Thread: How do I read this IFRAME's hidden input value

How do I read this IFRAME's hidden input value

I'm using jQuery to build an IFRAME and pass some hidden input values to a Download.aspx page - jQuery code looks like this

Code:
    $('<form action="'+ url +'" method="'+ (method||'post') + '" target="iframeX">'+inputs+'</form>')
              .appendTo('body').submit().remove();
    The inputs variable looks like this

<input type="hidden" name="filename" value="mit-license.txt" />

And the top of the Download.aspx code behind looks like this

Code:
        Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
            Dim ctx As HttpContext = HttpContext.Current
            Dim response As HttpResponse = ctx.Response
            Dim sFile As String = "mit-license.txt" ' Request.QueryString("filename").ToString

' Buffer to read 10K bytes in chunk:
            Dim buffer(10000) As Byte

' Length of the file:
            Dim length As Integer

' Total bytes to read:
            Dim dataToRead As Long

' Identify the file to download including its path.
            Dim filepath As String = "D:\ACS Desktop\AWC\" + sFile
    I could not find the INPUT value - where does it pass in? I checked the "sender" and the ctx objects and could not find it...

I hardwired the mit-license.txt filename to prove that the download works...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Re: How do I read this IFRAME's hidden input value

Hello,

In your download page, you should be able to use the "Form" collection to get the value you want. See the documentation here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...uest.form.aspx

Hope that helps!

Gary

Thank you!

Code:
    ?Request.Form(0)
    "mit-license.txt"
    Is that value as easy for a user to see as a QUERY string in an address bar? Or is it reasonable "secure" by the fact that it's buried down a bit. It's obviously in the POST.

Also - I don't see the POST in FIREBUG like other ones - actually I see this 404 error - I believe it's intentional

Code:
    if(url && data){ 
        // remove old iframe if has 
        if($("#iframeX")) $("#iframeX").remove(); 
        // creater new iframe 
        iframeX= $('<iframe src="[removed]false;" name="iframeX" id="iframeX"></iframe>').appendTo('body').hide(); 
        if($.browser.msie){ 
            downloadInterval = setInterval(function(){ 
                // if loading then readyState is “loading” else readyState is “interactive” 
                if(iframeX&& iframeX[0].readyState !=="loading"){ 
                    callback(); 
                    clearInterval(downloadInterval);
                }
            }, 23); 
        } else { 
            iframeX.load(function(){ 
                callback(); 
            });
        }
    Because of the src="[removed]false. What would be the purpose of that? Are my users going to see ERROR messages in the browser task bar??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Hello,

Using form variables and posting them to the page is definitely far more secure than doing it over the QueryString, and far harder to intercept.

If am confused by this:

Code:
    iframe src="[removed]false;"
    Is this code that you have created, or something that was generated? If the former, what exactly are you trying to do here?

Gary

It's supposed to do an AJAX-like download without refreshing the page itself

The whole function looks like this - I'm just trying to figure out how to get it working - I did not write it.

Code:
    $.download = function(url, data, method, callback){ 
        var inputs = ''; 
        var iframeX; 
        var downloadInterval; 
        if(url && data){ 
            // remove old iframe if has 
            if($("#iframeX")) $("#iframeX").remove(); 
            // creater new iframe 
            iframeX= $('<iframe src="[removed]false;" name="iframeX" id="iframeX"></iframe>').appendTo('body').hide(); 
            if($.browser.msie){ 
                downloadInterval = setInterval(function(){ 
                    // if loading then readyState is “loading” else readyState is “interactive” 
                    if(iframeX&& iframeX[0].readyState !=="loading"){ 
                        callback(); 
                        clearInterval(downloadInterval);
                    }
                }, 23); 
            } else { 
                iframeX.load(function(){ 
                    callback(); 
                });
            }
            //split params into form inputs
            var inputs = '';
            jQuery.each(data.split('&'), function() {
                var pair = this.split('=');
                inputs += '<input type="hidden" name="' + pair[0] + '" value="' + pair[1] + '" />';
            });
            //create form to send request 
            $('<form action="'+ url +'" method="'+ (method||'post') + '" target="iframeX">'+inputs+'</form>').appendTo('body').submit().remove();
        };
    };
    From this blog

http://filamentgroup.com/lab/jquery_...file_downloads

About halfway down you will this "version" of the function and see comments about callbacks and what not - I have not even gotten close to figuring out what they are talking about in that regard.

But ultimately - this is working - I do get a file dialog popup for saving/opening the document without losing the page I am on.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Why is it doing a GET and a POST? Is the GET required by the fact that the IFRAME is doing a SUBMIT??

And why do I not see this in the CONSOLE tab - but only in the NET tab of FIREBUG?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008