Thread: [RESOLVED] VB6 Binary Compatibility

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] VB6 Binary Compatibility

Hi,

I have a problem compiling my VB6 project using the command line compiler.

When the project is compiled in the IDE the compiler asks if I want to Break Compatibility or Preserve Compatibility. I always select Preserve and click the checkbox to treat other incompatibilities the same.

However on the command line I just get an error saying there was a compatibility error and compilation fails. Is there a way to get around this using the command line compiler?

Cheers

Re: VB6 Binary Compatibility

If you look in my sig, there's a posting on the use of Compatibility and why it's important.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

Hi,

My project is set to binary compatibility with a much older version. Some of the public interfaces have been modified with extra parameters, although existing parameters have not been removed. I presume that this is what allows me to preserve compatibility. My project is a dll snapin used by MMC (Microsoft Management Console).

I suppose if I created new functions instead of modifying the existing ones VB wouldn't complain.

I can compile fine in the IDE, I wanted to compile from the command line as part of a build script.

Addicted Member

I've now included the interface definitions that were present in the old dll but missing/modified in the current dll. After fixing name conflicts my program compiles and I do not get the dialog asking me to preserve/break compatibility. I can now compile from the command line.

Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 Binary Compatibility

I am facing the same issue, please explain how you included the interface definitions.