Thread: [RESOLVED] ??? Please help: Missile Positon alongside the Turret Position in the game ???

Resolved [RESOLVED] ??? Please help: Missile Positon alongside the Turret Position in the game ???

Hello, I am writing a Tank Battle game, that requires the Missile to be positoned alongside the Turret (Cannon) of the Tank. Also I am looking to have the Missile to cut into the Shape, and then make a bomb blast, where and only where the Missile, had been blown up...

Also: The older version of the Project Files, have been removed by me the: OP. Please look further into the Thread, for the newly updated ones, that have been posted, by me the: OP...

!! Thanks in advance !!
    Last edited by ThEiMp; Jan 8th, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Re: ??? Please help: Missile Positon alongside the Turret Position in the game ???

Haven't downloaded your zip. But I think you might get more replies if you include a snapshot or two of exactly what you mean. It's hard to visualize exactly what you mean when you say "have the Missile to cut into the Shape, and then make a bomb blast, where and only where the Missile, had been blown up" and "the Missile to be positoned alongside the Turret"
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Computer Science BS Jacob Roman's Avatar

Re: ??? Please help: Missile Positon alongside the Turret Position in the game ???

Leave that to me LaVolpe. I'll take a crack at his project. As you already know, I'm the game expert here in the forums.

Before I looked into your code I noticed a number of things wrong. For a gun turret, you don't want to use 3 lines for 3 stationary angles. The best thing for this would be to have it dynamically rotate from an origin which would be the tank. Try this as a test example and use the left & right arrow keys to rotate the turret:

vb Code:
    1. Option Explicit
    3. Private Type Vertex2D
    5.     X As Single
    6.     Y As Single
    8. End Type
    10. Private Const Pi As Single = 3.141592654
    12. Private Vertex(1) As Vertex2D
    13. Private Transformed_Vertex As Vertex2D
    14. Private Tank_Position As Vertex2D
    15. Private Angle As Single
    17. Private Running As Boolean
    19. Private Function Rotate(ByRef Origin As Vertex2D, ByRef Vertex As Vertex2D, ByVal Angle As Single) As Vertex2D
    21.     Angle = Angle Mod 360 'Keeps it within 360 degrees
    23.     'Had to use -Angle so counter clockwise is positive.
    24.     Rotate.X = Origin.X + ((Vertex.X * (Cos(-Angle * (Pi / 180))) - (Vertex.Y * Sin(-Angle * (Pi / 180)))))
    25.     Rotate.Y = Origin.Y + ((Vertex.X * (Sin(-Angle * (Pi / 180))) + (Vertex.Y * Cos(-Angle * (Pi / 180)))))
    27. End Function
    29. Private Sub Form_KeyDown(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer)
    31.     If KeyCode = vbKeyLeft Then
    32.         Angle = Angle + 1
    33.     End If
    35.     If KeyCode = vbKeyRight Then
    36.         Angle = Angle - 1
    37.     End If
    39. End Sub
    41. Private Sub Form_Load()
    43.     With Me
    44.         .Show
    45.         .ScaleMode = vbPixels
    46.         .AutoRedraw = True
    47.         .BackColor = RGB(0, 0, 0)
    48.     End With
    50.     Vertex(0).X = 0: Vertex(0).Y = 0
    51.     Vertex(1).X = 0 + 50: Vertex(1).Y = 0
    53.     Tank_Position.X = Me.ScaleWidth / 2
    54.     Tank_Position.Y = Me.ScaleHeight / 2
    56.     Running = True
    57.     Do While Running = True
    58.         Me.Cls
    59.         'For turret purposes.
    60.         If Angle <= 0 Then Angle = 0
    61.         If Angle >= 180 Then Angle = 180
    62.         Transformed_Vertex = Rotate(Tank_Position, Vertex(1), Angle)
    63.         Me.Line (Tank_Position.X, Tank_Position.Y)-(Transformed_Vertex.X, Transformed_Vertex.Y), RGB(0, 255, 0)
    64.         Me.Caption = Angle
    65.         DoEvents
    66.     Loop
    68. End Sub

Another thing is that after running your program and entered the main game, the bullet just sits there and then explodes. Weird. Why not have projectile motion? It takes a good understanding of physics:

v0 * sin(theta)*t + (1/2) * -g * t ^ 2

but nothing you can't handle

Code:
            X = (Initial_Velocity.X * Cos(Pi * Angle / 180) * Projectile_Time)
            Y = (Initial_Velocity.Y * Sin(Pi * Angle / 180) * Projectile_Time + 0.5 * -Gravity * Projectile_Time ^ 2)
    Located below this post is an attachment of a sample project on projectile motion using real time physics.

As for your question on how to position the shape on the turret, you need to know the X and Y position of one of your Line tips, whether its X1, Y1 or X2, Y2. And I do suggest you use one line for a turret you can dynamically rotate.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Refer to the above post if ya missed it.

I spliced both projects together so you have a moveable gun turret and a fire button. It was fun
    Personally I'd be doing it in DirectX but for beginner purposes, this is for you. Use A / Z keys to change the angle of the turret. Arrow keys position the tank. And the fire button is the command button.
    Attached Files Attached Files

!! Thanks for the Input$ !!
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

@Jacob Roman, I really need your help, in this matter at hand...

Problem #1: How do you position the Turret, for both of the Tank Players??? (The Tank is something like a shape that I drew using the Shape's Tool in VB6...)
    Problem #2: How do you control the colour of the Turret and the Trace Path of the orderance, as well???

!! Thanks in advance !!

PS: Jacob, you are a God sent individual that is able to help me finish one of my projects, that has been bugging me for a very long time in deed!!
    Last edited by ThEiMp; Jan 6th, 2012 at 04:26 AM.

Problem #1
    I already demonstrated this in post #5 in the project using the arrow keys. Keys A & Z rotates the turret. For the tank body you'll need to do the same thing and add the same values to the body using Position.X and Position.Y over in the keydown event. I can even improve the controls for ya if you like so you don't get that noticable pause whenever you hold down the key

Problem #2
    The color of the line on the turret? You use Line1.Bordercolor = RGB(red, green, blue) only red green blue being values between 0 to 255.

Again over in Post #5 I already traced the path. If you don't wanna see the path traced change this line over in Game_Loop from If Fire = False Then Cls To just Cls. If you wanna gather data for the missle as its moving, use an array. Just don't forget to reset the values to 0 when its done.

vb Code:
    1. Private Sub Render_Projectile_Motion()
    3.     Static Missle_Data() As Vertex2D
    4.     Static I As Long
    6.     If Fire = True Then
    7.         Me.Line (Position.X, Position.Y)-(Transformed_Vertex.X, Transformed_Vertex.Y), RGB(0, 0, 255)
    8.         Projectile_Time = (Get_Elapsed_Time - Projectile_Milliseconds)
    10.         ReDim Preserve Missle_Data(I) As Vertex2D
    11.         X = (Initial_Velocity.X * Cos(Pi * Angle / 180) * Projectile_Time)
    12.         Y = (Initial_Velocity.Y * Sin(Pi * Angle / 180) * Projectile_Time + 0.5 * -Gravity * Projectile_Time ^ 2)
    14.         If Y >= 0 Then
    15.             Projectile_Height = Initial_Velocity.Y * Sin(Pi * Angle / 180) * (Projectile_Time / 2) + 0.5 * -Gravity * (Projectile_Time / 2) ^ 2
    16.         End If
    18.         If Y <= (Transformed_Vertex.Y - Position.Y) Then
    19.             Y = (Transformed_Vertex.Y - Position.Y)
    20.         End If
    22.         'Here, Y is negative because I needed +Y to be up and -Y to
    23.         'be down. By default it's the opposite.
    24.         Projectile_Screen_Position.X = Transformed_Vertex.X + X
    25.         Projectile_Screen_Position.Y = Transformed_Vertex.Y - Y
    27.         Me.PSet (Projectile_Screen_Position.X, Projectile_Screen_Position.Y), RGB(0, 255, 0)
    29.         Missle_Data(I).X = Projectile_Screen_Position.X
    30.         Missle_Data(I).Y = Projectile_Screen_Position.Y
    32.         If Projectile_Time > 0 And Y <> Original_Y And Y <= (Transformed_Vertex.Y - Position.Y) Then
    33.             Fire = False
    34.             cmdfire.Enabled = True
    35.             MsgBox "Projectile Motion      Time: " & Projectile_Time & "     Height: " & Projectile_Height, vbInformation
    36.         End If
    37.         I = I + 1
    38.     End If
    40. End Sub

Also note if you ever get tired of using crappy VB objects to make games and wanna jump into some real fun, I got a massive directX8 tutorial in my sig, as well as other game and physics examples. I'm also working on a website www.massivedirectxtutorial.com (still under construction) thats gonna be dedicated to directx tutorials for VB6, VB.Net 2008, VB.Net 2010, C# 2008, C# 2010, C++ 6.0, C++ 2008, & C++ 2010, and have tutorials on DirectX7 to DirectX11 as well as XNA tutorials.

-- So sorry, about not getting back to you in time. But then it worked, and then I was testing the project, for the whole afternoon...

Problem, at hand := I am trying to rewrite the Render Handler of the Form that you posted on my Thread. There is something very wrong with this kind of line of command. If you could look at it for me, then that would be very nice for me, in deed...
    Code:
    Public Sub Render_Turret()
        If Fire = False Then
            Transformed_Vertex = Rotate(Position, Vertex(1), Angle)
            Me.Line (frmBattle.RedTank.Left + 20, frmBattle.RedTank.Top)-(Transformed_Vertex.X, Transformed_Vertex.Y), frmBattle.Line1.BorderColor = RGB(255, 0, 0)
        End If

End Sub
    !! Thanks in advance !!

Well the Me.Line thing was just an example. If you wanna use Line objects instead use Line1 or whatever you named the Lines for turrets and replace all the positions and transformations I laid out within its X1, Y1, X2 and Y2 coordinates in your code.

Problem: I don't exactly know what you mean. I know about the Line positions. But then I have done that much with it. But as you must know that I wrote a Vector Shape ActiveX Control, using only four Line Shapes, and nothing more than that. But I require more help, in this matter at hand...

Could you upload your project with the new code?

-- Here is the newly updated Project Files, for you to have a good look at!! Could you please help me, in my problem at hand???

!! Thanks in advance !!

Im gonna need to completely dismantle your project and start from scratch cause there are too many problems. Its taking too long to debug cause of the unneeded splashscreen that takes a whole minute to go through. Also I made a number of improvements but for some unknown reason even after removing cls and the frame using a picturebox instead, it flickers and covers your command buttons with a black box. Thats even after I added autoredraw and stuff. So I'm gonna do your program from scratch and improve it more so. It's gonna take time cause I just got a new job so be patient and keep coming back to this thread to check up on it.

Thanks, for the time you're putting into my project!!

!! Thanks in advance !! (Even more so...)

-- I really would like to ask, you this...

Is there any progress that you have made with the flicking screen. I am looking at writing a DirectX Graphics Engine for it. Which right now I am sourcing code for another project that I am doing. Really not getting paid for anything that I do. And then cannot pay for anything, in return...

The Sentry Gun is an unmanned weapon capable of autonomously acquiring and firing upon enemy targets by using thermal detection.

If you want, take a look at my massive DirectX tutorial located in my sig

I'm also making it even more massive and revamped due to the fact there are problems. First off all I was using Form_Activate in them when I should have been using Form_Load. I also shouldn't have been using End, and I should have had DoEvents in the end of the loops and not the beginning. The massive directx tutorial I am making will be in VB6, VB.Net 2008, VB.Net 2010, C++ 6.0, C++ 2008, C++ 2010, C# 2008, and C# 2010 in DirectX 7 - DirectX11, whichever languages support the DX versions. I am also including XNA. Each language I plan on having over 200 tutorials each per DX version in 2D, 3D, and DirectDraw. It will cover every aspect of DirectX and be the greatest DX tutorial the net has to offer and be simlified in one code window rather than multiple modules, and wont have too much overhead like the DX SDK's microsoft had.

As for your game, I havent been working on it that much due to the fact I got a new job now but I'll try to work on it little by little.

-- Thank-you: Jacob Roman, for all of the help you are giving me on the matter at hand!!

This post is for: @Jacob Roman, only...

In your Source Code, that you had posted to me, just recently. You didn't comment, what was the position of the Turret for each of the Tanks. Then when I find that I am then able to be able to set the .Left and the .Top for each of the Turrets, respectively to, which colour they are...

I am also working on sourcing code for tunnelling and also using the Line Shape Tool, to be using nodes to bend into place some sort of peaks, hills and also valleys that only extend on the single screen, or even the single Form, at that...

Look over at Main() in frmBattle

vb Code:
    1. Player(1).Position.X = RedTank.Left + RedTank.Width
    2. Player(1).Position.Y = RedTank.Top

Transform_Turret() shows it as well:

vb Code:
    1. Public Sub Transform_Turret()
    2.     If Fire = False Then
    3.         Player(1).Transformed_Vertex = Rotate(Player(1).Position, Player(1).Vertex(1), Player(1).Projectile.Angle)
    4.         Redturret.X1 = Player(1).Position.X
    5.         Redturret.Y1 = Player(1).Position.Y
    6.         Redturret.X2 = Player(1).Transformed_Vertex.X
    7.         Redturret.Y2 = Player(1).Transformed_Vertex.Y
    8.     End If

Thanks for the Input$

-- I have made some changes to the Project Files, can you please have a good look at the Project. I've also added in CommandButton support to changing the Angle and also the Power. Can we get the Power variable to only be the one TextBox, that would seem alot easier to program when using velocity and angle variables. Don't you think???

Problem #1: There is still that over lay of black bold lines over the Screen...
    Problem #2: Also there is something very wrong when you call the process of Player(1). I'm not sure and nor is the machine, sure on which control you are calling...

!! Here is my Project Files, so far !!

PS: Could you (Jacob), look over the Project, from the Files, that I am writing. If they are any good, then please comment. Also not a lot of work has gone into it, right about now. Just working on the DirectX process, that I am working to write into it. However that could be able to cure the block blotch on the screen???

!! Thanks in advance !!

I have been able to research and produce a DirectX Support Engine. It is in no reason to be a DirectX Engine, itself. However it just accompanies the DirectX as a Support program, and then there isn't any infringement of copyright, because I checked that this was totally legal and then I set to work on the project...

Here is the Project Files, if you want them. They might be able to get rid of the black blotch on the screen. Because we are using DirectX to support the Form's graphically instead of the normal screen graphics...

Have you had a look at the DirectX Support Console, that I wrote in the previous post, in this Thread???

I been pretty busy at my new job recently and spending time with my gf but I'll try to find time to

-- So sorry, about the upset that this Project of mine is causing you...

Wouldn't it work better to have a Tank as a UserControl, instead of having all of the Source Code being laid down beside the Game Motor, etc. I think that we could do that, because then we just have to setup properties of the velocity, angle, tank colour, etc then that would be better, don't you think??? I have been jotting down what we need, as UserControl properties, then that was what I was doing all of this time and working on the many other Projects, that I have. Also doing things with the family, etc. As anyone would do, in a week's normal days...

It wouldnt be a better idea to treat the tank as a usercontrol cause games arent necessarely coded like that. Since its a sprite, use a user defined type instead. Its how all games are coded

Really!!

I have been working on a Capcom Megaman game, that has all enemies and the player, as UserControls. That was the only way that I could be able to think about working out the whole thing. But you have opened up my eyes, and then that means alot, to me...

!! Thanks for the Input$ !!

Here is the Project so far. I am working on the Project, trying to get the Form to stop overlaying the black line. Still no headway in this matter at hand. I checked with the Source Code and the Drivers of the PCI Express Card, that I have. And they seem to work okay, when working in 2D and also work really well when insided 3D, and then so on. However I still think that they cannot no more display a signal that is dumber than 50hz for the monitor, don't you agree??? Becuase there was in actual fact that there was problems with Prince of Persia working on high rated video cards, of that age gone far behind. But then there was also trouble trying to microswitch the video card, in those days to the higher rate. Because of the fact that they were inferiour to the designs of the new age of computing. What I am trying to say is that maybe the process, that we are using to display the graphics on the screen. Is somewhat uisng the older VB3 for Windows v3.11, type of displaying graphics on the screen. That had many flickers when working with Bitmaps, that were 32-Bit (Win32 Session)...

Lost the Project, going to the backup. But most of the changes aren't there, from what I have made so far. Going to strip it down and then go and remember the Source Code and then work from there. Could you also send me a copy of the Project, that you have so far???

!! Thanks in advance !!

Also I have been able to make some kind of adjustments to the Source Code, that I had found on my Backup Drive. Then instead of rotating a Line Control. I guess that I am going to draw about the Line as a Bitmap, and then be able to rotate it inside PhotoShop. Followed by mapping the Missile to be .Left and then .Top properties, in the Source Code. It seems a bit messy, but in deed it will be able to pay off, in the right way. I guess???