Thread: Need to clear up stuff on LOG OUT

Need to clear up stuff on LOG OUT

I've got a jQuery database application (but I think this is really a JS / html-dom type question) that loads up a page and does tons and tons of ajax calls to get data and what not...

The page is static - in that it does only the single GET upfront to load the page - then you stay on it.

I want to code up a LOG OUT button that clear up stuff - and not allow someone who might come upon that browser session to do a BACK or examine the SOURCE - or use FIREBUG (if it is installed) to examine the data (I guess GOOGLE CROME has a FIREBUG like tool installed in it by default...)

For example I've got a global array that holds all my SlickGrid's and the source...

Code:
    var g_objGrid = [];
    g_objGrid[intGO] = new Slick.Grid($(strPanel)
         , objGrid.source
         , objGrid.columns
         , objGrid.options);
    How would I go about clearing something like this so that it cannot be "examined later".

I'm not thinking that I can simply launch to a new page - I think I've got to clean up after myself when they click LOG OUT.

Some of my clients run this app against sensitive medical and/or financial data - I want to make sure I'm cleaning up as much as possible...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Re: Need to clear up stuff on LOG OUT

Hey all - should I ask to move this to the jQuery section of the forum?

Is the question not worded well??

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

I would think that clearing your login mechanism (cookie, session, whatever) and redirecting to a new page would be fine if you're using a secure connection (and it sounds like you should be). Browsers don't cache secure pages, so hitting the back button shouldn't work. If the page itself can't be viewed, its source can't either - same goes for Firebug.

You can't guarantee that a user won't just leave the logged-in page open, though I've seen some banking sites attempt to account for this by automatically logging the user out if they've been idle for too long (timed by Javascript).
    Last edited by SambaNeko; Jan 19th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.

Can I re-direct back to the page itself - which will bring up the LOGIN jQuery popup?

How do I redirect to the same page I am on??

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

Yes - log out button is clicked, delete any cookies or whatnot that would bypass a login check, then reload the page (can be done with "window.location.reload(true);").