Thread: [RESOLVED] VS2010 requires administrative privilege???

Resolved [RESOLVED] VS2010 requires administrative privilege???

I recently upgraded my work PC from Win7 x86 (32-bit) to Win7 x64 (64-bit). After installing VS2010, I noticed that it now requires administrative privilege to run (as seen in the attached icon image). The odd thing is that it didn't require administrative privilege before when installed in Win7 x86 machine. It also doesn't require administrative privilege in my home PC which also runs Win7 x64. So my question is, why does it ask to run as administrator now in my work machine? The only difference I can see between my home and my work PC is workgroup vs domain... The user accounts in both machines are member of local administrators group.
    Any idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Re: VS2010 requires administrative privilege???

Maybe the user account rules have changed for your work machine?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Fanatic Member

I don't have or have had this problem before.. but have you looked at compatibility in the properties of denev.exe (just right click the shortcut...) and see if "Run this program as administrator" is checked, if not then press "change settings for all users" still in compatibility and see if its checked there.

@Justa Lol: I've checked the compatibility settings for denev.exe, the option "run this program as administrator" is not checked for both me and all users.

@Nightwalker83: I don't think there are any policy changes (since I'm the one who manages those changes and I don't recall making any changes in GPO's before and after reinstalling VS2101 at all)

I did some research on this issue and it seems that I'm not the only one. Most answers just sort of like "if it still works then why bother..." or "you should run denev.exe as administrator anyway. That's the way it should be, so leave it alone." Noone yet is able to point out why the behavior is different from machine to machine... I guess I just have to accept one of the answers above
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by stanav View Post
    I recently upgraded my work PC from Win7 x86 (32-bit) to Win7 x64 (64-bit). After installing VS2010, I noticed that it now requires administrative privilege to run (as seen in the attached icon image). The odd thing is that it didn't require administrative privilege before when installed in Win7 x86 machine. It also doesn't require administrative privilege in my home PC which also runs Win7 x64. So my question is, why does it ask to run as administrator now in my work machine? The only difference I can see between my home and my work PC is workgroup vs domain... The user accounts in both machines are member of local administrators group.
    Any idea?
    I'm sorry but I just got to ask....
    After you upgraded to Win7 64 bit, did you install VS2010 under a user account? If you did it most likely inherited the account's limited privledges.

Quote Originally Posted by B61Nuke View Post
    I'm sorry but I just got to ask....
    After you upgraded to Win7 64 bit, did you install VS2010 under a user account? If you did it most likely inherited the account's limited privledges.
    Probably you already know it, but software installations can't be performed under limited user accounts. Therefore, it's not possible that VS2010 was installed under a limited user account...
    Anyway, to answer your question, these were the steps I took:
    1. Clean install of Win7 x64.
    2. Bring windows up to date by repeatedly running windows updates
    3. Install all company standard programs
    4. Join the domain. Add user (myself - domain user account) and set it as a member of local administrators group.
    5. Sign in with my domain user account.
    6. Install VS2010.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Re: [RESOLVED] VS2010 requires administrative privilege???

There were a bunch of windows updates (11) get applied yesterday. And all of a sudden, VS2010 doesn't requires administrative privilege any more after the updates (the shield image on the icon is now gone). Although this still remains a mystery, I'll go ahead and mark it as resolved for now.
    Thank everyone for your participation in this thread.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Addicted Member

Re: [RESOLVED] VS2010 requires administrative privilege???

If it is working and you had your hand on it when it started working right, you get the credit! Congrats!