Thread: Fieldset legend displays wrong in different browsers

Hyperactive Member

Fieldset legend displays wrong in different browsers

Hi all,

For my login page, I use the built in stuff in vwd. However I´m trying to change the background color of the login fieldset. Simple, right?

Well IE doesn´t work, no surprise, filling the whole box with the color and then drawing the top border a bit down. I solved this by positioníng the legend absolute at -.8em. So far so good. It works with IE.

In stead, FF is bungling. Now the border is visible in the legend, allthough not on top of the text. Still, it almost looks as a strikethrough font.

Do you have any suggestions? I just want a fieldset with a legend and a background color that stays within the border. And that works with all browsers.

Thanks.
    Fuga.
    Visual Studio 2010 xpress, Visual Studio 2008 pro, SQL Server, SQL Server management studio 2008 r2, MSAccess

Re: Fieldset legend displays wrong in different browsers

Hello,

You shouldn't have to absolutely position anything on your page, so if I were you, I would backtrack that change, and try to figure out what is at the root of the problem.

Are you familiar with the FireFox addin called FireBug? It can be a lifesaver when trying to figure out what is going on in your page.

Gary

Hyperactive Member

Hi,

Yes I know about firebug, thanks to you actually if I remember right.

The thing is I thought this was a common issue, since I found a solution here after googling it.

I normally never use absolute positioning since I don´t understand it.

When I use fieldset and legend the way you´re supposed to, it works in FF but not in IE.

Thanks
    Fuga.
    Visual Studio 2010 xpress, Visual Studio 2008 pro, SQL Server, SQL Server management studio 2008 r2, MSAccess

King of sapila

You are trying something like this right?http://www.w3schools.com/html5/tryit...html5_fieldset.

What i have done and works in any browser is to have an individual <span> just after i create a <div> with a border. I then use
    display:inline-block; with position:relative; after that you can move-position it wherever you like.I do that because i don't want the legend on specific position.It's a little difficult to grasp but works.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Interesting.

I can't say that I was aware of this issue.

Gary