Thread: VBA Excel Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error

VBA Excel Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error

Hi guys,

I've tried a simple code like:
    Worksheets("01").Cells(8, 56).Interior.ColorIndex = 3

but I got the following error message:
    "Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error"

I guess I need to set a specific library reference to get it working, but if it is the reason, I don't know which one. But maybe there is another reason, it is only a guess.

This code is in a worksheet module.

Does anyone have any idea about how to get it working?

Thanks

Re: VBA Excel Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error

Can you specify which references you have enabled at the moment?

Re: VBA Excel Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error

Make sure that the Microsoft Excel 12.0/14 object library is checked.

Hi dovbah,

Thanks for replying.

Currently I have enabled the following references:

Visual Basic For Application
    Microsoft Excel 12.0 Object Library
    OLE Automation
    Microsoft Office 12.0 Object Library
    Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library
    Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library
    Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Recordset 2.8 Library

Thanks

One more information:

For the sample below, the first line works and shows:
    The Current Color is 20

but the second line raises the mentioned error, what means that I can read this cell property but for some reason I can not set a new value, as if this property was read only.

MsgBox "The Current Color is " & ActiveSheet.Cells(8, 56).Interior.ColorIndex

ActiveSheet.Cells(8, 56).Interior.ColorIndex = 3

Thanks

The differnce between your codes is using "ActiveSheet." (working) and "Worksheets("01")." (not working). Are you sure a Worksheet named "01" does exist?
    You're welcome to rate this post!
    If your problem is solved, please use the Mark thread as resolved button

Wait, I'm too old to hurry!

There is nothing wrong with your code and you have enabled all the proper references. This leads me to believe that the cell is Locked and the sheet is protected.

Unprotect the sheet and test the code.

You can still have a locked cell and make this work by enabling "format cell" option when you protect the sheet.

Hopefully this fixes your help

Bah, Dov
    Application Developer
    OCTA

Hyperactive Member

Hello,

I'm siding with Opus in the error being caused by the worksheet "01" not being located inside the workbook object.

Kind regards

Steve

PowerPoster

I'm siding with Opus in the error being caused by the worksheet "01" not being located inside the workbook object.
    different error
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by opus View Post
    The differnce between your codes is using "ActiveSheet." (working) and "Worksheets("01")." (not working). Are you sure a Worksheet named "01" does exist?
    He does change the code to ActiveSheet when he posted the code again. He still gets the same error.

The fact that he is able to read and not write to the cell makes it look like the cell is read only.