Thread: Google search box [SERIOUS]

Google search box [SERIOUS]

Did anyone notice that you cannot select charaters with mouse after typing something into Google's search box (it's going on for awhile) any longer in IE9 at least (in Opera it's fine).
    The only option is to use keyboard. Any thoughts?

Hyperactive Member

Re: Google search box [SERIOUS]

I haven't used IE for a long time, Chrome is my browser of choice, however I loaded it up and I can select characters with my mouse in Google's search box.

I'm presuming it's a problem localised to yourself?

I have the same as Rhino in IE9. Not tested yet with other versions.

It's not an isolated problem - there are lots of people reporting the same thing but solution is yet to be found. Some suggest that it could be related to Flash update, some to somethig else (like Google black bar at the top).
    The interesting part is that it only happens (at least) on Google pages. All other sites typically work.

PowerPoster

Seems ok in IE8.

After backing off IE9 and blocking its delivery via Windows Update I haven't been having any trouble with textbox/textarea fields anymore. I was seeing problems here just trying to post.

Btw, here is the effect I'm getting: I cannot select single character via mouse but I can select entire word by doing this:
    - press left button
    - try "selecting" something by moving mouse left or right (nothing is highlighted yet)
    - then release the button and word will be highlighted (selected).
    So, to a degree it works but not as expected of course.

PowerPoster

That doesn't sound like what I was seeing in IE9.

Hard to know whether it might be hyperactive Google JavaScript on the page, perhaps combined with the new JavaScript engine (Chakra) IE9 uses.

Did it say it's name was "Peggy?" Does it call you "dear" a lot? {sorry, sick joke most people won't get}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRLwKw9up3s

But it just started to happen recently (I would say within last couple of months) so it must be something they've done with their pages.
    If it matters few weeks ago I was getting all kind of different Google layouts so it looked like they were experimenting a lot.
    Also, I couldn't get rid of Google Chrome little ad at about the same time.
    It's back to basic now.

Hyperactive Member

I couldn't get rid of Google Chrome little ad
    It's clearly meant to be that you need to make use of Chrome rather than IE9!

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Does the same for me. Try first depressing CTRL key then (at least it worked for me) select a single character.

You can browse the internet with IE ? Wow, I thought it was just a tool to download Firefox when you install a fresh copy of Windows.

@niya - I use IE to surf the web because that's what my clients use - if I want to be a resource to my clients I have to use the tools they use.

It's like why I don't use mac equipment...

I do develop web apps with Firefox - because Firebug is superior IMO

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    @niya - I use IE to surf the web because that's what my clients use - if I want to be a resource to my clients I have to use the tools they use.

It's like why I don't use mac equipment...

I do develop web apps with Firefox - because Firebug is superior IMO
    Why do your clients use IE?

I personally think Web developers should either pretend Internet Explorer doesn't exist or warn IE users of any issues or warn them that the site may or may not work in IE. I'm pretty sure a majority of people don't use IE. I don't. I support standards-compliant browsers.

Let this problem we're discussing be a lesson to IE users.
    Do not read this sentence.
    You read that last one, didn't you?
    Darn. You now read the previous two.

Check out my pins on Pinterest!

When you have an IT dept supporting hundreds or even a thousand or more users (that's what a typical town/school district has for users - once you add in teacher, cops and the fire dept) - they concentrate on delivering a "typical" desktop to users - clone master's on hard drives - roaming profiles - application servers with thin clients so the user doesn't even have a harddrive...

That IT dept has to set standards and conventions and then once those are set they are like cement.

I can appreciate why they do they do this - and I can appreciate how the browser is the last thing they want to juggle. FF just installed a new version on my development laptop today - that type of fluidity doesn't cut it in the corporate world.

So as I said - if they use IE - I gotta use IE as well so I can be an expert when they have an issue. Didn't say I preferred to - said I have to...

As a web developer I use jQuery so that I do not have to fight the IE battle...

That's almost the whole point of the discussion started by the OP. Having a situation appear with Google when using IE9. It's good to be able to tell a customer on the phone that IE9 with this feature is - yadda - yadda...
    Last edited by szlamany; Feb 20th, 2012 at 06:16 AM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    When you have an IT dept supporting hundreds or even a thousand or more users (that's what a typical town/school district has for users - once you add in teacher, cops and the fire dept) - they concentrate on delivering a "typical" desktop to users - clone master's on hard drives - roaming profiles - application servers with thin clients so the user doesn't even have a harddrive...

That IT dept has to set standards and conventions and then once those are set they are like cement.

I can appreciate why they do they do this - and I can appreciate how the browser is the last thing they want to juggle. FF just installed a new version on my development laptop today - that type of fluidity doesn't cut it in the corporate world.

So as I said - if they use IE - I gotta use IE as well so I can be an expect when they have an issue. Didn't say I preferred to - said I have to...

As a web developer I use jQuery so that I do not have to fight the IE battle...

That's almost the whole point of the discussion started by the OP. Having a situation appear with Google when using IE9. It's good to be able to tell a customer on the phone that IE9 with this feature is - yadda - yadda...
    I can see that being a problem. Have you tried establishing yourself as an IE hater?

And what would that accomplish? Besides the loss of sales?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
    Let this problem we're discussing be a lesson to IE users.
    Lol......I will never learn I guess.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by namrekka View Post
    Lol......I will never learn I guess.
    Well, we have our differences. The browser you like is a browser I dislike.

Well.....I'm a simple person. It doesn't mather for me what to use.
    Its the "be a lesson to IE users" what I was laughing about. Its not a very commercial way of thinking from a point of view of a designer.