Thread: [RESOLVED] How to totally end your Program from memory processes???

Resolved [RESOLVED] How to totally end your Program from memory processes???

I'm writing an application, that requires to totally be removed from the following sections. They are: memory, processes, windows and then so forth. However I have everything correct with the Source Code, but I cannot exit the application from the Task Manager's Processes. How can I do this??? Also I am using a System Tray Icon, and a Context Menu, at that work a single application with multipul Forms...

Your help, in this matter will be greatly appriciated, in deed!!
    !! Thanks in advance !!
    Last edited by ThEiMp; Feb 13th, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

PowerPoster

Re: How to totally end your Program from memory processes???

No idea what you are asking for.

Is this just the "my program is a dog's breakfast of randomly loaded Forms and it won't end" issue?

I cannot end my application, normally using the Unload FormName type of commands. Also I have tried to unload all of the Forms ever loaded into memory, that wouldn't even work, right, as well. Also I have tried the Set FormName = Nothing, that did work for a little bit, and then stopped working all together...
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

PowerPoster

One common cause for this is a Form that gets hidden but left loaded. Another is a circular object refrence. See: Dealing with Circular References.

Well using my Source Code: I clear all of the loaded Forms, that were once used by the Project. For instance, when Form1 and Form4 are loaded. However not Form2 and Form3. But then Form1 and then Form4, will then be unloaded, using a special type of process, in the Form_Unload of the Main Form, which in my case, is called: frmMain1, and then that means that in this case it will then be named Form1...

Are you using Timers on any of your Forms? If so, focus on that Forms, ensure the Timer_Timer event won't fire after the Unload Me line has been called. This can be done using a Boolean variable declared on top of your Form.

Meaning that I must use a For ... Next, loop to gather the information required on each of the Timer controls. In which, I use the Timer controls for the .ZOrder of each of the Child Forms and other Forms that are attached to the Master Form, which also in actual fact doesn't have a Timer inorder to check for the .ZOrder of itself, ever...

VB Forums Online Freedom Mode: Operational

also see this thread for some more ideas: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=667747
    Last edited by Witis; Feb 13th, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
    All men have an inherent right to life, the right to self determination including freedom from forced or compulsory labour, a right to hold opinions and the freedom of expression, and the right to a fair trial and freedom from torture. Be aware that these rights are universal and inalienable (cannot be given, taken or otherwise transferred or removed) although you do risk losing the aforementioned rights should you fail to uphold them e.g Charles Taylor; United Nations sources: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/, http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Professional...ages/CCPR.aspx. Also Charles I was beheaded on the 30th of January of 1649 for trying to replace parliamentary democracy with an absolute monarchy, the same should happen to Dr Phil and Stephen Fry; source: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ute-Monarchism.

The plural of sun is stars you Catholic turkeys.

!! Thanks for the Input$ !!

I'm still confused on the topic, that I have chosen to talk about. The whole idea of working from the Form level, still doesn't get or shutdown my Project, really. Instead there are still rememants of processes, still working on in the background. And then this only happens to the one App, and that is my SystemTray, ContextMenu and TitleBar Console all in one app, rather more like...

I am still very confused on this subject, can someone please help me???

!! Thanks in advance !!

PowerPoster

To say you have everything correct with the source code but are still having a problem is a bit odd. Clearly there is a problem with the source code. Some object is being loaded, created that is not being properly closed.

Without knowing exactly what you are doing no way to say where exactly the problem is but it is likely related to a form or external object you have loaded.

Well when the Master Form is Unloaded, there is a battle inside the SystemTray to unload it, from there and memory processes. I mean that all of the SystemTray Icons flicker and move around. Then it is up to the TaskManager to remove it from the processes. That is the only way that I can remove it from memory, the hard way, in fact of the matter...

Problem: It works alright when the Console App, has not logged into anything or even being used for anything. Eg: When you execute it and then just exit out of it right away. However when you use it then it wouldn't let you remove it from memory. This means that there is something that is still running. I have been able to totally unload all of the Forms, and then there aren't any Control Arrays, therefore that wouldn't count for anything in this application of mine. However there aren't many If statements. Please note, that they have all been written using the ElseIf for multipul types of conditions in the structure of the code block. Followed by there aren't any For ... Next loops, at all in the whole application of mine. Therefore I am asking someone's help in this matter. Also there is a Winsock Control, that I always close off, using the .Close property in the code, in the end of the Form
    _Unload Handler, which is found inside the Master Form's Unload Handler...

This is the Master Form's Unload Handler:
    Code:
    Public Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)
    On Error Resume Next

Cancel = 1

Dim objForm As Form
    Dim fsObject As FileSystemObject
    Set fsObject = New FileSystemObject

fsObject.DeleteFolder ("c:\temp\project1")
    Kill ("c:\temp\tempdata1.dat")

Set fsObject = Nothing

Call Shell_NotifyIcon(DeleteIcon, Data)

frmMain.Winsock1_Client.Close

For Each objForm In Forms
        If objForm.hWnd <> Me.hWnd Then
            Unload objForm
            Set objForm = Nothing
        End If
    Next objForm

Unload Me
    End

End Sub
    Last edited by ThEiMp; Feb 21st, 2012 at 11:30 PM.

PowerPoster

Are there any other objects you have loaded. DLL files and such?

Edit: The first thing I would do is get rid of the On Error Resume Next.

Well there aren't any DLLs that I have loaded in the app, at this point in time. Also there are many errors, that I wish to hide in the app. For instance if the Project1 folder, doesn't exist in the c:\temp folder, then that would be a very big problem inside the program. I have dealt with it before, and it's messy in this project of mine. Any takes on what I can have instead of that, that would take up less space or time to code??? Then I would like to hear it!!

Problem: The App on the frmMain.Form_Unload() handler, after there has been a login to the Console, then there isn't any shutdown. I have been able to split the several delete object processes, to the Logout Process on the Login Form, which in this case is called: frmLog. Then when the Form_Unload(), has been called nothing happens. I have also called the Form_Unload, by using the command code, which is: Unload frmMain. If this is then not correct, then could you please tell me???

!! Thanks in advance !!

Ps: Here is my Project Files, so that you can have a good look at and then tell me where I am going wrong, with. So then could you please help me, that would be greatly appriciated, in deed!!
    Last edited by ThEiMp; Feb 22nd, 2012 at 12:15 AM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    Well there aren't any DLLs that I have loaded in the app, at this point in time. Also there are many errors, that I wish to hide in the app. For instance if the Project1 folder, doesn't exist in the c:\temp folder, then that would be a very big problem inside the program. I have dealt with it before, and it's messy in this project of mine. Any takes on what I can have instead of that, that would take up less space or time to code??? Then I would like to hear it!!
    Many errors yet earlier you said everything was correct with your source code. Hard for me to wrap my head around that. Ignoring errors is not good code. And code that has many errors is far from correct.

As for less space or time to code, the On Error resume next is only 1 line so no but if you handle errors correctly that little extra time you spend on the code for handling errors may save you lots of time debugging.

If the folder not existing causes you a big problem why do you not check to see if it exists and why delete it?

As to your actual issue at hand have you tried using a tool that shows you detailed information on all the processes and child windows to get a clue as to which object in your program is staying in memory?

The project you attached only contains 1 Form (FrmMain), could you attach the other Forms also?
    I still think the problem must the your Timer, you call IsNetConnectionAlive inside the Timer event and that Function references your FrmMain (loading it again each time you want to Unload it), but it would be better having all the Forms to properly test Unloading.

Well this Project, is top secret and that means that I cannot divoluge anything to just about anyone, until it's time to package it really. But then I will work with that Timer event, in which you have posted in your last post...

Problem: I worked out the Source Code to properly disable the Timer, which was easy. It was: Timer1.Enabled = False, but then there is still something then calling the Timer into activaction and then that means that it starts up again, and then therefore it is totally useless to that fact of the matter...

Comment the line inside event Timer1_Timer then try unloading.

Actually: I just found out that it is trying to restart the app/form just by calling the Handler: frmMain.Form_Load(). This is serious stuff, here folks!!

And to top it off, I haven't instructured it to do so, at that!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    Actually: I just found out that it is trying to restart the app/form just by calling the Handler: frmMain.Form_Load(). This is serious stuff, here folks!!
    Not so serious, actually that's exactly what we're after, the line that's making your Form load again when it should unload. So what's the exact line that triggers the call to Form_Load? do you know how to find this line? Put a marker at the end of Form_Load event then debug with F8 until it gets out from there.

This is what I was able to come up with, here it is below in the Code Section of the Post. Also I have been able to remove the Form_Unload() handler, cause it does work, at all. And then I have been able to add it to the MenuTab, that exists inside the ContextMenu on the SystemTray Icon...

Now I am able to make this Thread resolved. And that the bad thing is that I had been working around the problem, making like all things were okay!! But they weren't. However now things are, okay!!
    Code:
    Public Sub ShutDown_Popup_Click()
    Call Shell_NotifyIcon(DeleteIcon, Data)

Unload frmAbout
    Unload frmAdmin
    Unload frmBar
    Unload frmFirst
    Unload frmID
    Unload frmLog
    Unload frmSearch
    Unload frmSettings
    Unload frmSplash
    Unload frmMain

End

End Sub

Re: [RESOLVED] How to totally end your Program from memory processes???

Wait, what was the problem?
    Did you try commenting the line in your Timer1_Timer event? what happened?
    did you find what line was calling Form_Load?

Also, never use End, remove that from your code. I assume you already know why, it's been said thousands of times here in the Forums.

I suppose it was an external factor that was calling Form_Load(), but then that is just speculation. Cause it isn't happening again, or even right now. Also I tried to work it out for myself, and then found what was happening. However not about the calling of the Form_Load() handler, to that part of my problem. Also I will be able to remove the End from my ShutDown process for my App to work better. I have only understood that it is only for ending a function, type, with code block, if statement code block, sub or even a module and then etc...

It's not related to End Sub, End With, End Function or End whatever. End (when it's alone) just kills your application, it's just closed whitout even letting it remove objects from memory.

Unload [Formname] won't execute just when VB reaches that line, the real Unload is executed later when the OS determines it's the right moment to do it, so, what i'm trying to say is: all those Unload <Form name> will be stacking waiting to be taken by the OS and before they get to that point you use END killing your App. That's the real problem with END, it just kills your App before things properly unload. Just as a comparation it's like umpluging your computer from the wall while it's running, without even running a "Turn Off" from Windows.

!! Thanks for the Input$ !!