Thread: Need a program

Lively Member

Need a program

I'm new to Vs8 and need a program.

I designed program called 'lock out' years ago in VB6 to keep my oldest son of the PC until a certain time in the afternoon.

I need a similar program to get my second son off the PC at 10 or 11 pm and stay off til morning.

Needs to interrupt anything at a set time and stay on top with the task menu disabled.

Has anybody made or seen something like this?

learning VS8

Re: Need a program

You can do this with a bit of work. What I would do: Use a form and set it's border style to none, and maximize it. I would block the Alt, Control, Delete, Tab, space, windows button and F4 keys using a keyboard hook and I would have some system of unlocking it, like inputting a password. This can be relatively simple unless your sun is a hardcore hacker. You would put your program in the computer's startup and it would sit in the background waiting and by some means prevent it from being closed. (maybe by running it under an admistrators credentials). You could use a timer to check every minute what the time is, and if it past bedtime you can have it lock up, and similarly have it unlock in the morning.

Note: You posted in the codebank. The codebank is for posting working code and not asking questions, I'll alert a mod to move it to Vb.net

Useful CodeBank Entries of mine
    Expand Function
    Code Compiler
    Sudoku Solver
    HotKeyHandler Class

Read this to get Effective help on VBForums
    Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF

Lively Member

Oh I did post in codebank.

I thought I moved to the other threads.
    I know the idea how to but just starting VS8 I don't know how to do all that.
    I did make similar program in VB6 years ago and that was fairly easy then.

I know little Vs8

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Thread moved

Break it up into smaller pieces, do a bit of research on keyboard and mouse hooks in vb.net. You will find examples of how to set it up, then you should experiment with a timer checking the date and time. No one is going to just code everything for you.

Expand Function
    Code Compiler
    Sudoku Solver
    HotKeyHandler Class

Frenzied Member

take the mains lead out and don't let them have it till later (lol)

here to be funny

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by incidentals View Post
    take the mains lead out and don't let them have it till later (lol)

here to be funny
    yeah I thought about it.
    lol

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlindSniper View Post
    Break it up into smaller pieces, do a bit of research on keyboard and mouse hooks in vb.net. You will find examples of how to set it up, then you should experiment with a timer checking the date and time. No one is going to just code everything for you.
    that is why I asked the question.
    "Has anybody made or seen something like this?'

I need it faster than I have time to learn to program in VS8

Frenzied Member

what you need is a screen saver type thing with a good password that is instantly on when you start the machine

you also need to disable access to most of your system while the screen saver is on and another password process that re-enables the normal system function

none of that sounds too hard...

it is a new "named" exe in the c:zwindows directory that sets and unsets some registry entries and a program that will run within a preset time period, that can only be stopped by putting in the correct password or words ( time dependant - makes it harder to crack )

you could of course put this whole process into a pre-windows start process and prevent windows starting at all untill the appropriate password is given ( time dependant of course )

here to think with you

just remembered I have a couple of parental keys left from my SHOP ( decided to work from home again ) they are usb and let you set time of use and length of use and some other stuff - so that a child can only get access to the system when the parent wants! i think they are £10 or £15 pounds each - cant quite remember ( all brand new of course )

you could always make something similar using a standard usb memory stick and a little inventive "dependancy" programming!

still thinking...
    Last edited by incidentals; Feb 14th, 2012 at 07:07 AM.

Frenzied Member

nice description of taskmanager access change
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ermission.html

but the boys might learn how to change this!

still thinking ...

Lively Member

Will try to look into these things.
    time is short these days

I appreciate your help

Quote Originally Posted by Jabber View Post
    I need it faster than I have time to learn to program in VS8
    If you have that attitude then this is completely the wrong website for you. If you are not willing to learn then you must be willing to pay(don't get the idea that I am asking for money, I'm not). Or if there is a very generous person out there willing to sacrifice his time for your project.

If you are asking if anyone has made parental control software, then the answer is yes, and I'm sure if you do a bit of research you will find free software that can do exactly what you want and probably better than a home made solution.

Expand Function
    Code Compiler
    Sudoku Solver
    HotKeyHandler Class

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlindSniper View Post
    If you have that attitude then this is completely the wrong website for you. If you are not willing to learn then you must be willing to pay(don't get the idea that I am asking for money, I'm not). Or if there is a very generous person out there willing to sacrifice his time for your project.

If you are asking if anyone has made parental control software, then the answer is yes, and I'm sure if you do a bit of research you will find free software that can do exactly what you want and probably better than a home made solution.
    I think you have the wrong attitude for helping people and possible a problem with reading comprehension and maybe this website is wrong for you. You have the right not to respond to me again and I would appreciate that.