Thread: Statement seems to be ignored unless something exec before it.

Statement seems to be ignored unless something exec before it.

Hi,
    Got 3 cascading dropdowns (Clients -> Departments -> Teams) and loading their data using jquery ajax calls. (there are a lot to the rest of the form though, though not related to this problem )

Since I am clearing dropdowns and hiding elements all over, I wanted to created a function that can be called any time that will do that in one place). however I soon got stuck.

The following code works perfectly, until I one uncomment the alert. From then, the next line seems to just get ignored.

Code:
    function SetControlsVisibility() {
        var clientId = $("select#ClientId > option:selected").attr("value");
        if (clientId == '' || clientId == undefined) {
            alert("abc");
            $('#DepartmentId').empty().prev().text("");   // ain't do it if no alert....
    got a strong feeling of devaju here, but just cannot remember where I ran into this issue before though.

Re: Statement seems to be ignored unless something exec before it.

I've also experienced issues like this - not sure how I cleared it up.

Do you have some kind of missing ; somewhere? I save backup copies of my JS code so I can do a quick WINDIF when something like this happens.

How about changing your code to this:

Code:
            var wesDept = $('#DepartmentId');
            wesDept.empty().prev().text("");   // ain't do it if no alert....
    Does that run?

Can you break/step at that spot with FIREBUG??

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Hi,
    Nope, that seems not to work.

Unfortunately (NOTE: I quit from this and just working out my notice) the environment I work in, you log into a remote machine, without internet, with vs installed on it. so cannot install firefox, let alone firebug. Have this been on my own machine i probably would sort it out in a few. But crippled like this.

Frenzied Member

This is needlessly convoluted:
    Code:
    var clientId = $("select#ClientId > option:selected").attr("value");
    //equivalent to:
    var clientId = $("#ClientId").val();
    Can't really tell what the problem is; was unable to reproduce it with an assumptive setup. It might help if you can provide more context (the markup and any other related scripting).

Quick note on what SambaNeko posted

Using a SELECTOR of an HTML ID is one of the fastest selectors - jQuery is optimized to locate that DOM element - always DESCEND from an #ID

http://www.artzstudio.com/2009/04/jq...ormance-rules/

And note that my wesDept - although not meaningful in this context - is really important to use. Always cache the selection if it's going to be used repeatedly. To me wes stands for "wrapped element set".

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Thanks guys. Will try again tomorrow, strip things down and post some more I cannot solve it.
    Thanks a lot.

Did you get a resolution to this??

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008