Thread: creating a virtual pc using vb6???

Question creating a virtual pc using vb6???

yep just a simple question

Is it possible to create a virtual machine such as Microsoft virtual pc 2007 ?

if so is this incredibly difficult and should therefore be left to the professionals or is it a breeze?
    A subtle thought that is in error may yet give rise to fruitful inquiry that can establish truths of great value. - Isaac Asimov

Frenzied Member

Re: creating a virtual pc using vb6???

I like a child with higher vision.

But they need to grow up to reach the lowest branch.

virtual machines are very complicated, you need to model the physical as well as computational when you write such things - you would need to be able to interpret anything from the bat files to the dlls.

here to guide

don't get me wrong I am not banging rocks together here (always wanted to use that expression lol) I do know alot about how the old PC operates I have some qualifications to show it (don't mean to sound a ass) =]

Its just I have been working with virtualization allot at the moment and I also know a "good" amount about vb6 coding so I wondered if I could put the two together so I could fully understand how virtualization works.

I am not taking this to the writing level, no were near ready =[ So what are the basics that I need to help me understand?
    A subtle thought that is in error may yet give rise to fruitful inquiry that can establish truths of great value. - Isaac Asimov

Frenzied Member

I have a number of hons degrees in the subject and 30 years experience, I love to bang rocks together, escpecially when it compes to computing!

for a first experiment - i would simply look at how hard it is to write a simple dosbox in vb

go and get the dos manual or just type help or commands or what ever gets your version of dos to list all commands and then interegate them 1 at a time.

now write a lexicon, a tokeniser and a parser that can open a batfile and know what to do even if it can't do anything.

once you have mastered that then make the commands function.

get a bat that says dir > dir.txt do exactly that

then tackle all the rest

at some point bring on your code and we can help you improve it!

here to point to the horizon, be it ever so far away, each step, each day, it moves away, until one day you find yourself stood where you stand now and wonder at the journey, you have travelled.

there you go a little prose

love the prose that's deep =]

but because I am incredibly lazy I don't see the point of going through all this trouble to get a VM....

I just thought there would be some kind of component such as windows media player which vb6 programer could work from I never know it was this complex =0

you can't tell me there isn't a downloadable component surely .....=[

PowerPoster

No, there isn't. Even if there was you wouldn't really be creating anything of value.

Just like your media player example you'd just be wrapping a thin veil around somebody else's major effort. That isn't much of an act of creation.