Thread: Timeout calling webservice

Question Timeout calling webservice

I have an intranet application that is calling a webservice (code below). The webservice calls a stored procedure in q sql server 2005 that again does an openquery on a db2 (AS400) machine. The stored procedure is returning a temp table.

On the call to the webservice I am getting a time out. At this point if time out the web service is still running and I can also see the query is in the program stack on the db2 machine. The query itself can take up to 20-30 minutes as it is reading 3 mill+ records. If I call the web service directly I get the result returned.

Code:
    Dim getOrderDetail As New localhost.OrderDetail
    myDataTable = getOrderDetail.GetOrderDetailRecords_DataTable(myUserId)
    Is there a timeout setting I need to look at or any other suggestion? Thank you.

King of sapila

Re: Timeout calling webservice

Hi.There is a session timeout at web.config: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8vs.80%29.aspx
    There is also a session timeout in IIS: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx
    IN IIS 7 i find it under "yoursite" - session state.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Your web request from the browser is not going to want to wait 30 minutes for a sproc to complete on the server.

Sapator - correct me if I am wrong - but 30 minutes seems beyond the scope of what a post/response is going to wait for...

imo - you are going to have to re-think the method of deliverying this content.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

King of sapila

Missed the 30 minutes part!No you are not wrong.These problems will be caused by poor design and i had a same issue on a big insurance company that i had worked with, so even big fat companies make such mistakes.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    Sapator - correct me if I am wrong - but 30 minutes seems beyond the scope of what a post/response is going to wait for...
    You can extend the time that the Web Server will wait for a response, but waiting anything longer than a couple minutes, in this day and age, would seem inappropriate.

Gary

I wonder what the OP has done with this issue.

Openquery calls to mainframe databases can be painfully slow.

I would see if I could cache the openquery results locally somehow - and then worry about "how fresh the data is"

- or even create my own agent on the mainframe to get the data in a more "quick" fashion - if that's even possible.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008