Thread: Image recognition

Hybrid View

Image recognition

I'm working in a simple app for a card game.

I would like to know the simplest way to find an image on the screen.
    Then compare screen with stored images...

Examples of codes will help a lot.
    Thanks!

Re: Image recognition

Welcome to the forums.

It's not an easy topic at all. If the colors in your stored image are different than the ones on the screen; difficult. Generally one method is to reduce the two images to grayscale or even black & white, then a pixel by pixel comparison can be made with some sort of reliability factor since a perfect match may not be possible. This is still not fool proof. And even more prone to error if you have to scale one of the images for comparison as that can cause color changes in the scaled image

Maybe you can give us more details and we can point you in a different (easier) direction. If it's a game you are making, why do you need to get image data from the screen? Or is this game some other application?
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Re: Image recognition

I think it is pretty obvious that the OP is trying to build a program that reads a game in another application. Without considering whether or not the OP is attempting something legal or illegal, I'll just focus in generalities:

Image recognition as a general problem is UNSOLVED. This is why things like CAPTCHA and RECHAPTCHA work. Thus, nobody on this planet can give you a general solution, algorithm, or source code to recognize two images. Short of completing Nobel Prize-caliber research, the best you can do is seek a solution for your specific problem. Thus, if you want us to be able to give you advice, you have to post all details of your problem, including the images themselves (screenshots would be helpful), as well as what type of program you are trying to capture the image from.

Now then, given the grey area of your topic, if you choose to provide more detail, I strongly encourage you to explain in full why you are trying to perform this operation, because unless you have a very good reason, you will probably not get much help here.