Thread: Patriotism

Addicted Member

Patriotism

We as citizens of various nations should observe our national holidays in remembrance of those people and/or events who these holidays are dedicated to.

Tomorrow the United States of America will observe President George Washington's birthday. President Washington played a major role in helping create a country with so many freedoms that a lot of people come from their home countries to the country I and many Americans - regardless of our opinions - are proud to call our home.
    Do not read this sentence.
    You read that last one, didn't you?
    Darn. You now read the previous two.

Check out my pins on Pinterest!

Re: Patriotism

...with many freedoms, for whites.

I much dislike how people tend to romanticize and idolize prominent figures, elevating their positive sides and skipping the negative sides. You'll hear a lot of people talk about the great inventor Thomas Edison, who invented the light bulb (well, not really), the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and other things. But few will say that he was more a ruthless businessman than anything else who used to publicly execute animals, even one elephant trying to scare people away from Tesla's AC electricity so they'd use his DC generators, or how he used to hire thugs to beat up film producers that used motion picture technology other than his. And Pablo Picasso was this brilliant painter, not a guy who used to beat up women he was involved with and put out cigars on them. No, you wont hear that, because everything was fantastic and magical back in the "good old days".

Much the same is there for Washington, but he was fairly enlightened for his day, and generally improved himself over time. His early escapades were largely disasterous, but he did have that peculiar talent to learn from his mistakes. I doubt the young Washington would have been much of a leader of anything, but he learned enough early on that he was able to make several very wise moves once he was older.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Ah yes, George Washington, the father of our country.

That, of course, makes us all brothers and sisters and in the entire history of the human race has there been a more disfunctional family?

Probably....but at the moment, I can't think of it.

I'm guessing this thread didn't go quite how Moonman envisioned it.
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com

I do not care much for patriotism.
    Rate posts that helped you. I do not reply to PM's with coding questions.
    How to Get Your Questions Answered
    Current project: tunaOS
    Me on.. BitBucket, Google Code, Github (pretty empty)

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
    I do not care much for patriotism.
    Indeed.

Flag waving of any sort makes me wonder what they are trying to distract my attention from.

People usually say, "My country, right or wrong!" when it is the latter.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    ...with many freedoms, for whites.

I much dislike how people tend to romanticize and idolize prominent figures, elevating their positive sides and skipping the negative sides. You'll hear a lot of people talk about the great inventor Thomas Edison, who invented the light bulb (well, not really), the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and other things. But few will say that he was more a ruthless businessman than anything else who used to publicly execute animals, even one elephant trying to scare people away from Tesla's AC electricity so they'd use his DC generators, or how he used to hire thugs to beat up film producers that used motion picture technology other than his. And Pablo Picasso was this brilliant painter, not a guy who used to beat up women he was involved with and put out cigars on them. No, you wont hear that, because everything was fantastic and magical back in the "good old days".
    Pretty much the same in today's time here in America. Instead of DC generators, we have cattleprods and the freedoms of whites are diminished due to varrious laws targeting certain prerequisites, but all in all the same today. It will never get better, only worse.

Nothing wrong with being a Parrot.