Thread: Using Forum email feature

Using Forum email feature

Why does it include your private email address when you send an email to a forum member using the VB forum email feature?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Re: Using Forum email feature

szlamany and I were experimenting with this and discovered it revealed our personal email id's to one another. The last time I emailed anybody via this forum, it was private. That is why I recommended it to szlamany rather than using PM. Now I feel foolish for suggesting he use it. The last time I emailed via the forum was January 2011. I would get a message sent to my personal email from the forum, not from a member, and I would click it to be taken to the forum to read my message there. Everyone's identity, location, etc was kept hidden. Good thing I trust szlamany, because now he knows the company where I work, thanks to my email domain being shown to him!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Wow - I haven't been trusted since I got out of prison

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Yea, I'm not sure why I said that. Considering you are in the next town over, I am feeling very vulnerable
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Oh we trust... we just also verify...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I've asked Heidi (or technical forum guru) if something changed at some point on how email messages are done. I've also pointed her to this thread - which she might, or might not read. Let's see what she tells me - when she has a chance.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Quote Originally Posted by MMock View Post
    The last time I emailed via the forum was January 2011. I would get a message sent to my personal email from the forum, not from a member, and I would click it to be taken to the forum to read my message there.
    I don't think this forum has ever had that feature.

As a note, the email option does say the following:

Note: By using this form, your email address will become available to the user who you are emailing.
    As such, it should not be a shock that your email address becomes available to the user who is receiving the email.....

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    As such, it should not be a shock that your email address becomes available to the user who is receiving the email.....
    Well, if it didn't then the email ystem would be pointless because you wouldn't be able to email the person back. In that case you would need to send them a private message on the forum.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Well, if it didn't then the email ystem would be pointless because you wouldn't be able to email the person back. In that case you would need to send them a private message on the forum.
    I guess you never tried the feature - this is what the email message looks like.

It gives a link to the VBFORUM EMAIL SENDING PAGE - so that you can use that to reply.

But it also gives your personnal email address in the message.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    As a note, the email option does say the following:

Brad!
    You are correct, but I did not read that, I only know what has happened in the past from experience, and I do believe it changed. And to penagate who said I don't think this forum has ever had that feature, I don't want to get in a "yes it did - no it didn't" argument, but I am almost certain it did as this is the only forum I actively participate in and the only one I've used to email somebody.

Here's one other odd thing - If I go to my User CP and go to Private Messages -> List Messages, I do not see the one I sent Steve yesterday. I only see the ones from 1-31-11 and older. So it still looks to me like something changed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

gep and I just emailed each other, and this is what I got in Outlook:
    >>
    Dear MMock,

You have received a new private message at VBForums from gep13. Please click here to log in and read it:
    http://www.vbforums.com/private.php

All the best,
    VBForums
    <<

That is how it has always worked for me, up until yesterday with szlamany. The message from gep was titled "New Private Message at VBForums", sent from forums@vbforums.com. I was not shown gep's personal email id.

MMock, I just sent you a test message... curious as to what comes out on your end... could it be a privacy setting/option?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Ae we confusing the PM (private message) and FORUM EMAIL's here??

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    Ae we confusing the PM (private message) and FORUM EMAIL's here??
    Ummm...possibly. Was that my error? Have I lead everyone astray?

I will check out both.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    MMock, I just sent you a test message... curious as to what comes out on your end... could it be a privacy setting/option?

-tg
    This is a message from techgnome at VBForums ( http://www.vbforums.com/index.php ). The VBForums owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email techgnome, you can use this online form:
    http://www.vbforums.com/sendmessage....member&u=30656

OR, by email:
    mailto:>>tg's email id was here<<

This is the message:

1,2,3, testing, 123... just curious what comes out on the other end of this...

-tg

Ok... now I have an option "Allow Email from other members" ... and it's turned on ... let me send another one and see what happens when I turn that option off...

-tg

edit - OK, another test was sent MMock... this time with the allow email option turned off...

Ok... now I have an option "Allow Email from other members" ... and it's turned on ... let me send another one and see what happens when I turn that option off...
    This option simply turns off the menu option for allowing people to email you.

If you don't want to share your email address, use a Private Message (PM). If you don't care about sharing your email address, you can use the email option.

In the past, we might have had the email option turned off as we prefer to keep communications on the forum.

Ah - the infamous RED HERRING!

Confusion about PM vs forum emails (which I have received from new members in the past and always PM'd in reply).

Forum email seems useless in that it exposes your real email address (which makes no sense since it is a supposed forum email system). I'm curious why it even exists - it's a forum page - and it sends an email with a link to reply via a forum page.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Yeah, it does seem kind of redundant... but it's possible to block PMs... as I have a tendency to do sometimes... but the email option doesn't seem to be affected by that... which... means that if people figure it out, I can see people trying to send me emails with their problems rather than PMs...

-tg

-tg

edit - OK, another test was sent MMock... this time with the allow email option turned off...
    Had a meeting for the past hour, so I am catching up.

Yes tg, that was different. Your email follows:
    >>
    This is a message from techgnome at VBForums ( http://www.vbforums.com/index.php ). The VBForums owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email techgnome, you can use this online form:
    http://www.vbforums.com/sendmessage....member&u=30656

OR, by email:
    mailto:tg@___________.com

This is the message:

Ok... so what do we get with this one? Same thing?

-tg
    <<

And it is from: >>forums@vbforums.com; on behalf of; techgnome @ VBForums [tg@____________.com].<< So that one is more revealing.
    Last edited by MMock; Feb 15th, 2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typo