Thread: which one is better for php?

Fanatic Member

which one is better for php?

Hi, I'm going to start php with Apache, so should i use WAMP or install every item separately? which idea is better?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Re: which one is better for php?

Install them separately. Follow my tutorials and you (probably) won't go wrong.

Installing PHP 5.3 and Apache HTTP Server on Windows 7
    Installing MySQL Server 5.5 on Windows 7

Hyperactive Member

Penagate how did you overcome the php issue Apache seemed to have on Vista and above? - the one where things fell apart cos Apache didn't play nice from memory

ADQUSIT we install wamp on all our development machines as it's pretty easy to setup and maintain, no doubt we are carrying some overhead somewhere but it all seems to work out of the box.
    http://www.scaryminds.com - Horror's last colonial outpost.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiDexter View Post
    Penagate how did you overcome the php issue Apache seemed to have on Vista and above? - the one where things fell apart cos Apache didn't play nice from memory
    I use the VC9 builds from Apache Lounge because they work with the VC9 builds of PHP and so life is better in general, although I forget the specific issues that this solves.

Fanatic Member

@ KiwiDexter

I have used the WAMP some 3 YEARS ago, and our teacher told us that time that in WAMP, things are all configured, just need to be used while in separate separate way, you'll have to configure, apache, php and windows 7 by yourself manually. So we used then WAMP.

@ Penagate

Please tell me that what type of problem, is discussed by Dexter, about vista and above?

I originally wrote those tutorials because you asked me to about 8 months ago. Did you have some trouble installing the software then?

Fanatic Member

Penagate, i do remember that i told you that time and you did the same. Now i am thinking one thing that i have worked previously in WAMP, so will these separate entities will work the same as WAMP does?

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by penagate View Post
    I use the VC9 builds from Apache Lounge because they work with the VC9 builds of PHP and so life is better in general, although I forget the specific issues that this solves.
    Cheers penagate That resolves a number of things for me

@ADQUSIT, we still find we need to modify wamp installs, web directory locations, various other tweaking depending on what products we are running on the individual server. From memory made the same mods when we separately installed the products on XP or prior.

Fanatic Member

So Kiwi, do you also recommend now to use php apache and my sql separate separate?

Fanatic Member

@ Penagate
    I'm gonna install all these (php, apache, my sql) things on my laptop, having windows Vista, will it work properly there on Vista or some changes need to make?

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by ADQUSIT View Post
    So Kiwi, do you also recommend now to use php apache and my sql separate separate?
    Depends on your knowledge. We still use wamp, as it's quick and simple, but only went in that direction when php wouldn't fire on Vista. Clearly php can work on Vista as wamp had no issues.

From a purist perspective probably better to labour through the individual installs, but we aren't that concerned.

Fanatic Member

@ Kiwi

Depends on your knowledge. We still use wamp, as it's quick and simple, but only went in that direction when php wouldn't fire on Vista. Clearly php can work on Vista as wamp had no issues.

and

You said in your POst # 8 that:

we still find we need to modify wamp installs, web directory locations, various other tweaking depending on what products we are running on the individual server. From memory made the same mods when we separately installed the products on XP or prior
    Why you need to modify these things?

Fanatic Member

Well, i finally used WAMP, but having problem now, which are unsolved yet.