Thread: String Manipulation

Exclamation String Manipulation

Guys, can you show me the code of this please:

Microsoft Visual Basic 2008

Create a program that will accept a string and count the:
    a. length of the string (inc. spaces and special characters)
    b. number of lowercase letters (letters only)
    c. number of uppercase letters (letters only)
    d. number of special characters
    e. number of numeric characters (from 0 to 9)

Sample output:

Enter string: vbforums.com
    # of lowercase letters: 11
    # of uppercase letters: 0
    # of special characters: 1
    # of numeric characters: 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you

Re: String Manipulation

I think your teacher intended for you to attempt it on your own. Do this and if you get any problems, post the code and you will receive help here. The members here frown on doing people's homework assignments for them.

Ill throw you a bone still:-
    Example of getting a string's length:
    vbnet Code:
    1. Dim s as String = "Hello"
    2. Dim i as Integer = s.Length 'Strings length in this variable
    Example of getting a character inside the string:-
    vbnet Code:
    1. Dim s As String = "Hello"
    2.         Dim schr As Char = s.Chars(0) 'schr will contain "H"

Use google or the MSDN and put some effort into it lad This is very basic stuff. GL
    Last edited by Niya; Feb 16th, 2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: More bones!!

Convert the original string to a char array, then loop through the char string each char value, and compare to a set of defined values that you've personally told the program to look for; a set of values for lowercase, uppercase, and if the char value that you're currently on in the loop doesn't match one of those, or a space " ", and if it's not numeric (try using the IsNumeric() boolean method), then count it as a special char as it's "unknown".

Just a demonstration for you: DONT READ UNTIL ATTEMPTED ON YOUR OWN
    vb Code:
    1. Private arr_lower As String = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
    2.     Private arr_upper As String = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"

vb Code:
    1. Dim str As String = "This " & Chr(132) & " Is a string 45 "
    2.         Dim spce As Integer, lo As Integer, hi As Integer, sp As Integer, num As Integer = 0
    4.         Dim placeholder() As Char = str.ToCharArray
    6.         For Each char_character In placeholder
    7.             If char_character = " "c Then
    8.                 spce += 1
    9.             ElseIf arr_lower.IndexOf(char_character) <> -1 Then
    10.                 lo += 1
    11.             ElseIf arr_upper.IndexOf(char_character) <> -1 Then
    12.                 hi += 1
    13.             ElseIf IsNumeric(char_character) Then
    14.                 num += 1
    15.             Else
    16.                 sp += 1
    17.             End If
    18.         Next
    21.         MsgBox("Original String: " & str)
    22.         MsgBox("lower: " & lo.ToString)
    23.         MsgBox("upper: " & hi.ToString)
    24.         MsgBox("special: " & sp.ToString)
    25.         MsgBox("num: " & num.ToString)
    26.         MsgBox("length: " & str.Length.ToString)
    27.         MsgBox("# Spaces: " & spce.ToString)

I wasn't sure whether you wanted to count spaces separately, as lowercase/uppercase or as a special char so I counted it separately, as it didn't make sense to me any other logical way. Unless you wanted to count it as a special char, which would have been my next guess.
    Last edited by AceInfinity; Feb 16th, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
    <<<------------
    Improving Managed Code Performance | .NET Application Performance
    < Please if this helped you out. Any kind of thanks is gladly appreciated >

.NET Programming (2012 - 2018)
    ®Crestron - DMC-T Certified Programmer | Software Developer
    <<<------------

Interesting approach. However you didnt need to define the alphabet. The Char class has a number of method that you can use to tell you what kind of character it is. IsNumber/IsDigit and IsLetter are three examples.

I know, but the way I did that was for the reasoning that I did not know which char's he wanted to define as a "letter" for he upper and lowercase integer count values. However that is another approach he could have taken, and created a function to compare with the ToUpper/ToLower methods to see whether they are upper or lowercase.

Something like this works though as well if he wanted a defined value, but he has no control over that, although, it still works:

vb Code:
    1. Dim c As Char = "A"
    2. If Char.IsLetter(c) And c = c.ToString.ToLower Then
    3.     MsgBox("Lowercase Letter")
    4. ElseIf Char.IsLetter(c) And c = c.ToString.ToUpper Then
    5.     MsgBox("Uppercase Letter")
    6. End If
    Last edited by AceInfinity; Feb 17th, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
    <<<------------

<<<------------

i'd use LINQ:

vb Code:
    1. Dim s As String = "Enter string: vbforums.com"
    2. MsgBox(s.Count(Function(c) Char.IsUpper(c)))
    3. MsgBox(s.Count(Function(c) Char.IsLower(c)))
    4. MsgBox(s.Count(Function(c) Char.IsNumber(c)))
    5. MsgBox(s.Count(Function(c) Char.IsPunctuation(c)))

There is no way that a class covering something that basic would have even mentioned LINQ, yet.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

guyz, thank you for helping me. im a beginner in visual basic 2008.
    , i think of using mid() and len() to that but i couldn't get the syntax
    by the way,, thank you and i appreciate your help so much

Quote Originally Posted by AceInfinity View Post
    I know, but the way I did that was for the reasoning that I did not know which char's he wanted to define as a "letter" for he upper and lowercase integer count values. However that is another approach he could have taken, and created a function to compare with the ToUpper/ToLower methods to see whether they are upper or lowercase.

Something like this works though as well if he wanted a defined value, but he has no control over that, although, it still works:

vb Code:
    1. Dim c As Char = "A"
    2. If Char.IsLetter(c) And c = c.ToString.ToLower Then
    3.     MsgBox("Lowercase Letter")
    4. ElseIf Char.IsLetter(c) And c = c.ToString.ToUpper Then
    5.     MsgBox("Uppercase Letter")
    6. End If
    Rather than converting the case, simply use another of the Char methods to check whether it is upper or lower case.

Quote Originally Posted by AceInfinity View Post
    if the char value that you're currently on in the loop doesn't match one of those, or a space " ", and if it's not numeric (try using the IsNumeric() boolean method), then count it as a special char as it's "unknown".
    What about \r, \n and \t characters to name just a few? These are the obvious whitespace characters which probably shouldn't be counted as special characters (for the same reason you're not counting space). But what about, oh, I don't know, character U+200C, the zero width non-joiner character? Wow, Unicode sure does make things a bit more complicated, doesn't it?

Moral of the story: There Ain't No Such Thing As Plaintext Anymore.
    Don't write your own code to reason about text, you will get it wrong.

Also, I hope everyone's implementations will handle these two character strings correctly:

U+00FC (LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH DIAERESIS): "&#252;"

U+0075 (LATIN SMALL LETTER U) U+0308 (COMBINING DIARESIS): "ü"

(Note the second string contains two characters, but just the one glyph. It's the same as the first string)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Giraffe View Post
    Also, I hope everyone's implementations will handle these two character strings correctly:

U+00FC (LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH DIAERESIS): "&#252;"

U+0075 (LATIN SMALL LETTER U) U+0308 (COMBINING DIARESIS): "&#252;"

(Note the second string contains two characters, but just the one glyph. It's the same as the first string)
    Those are special characters, so in my mind they shouldn't be mentioned as a "letter", and more categorized with the special count, which includes "?_*/$" etc...

Same with these: \r, \n and \t

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Giraffe
    No I won't, he wanted to search for special characters as well indicated by "d" in his list:
    Quote Originally Posted by arvinpruiz
    d. number of special characters
    Don't focus on my posts, focus on the original post in this thread, which is where the real solutions should be judged upon. Your first post here is a good suggestion, but the rest veer way off topic to what the original poster wanted to achieve here.

\r\n\t and all other characters like "ü", etc... Are not sang in the alphabet, therefore they are special characters in my opinion, I don't see them on my keyboard, and for others, you see TAB, ENTER, ect, but those are not indicators for char values like the other keys, as they also indicate aliases for "Proceed" "Next" "Continue" "Confirm", etc... For many applications, and other Windows tasks.

Either way, here's an updated version if you're doing it like that:
    Code:
    Dim c As Char = "A"
    If Char.IsLetter(c) And Char.IsUpper(c) Then
        MsgBox("Lowercase Letter")
    ElseIf Char.IsLetter(c) And Char.IsLower(c) Then
        MsgBox("Uppercase Letter")
    End If
    Moral of the story: There Ain't No Such Thing As Plaintext Anymore.
    You simply cannot state what is right or wrong, even based on what you've said here, meaning there's discrepancies in these two lines that you've just stacked on top of one another. If there is no such thing as plaintext, how can you decide what is and what isn't "plaintext" to judge each char value, which is what i'm assuming you're saying here. Therefore, it IS based on perception, as there is no real standardized right and wrong, unless it's based on perception.
    Last edited by AceInfinity; Feb 21st, 2012 at 04:21 AM.
    <<<------------

<<<------------

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by AceInfinity
    You simply cannot state what is right or wrong
    What a ridiculous statement.

The first response to the OP by Niya was a perfect nudge in the right direction, the rest of the 'help' given is far beyond what the OP will have been taught or expected to know.

On top of that, gifting answers AceInfinity and .Paul. isn't exactly how to teach somebody.

I'm beginning to wonder what the point of your little MVP picture is, from what I've seen in this thread you're of no value to anybody wanting to learn VB.NET.

Since pretty much everyone in this thread appears to be labouring under the impression that converting a string to a char array will give you one char structure per character in the string, then yes I can state that any implementation you come up with will have bugs in it.

Don't take that as a personal criticism. The truth is: any implementation that I would come up with would also have bugs in it. In fact, the implementation provided by Microsoft in the .NET BCL has at least one instance of what I would call a bug in it. Remember the two ways of representing "&#252;" in Unicode characters? When you convert those two char arrays to a string object, you'd like the Length property to handle the fact that one of the characters is a combining character that doesn't alter the length of the string wouldn't you? Well it doesn't. It returns the number of Char structures in the underlying Char array. So the two identical text strings (identical at the textual level, that is, clearly not at the encoded level) have different lengths due to the way the characters have been internally represented.

I've tried to be careful in the above paragraph to separate the terminology of a 'char structure' and a 'character'. This is because a char structure is not a representation of a character. It is rather two bytes of a UTF-16 encoding of a Unicode code point.

Yes, not every Unicode character is encoded to two bytes under UTF-16. Funky, no? Take, for example, U+1D434 (MATHEMATICAL ITALIC CAPITAL A). How would you encode that in two bytes under UTF-16? Here's some code to show what it looks like:
    vbnet Code:
    1. Module Module1
    2.     Sub Main()
    3.         Dim stringWithMathematicalCharacter As String = Char.ConvertFromUtf32(&H1D434)
    4.         Dim charArrayWithMathematicalCharacter As Char() = stringWithMathematicalCharacter.ToCharArray()
    5.         For Each charStructure As Char In charArrayWithMathematicalCharacter
    6.             Console.Write("U+{0:X4} ", AscW(charStructure))
    7.         Next
    9.         Console.ReadLine
    10.     End Sub
    11. End Module
    Output:
    Code:
    U+D835 U+DC34
    Two char structures are used to represent one Unicode Code Point.
    Again, the String.Length method says the length of the string is 2.

Hopefully, you can see that text in .NET is frickin' complicated. If you want to handle it correctly, that is. I am not suggesting that the OP would need to handle this level of complexity for a course assignment. I am not suggesting the OP needs to understand everything said here. However, presenting solutions to the OP that also do not handle the complexity without the warning that the complexity is out there is only reinforcing the myth that it is simple. I have little faith in programming course instructors to be aware of this themselves in order to teach their students about it.

Quote Originally Posted by OhGreen View Post

The first response to the OP by Niya was a perfect nudge in the right direction, the rest of the 'help' given is far beyond what the OP will have been taught or expected to know.

On top of that, gifting answers AceInfinity and .Paul. isn't exactly how to teach somebody.

I'm beginning to wonder what the point of your little MVP picture is, from what I've seen in this thread you're of no value to anybody wanting to learn VB.NET.
    Ridiculous? You didn't read anything I said did you?

Here you go by assuming what the OP knows, or how much he would like to learn a few different methods of doing the same thing to expand upon his learning. So you're criticizing me for helping him out in that regard which is "ridiculous". Niya had posted a good nudge in the right direction, but did NOT answer ALL of the OP questions, I simply tried to help with that. You did not help the OP at all, so i'm not sure why you're trying to pick a debate here. This discussion definitely does not help the OP at all.

I gave him a way to do it, and explained how he might go about it, if he was stuck then I provided example code for him, in what other way am I wrong here? I don't know.

Here is what he posted: http://www.vbforums.com/showpost.php...30&postcount=8
    Quote Originally Posted by arvinpruiz
    guyz, thank you for helping me. im a beginner in visual basic 2008.
    , i think of using mid() and len() to that but i couldn't get the syntax
    by the way,, thank you and i appreciate your help so much
    Therefore what previous members; Niya, paul, myself, etc, have posted evidently did help him out.

Anyone who posted after this did not attempt to help OP out at all, but rather chose to fight with me about my methods for some strange unknown reason.

Did you read the part where I posted this?

Quote Originally Posted by AceInfinity
    Convert the original string to a char array, then loop through the char string each char value, and compare to a set of defined values that you've personally told the program to look for; a set of values for lowercase, uppercase, and if the char value that you're currently on in the loop doesn't match one of those, or a space " ", and if it's not numeric (try using the IsNumeric() boolean method), then count it as a special char as it's "unknown".

Just a demonstration for you: DONT READ UNTIL ATTEMPTED ON YOUR OWN
    And maybe it isn't, but if someone doesn't understand code, that's where it should be clear that they ask questions to get a better understanding. Learning isn't always about doing everything on your own. Sometimes you need help, and sometimes it's nice to see the way other people achieve things with a bit of code to expand upon how things work in the syntax.

Not to mention, if you go anywhere else for help, you're either going to get the worded answer of some code, pseudo code, or just plain code itself. There is no other way to learn. Try going to MSDN, you'll get ideas on how methods work, and code, which is basically the same thing. So if you could help me understand as to how I could have done anything else better, while still answering all the OP's questions like I did (maybe not in a bullet proof method as Evil_Giraffe is saying, but you're not going to really get that unless you have even more sophisticated code. So if you thought that MY reply was above what OP was "expected to know" then I don't understand how anybody could have helped him without going overboard.)

I will refer you to the post that the OP had written out here: http://www.vbforums.com/showpost.php...30&postcount=8

Next time- think and actually read, before you decide to post obnoxious words. What you've posted here is literally 100 times more ridiculous than anything else i've posted in this whole thread. I am posting by common sense, I did what I set out to do here, and apparently it was successful as the OP had gotten a better understanding of many different ways he could go about doing what he wanted to do, and NOT JUST BY MY FEEDBACK, but paul's and Niya's as well. If you're just here to pick a fight, you're on the wrong forum.

You clearly did not think about what you were trying to say here though, and for that I had to tell you how you were way off key in what you've just tried to point out. Every line i've posted in return to your direct sentences to me is complete nonsense (it doesn't make sense to me, and I have no idea what you're trying to achieve here, or why you've decided to target me), and if you actually read this response of mine, you will see why, as I do explain myself based on every little stanza that you've posted towards me here.

This is already off topic, but from the discussion between me and Evil_Giraffe, I can already tell you that it's much more productive discussion than what you've tried to instigate in the one (unhelpful *to OP anyway* & disrespectful) post you've written in this thread. Next time please consider what you're trying to say before saying it.

@Evil_Giraffe - Thanks for posting that. This IS definitely a helpful post, and with no offense intended, much better of a reply than your previous posts. That is true, and something probably worthwhile to consider. Maybe restricting the input to a list of known/common values would help to prevent that possibility?
    Last edited by AceInfinity; Feb 22nd, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
    <<<------------

<<<------------

Hyperactive Member

If the OP copies your code, makes slight modifications, hands the project to his teacher, gets an A... what did he learn?

What is the point in posting an entire solution, rather than providing information on ways in which the OP could attempt it?

When you were taught Mathematics, you weren't taught every answer, if I said what is (143+5604)-12 you would be able to (I hope) work it out even though you may never have seen that problem before. That's because you can apply the rules you have been taught to the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by OhGreen View Post
    If the OP copies your code, makes slight modifications, hands the project to his teacher, gets an A... what did he learn?

What is the point in posting an entire solution, rather than providing information on ways in which the OP could attempt it?

When you were taught Mathematics, you weren't taught every answer, if I said what is (143+5604)-12 you would be able to (I hope) work it out even though you may never have seen that problem before. That's because you can apply the rules you have been taught to the same problem.
    If he has no desire to learn, VBforums is not the ONLY place where he can copy out code. So that, unfortunately should be none of my problem, which is where you're mistaken.

I replied to a similar sentence of yours dealing with this idea above. I did post and provide information on how he could attempt it and provided the code itself for him to use at his own discretion.

When you were taught Mathematics, you weren't taught every answer, if I said what is (143+5604)-12 you would be able to (I hope) work it out even though you may never have seen that problem before.
    Okay... But having never seen the concept of addition itself which could be related to the OP not having known anything about string manipulation before, I'm sure I was taught and walked through a few examples first.

That's because you can apply the rules you have been taught to the same problem.
    Having never learned the rules in the first place however, provides a barrier on anyone being able to start learning on their own. So I pushed him in the direction of the "yellow brick road" to lead him to how he can start learning about methods to start doing this on his own. Along with Niya, and even .paul. for that matter, even though LINQ is pretty advanced, it's something that gives him insight into methods that he can look into in the future if he wishes to progress.
    <<<------------

<<<------------

guys... guys... settle down. Let's not turn this into a pissing contest. Don't make me separate the two of you. I think it's fair to say that anything since post #5 is over the top and out of scope for the OP.

I think OhGreen's comment about not simply forking over code w/o a lot of explanation is valid. So what if they can find it else where... let them go somewhere else for it. Generally when people post here, they're looking for help, not a hand out... granted there are a few that are... but they don't usually hang out here for very long.

Ace - as an MVP, I think your tone sucks. There was no need to take any of it personally, now you're coming off as a pompous arse. This doesn't reflect well on you or MVPs in general. We're supposed to be better than that. There are problems sometimes with providing a high-end solution when it's not warranted.
    OG - your tone isn't much better.
    Seems the two of you both took something personally when you shouldn't have.

The OP even stated SPECIFICALLY " im a beginner in visual basic 2008. , i think of using mid() and len() to that but i couldn't get the syntax " .... and that right there should have been the end of the LINQ, Unicode and what-not nonsense. At that point, it should have been pointed on how to do a SIMPLE loop.... use the string.substring function ... and maybe the Upper, Lower, IsDigit, IsAlpha (or what ever ti is) functions, and that should have been the end of it. Instead we got into this ***** waving dissertation about who THINKS what is a character vs a letter vs a "special" character. (I'd argue that letters with umlauts and grave accents are letters, they may not be on the keyboard, but you can hit combinations to punch them in, and in various languages they are part of the language naturally).

So I'm sure that by now the OP is completely confused. I know I am, and I've been doing this a long time.

Now, both of you knock it off, and if you want to continue the fight, get your own thread.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

@arvinpruiz -- hopefully you're still with the thread. Don't worry about len or mid ... those are older constructs of VB6 and earlier. Post #4 & 9 probably contain all that you need. In sort, .Length on the string varaible will get you the length. You can use the substring method to get individual letter from it, or use the character array as shown in those posts.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I do undoubtedly agree, I am one however to stand up for what I believe in, and i'm man enough to admit when I am wrong or out of place, which is where I can back myself up with this. I hadn't took anything to heart until he had the audacity to post a line questioning my MVP status, with a definite lack of knowledge about who I am or what I do and what I stand for. That in my opinion was much out of line, and I have handled things in better ways in the past.

Everybody lets something slip once in a while though hey? It's the good guys that let's those moments happen less often though. I have hard times getting my tone right, i've been working on English for a while now, and getting better. My time spent on forums have gradually improved my grammar and all that, but the way I come off sometimes is hard to portray the ways in which I hoped to set them out to others sometimes. My apologies to everyone...

My passion is with absolutely everything about computers though, so sometimes I take things harder than most others if someone attempts to insult me in a way regarding with this.

Cheers!
    ~AceInfinity
    Last edited by AceInfinity; Feb 23rd, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
    <<<------------

<<<------------