Thread: vb.net /vb 6.0

vb.net /vb 6.0

I've been trying to get a code that can copy a database in vb such that a user can do it can any 1 think of such a code?
    in both vb.net and 6.0

Re: vb.net /vb 6.0

Hey koniz, glad to see you posting in the forums

When you say copy a database so that a user can do it, copy it how? Like what happens when you copy and a paste a file from my documents to my desktop, or copy the contents of a database and paste such contents into a new database file. Also, what would you be using? Like Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, or perhaps SQL. Further more, what year would it be(2003, 2007, 2010?).

We would love to help you, but a bit more information would be helpful. I would take a look at techgnome's thread first before you post.

To wrap up, even though you would like a code, generally a bit of effort on your behalf is greatly appreciated.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I am trying to develop a new program a school examination system. i was trying to make it in such a way that each class has its own table in an MS ACCESS database. I'm stuck at a code where students names have to be copying from one table to the next at the end of each year as they advance to the next class. how can i do that. thanx in advance if you have any idea of how to do it better you can help me

You would absolutely not do it that way. That completely defeats the purpose of a relational database. You would have one table for students, so each student has one row in that table. You would have one table for classes, so each class has one row in that table. Each of those tables would have an ID column. You would also have a third table that contained one record for each student taking a class. For example, if you have students 1 and 2 and you had classes 1, 2 and 3 and student 1 was taking classes 1 and 2 and student 2 was taking classes 2 and 3 then your third table would have four records. This approach has various advantages, not least among them is the fact that what you're asking to be done, i.e. duplicating data, doesn't have to be done. Databases are always designed in such a way that, once deployed, you only have to create new rows and never new tables or columns.

Frenzied Member

easy to do depends on your actual db contens and the functionality that depends on names within it

The quiz was: develop an examination system that can compute students total marks, grade, rank them and generate a report card. The examination process is as follows:
    The subjects categories are divided into groups: group 1 contains Mathematics, English and Kiswahili. Group two contains Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Group Three contains Geography ,History and CRE. Group Four contains Business studies, French Music and Germany. Group five contains Agriculture, computer studies, Art and Drawing and design
    Four classes namely form 1, 2, 3 and 4. Classes are progression meaning you start with form 1 complete it with examination then if pass advance to the next class i.e. form Two.
    Each student in form one and two does 11 subjects /units. Group 1 Group 2 are compulsory. He or she has to choose one from group 3 and the remaining from either group 3, 4 or 5 making the total of 11 units/subjects per student
    At form 3 and 4, students choose the subjects they feel they can performs best but with a guideline as follows: group 1 is compulsory, Must choose at least two from group 2, at least 1 from group 3 and any other from group 2,3,4 or 5 making a total of 7 subjects.
    Grading is done per subject with highest mark “scorable” being 100% and the least being 01%
    Above 80%- A
    75-80 A-
    70-74 B+
    65-69 B
    60-64 B-
    55-59 C+
    50-54 C
    45-49 C-
    40-44 D+
    35-39 D
    27-34 D-
    BELOW 27 E

I tried to develop with vb 6.0 and now trying with .net vb 10 but stuck cant rely know how to code a database(ms access ) at the point where a student progresses from one class to the next. I kept a class names say form one as a table, form 2 as a different table. Now how do I code the progress of say current form 1 at the end of the year, to a new table of form two as they progress to that class bearing in mind that a new class is also admitted in form 1

Frenzied Member

how you handle your data is your perogative.

the importand thing to remember is that when you move these students you will also want to keep the previous information.

for a human being the ability to just open a page and read the collected info is all they want.

the db-purist will want to keep data entry to a minimum and will try to create a set of tables that once configured will allow the user ( through queries ) to access the information they want

in you case a field in the database called current class would be updated to the new class identifier and all new information during this year will be related to the student and the current class to gain access to this years exams and performance indicators...

it can be daunting for the beginner to think in these terms, it often involves talking about things "arse for elbow" and always bends ones mind, but does work in the end!

do you currently hold data in a form that you use for reports and the like?

here to help

thanx