under network properties), be careful to assign different IP for each one starting from .2 > Then set your DHCP to Startgin IP from .100 (to be safe), here's a screen shot

baja, he's using the dd-wrt firmware, not the linksys firmware so he needs the instructions for dd-wrt on assigning the static ip address.

bloodsside, did you even open my link back in post #6? If you had then you would have seen this not too far down the page:

You specify the MAC address, give it an understandable name and the IP address that you want that MAC address (that computer) to always have.

Yes i am using ddrwt firmware now baja.

@Juggalo

Sample of static leases:

1) My Mac address : 00:AE:0D:FF:BE:56 | My IP : 192.168.1.10 | My Pc name : bloodsside14

2) Client Mac : 00:AE:0D:FB:BD:57 | Client IP : 192.168.1.11 | Client Pc name : Horny

Let assume all are correct mac,ip,pc name under my network, I am correct ?
    What if there is cellphone user connecting my router what should i do? I am also declare their mac , ip , pc name? Because i am on the static network.

Let assume all are correct mac,ip,pc name under my network, I am correct ?
    What if there is cellphone user connecting my router what should i do? I am also declare their mac , ip , pc name? Because i am on the static network.
    I wouldn't worry about that, let it be given one of the IP addresses in the dhcp range. If you give the static PC's IP addresses that are similar as the dhcp range then the static IP's are on the same network as the dynamic ones.

Okay. I will try that later and set feedback what will happen next.

This thread is dated but I thought I'd post here since Linksys WRT54G2 v1 is the subject of my question.

Here are the deets:

I'm on a Macbook. I'm connected through cable internet. I bought a used router (why you would do that when I can buy a new one with instructions for 5$ more is beyond the point, please see my username). The device seems to be working fine (I can access the 192.168.1.1 through router-to-computer cord), I've already put in a new username and password, I've cloned the Mac address, but for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to get this baby to give me wireless internet. I followed all the Mac troubleshooting steps on Cisco's website and called my provider to see if maybe I was missing something (no). A connection shows up in my networks... Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Decidedly, not a techie.

Quote Originally Posted by notatechie View Post
    This thread is dated but I thought I'd post here since Linksys WRT54G2 v1 is the subject of my question.

Here are the deets:

I'm on a Macbook. I'm connected through cable internet. I bought a used router (why you would do that when I can buy a new one with instructions for 5$ more is beyond the point, please see my username). The device seems to be working fine (I can access the 192.168.1.1 through router-to-computer cord), I've already put in a new username and password, I've cloned the Mac address, but for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to get this baby to give me wireless internet. I followed all the Mac troubleshooting steps on Cisco's website and called my provider to see if maybe I was missing something (no). A connection shows up in my networks... Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Decidedly, not a techie.
    Yup, this thread is too old. But your question is related here.

In my experience on my Linksys wireless router try to not clone the mac address just disable it.