Thread: Windows 7 virus

Addicted Member

Windows 7 virus

Hello all, I have recently downloaded a file called setup.exe and when I opened it, it deleted itself. Somewhat later it closed all my programs and took something from me. I think they are monitoring my PC and have put a keylogger on it as well. My Anti-virus can't detect anything and I searched a lot. This is the link to the program: <removed by moderator>
    I have changed the .exe to .txt, it made a little bit clear but I couldn't seem to remove it still.

What can I do about this? I already tried a system backup, but it didn't work.
    Sincerely Nick Dekker
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Feb 17th, 2012 at 10:00 AM.

Re: Windows 7 virus

First off, I'd remove that link as it could be dangerous. Second, this belongs in the General PC forum, not the Visual Basic one.

Finally, take your machine to Geek Squad or a similar computer pro shop and have them thoroughly check it over. If you're comfortable with it though, I'd just reinstall Windows.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Question - what DID you think you were downloading?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Thread moved to the 'General PC' forum. (thanks for letting us know folks )

Addicted Member

Its okay if I have to reinstall windows, I don't have a lot of important things on my computer. But whats the easiest way to do so?
    thanks

Easiest way? First back up the things you want to keep like programming projects, documents, pictures, music, etc to either a USB stick drive or external hard drive.

Next, take an inventory of all the programs you'll want to reinstall and make sure you have the disks/license codes for them. Make sure if any program requires you to "deactivate" it's license, you do this. If you have Microsoft Office, make sure you have your install key.

Take an inventory of hardware drivers you may need and pre-download them to that external drive... ESPECIALLY any network drivers (you don't want to be in the chicken-and-egg syndrome of "I need to download the driver to get my internet to work... but I need the internet to download the driver...")

Finally, put the Windows 7 disk in the drive and select it from the boot menu. When it asks you what you want to do, tell it you want a new installation. When it asks to select the hard drive partition, tell it to format it first to wipe everything out.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Addicted Member

I guess that would work, but the problem is, Windows 7 was installed on this computer by default. I don't have an installation disk.

Every manufacturer has a way to reinstall Windows. It's either installed to a recovery partition or it came with a disk or you have to contact the OEM and buy a media disk from them.

- Albert Einstein