PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197
VS 2010 [RESOLVED] this code isn't doing what it's suppose to (easy fix)-VBForums

Thread: [RESOLVED] this code isn't doing what it's suppose to (easy fix)

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] this code isn't doing what it's suppose to (easy fix)

Code:
    Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            If Me.TextBox1.Text = "" Then
                MessageBox.Show("You didn't add a level")
            Else : Form1.Button1.Text = Me.TextBox1.Text
                Close()
            End If
        End Sub
    this only shows first letter of entered text in textbox, also how can I make this so you can only type in two digit numbers into the textbox? and no letters ect.

and is there something you can type in quotes which means any number/letter or anything in general as long as there is at least 1 letter/digit in a textbox to allow/disallow something?

edit: Font was too big for the button to fit on. Lol.

also used maskedtoolbox
    Last edited by MattyR; Feb 12th, 2012 at 02:30 PM.

PowerPoster

Re: this code isn't doing what it's suppose to (easy fix)

you need to add your business logic to say that if the textbox1 text length if less than 2 characters, then prompt an error
    if you are not wanting any letters, then go through each character and see if it is a digit using Char.IsDigit

example:

for each currentChar as Char in Me.TextBox1.Text
    if not Char.IsDigit(currentChar)
    MessageBox.Show("Character not a digit")
    end if
    next

you then make a contridication in your last sentence. do you want to only allow numbers or any text?

MVP 2007-2010 any chance of a regain?
    Professional Software Developer and Infrastructure Engineer.

If you want to limit the number of characters the user can enter into a TextBox then you should set the MaxLength property. You should already know that because, if you're using a TextBox, you should have read the documentation for the TextBox class to see what properties, methods and events it has. If you don't look then you'll never find.

As for limiting what the user can type into the control, you might like to follow the CodeBank link in my signature and check out my Numeric Text Box thread. You may be able to use the code as is or adapt it to your needs if it's not exactly what you want.

Code:
    Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
                Close()
            End If
        End Sub
    try rewriting it as such and see if it works

Code:
            Me.TextBox1.Text = "" 
                 then.me.textbox("You didn't add a level")
                 Close()
            End If
        End Sub
    I think it would work.

PowerPoster

no. you have not declare currentChar in your snippet so there will be a compile time error.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    no. you have not declare currentChar in your snippet so there will be a compile time error.
    Do you mind coming to look at my code? I'm very new to this coding thing so maybe you coils point me in the right direction.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=668965

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew.Kaulfers View Post
    Code:
                Close()
            End If
        End Sub
    try rewriting it as such and see if it works

Code:
            Me.TextBox1.Text = "" 
                 then.me.textbox("You didn't add a level")
                 Close()
            End If
        End Sub
    I think it would work.
    This code has many boo-boo's. It clears the textbox then checks if currentChar (which is nothing) is a digit. Then uses then.me.textbox... WHat the heck is that?
    Close(). What are you both trying to do with that?
    More important than the will to succeed, is the will to prepare for success.

Please rate the posts, your comments are the fuel to keep helping people

It sounds like you could use the MaskedTextBox control.
    That is the very essence of human beings and our very unique capability to perform complex reasoning and actually use our perception to further our understanding of things. We like to solve problems. -Kleinma

Does your code in post #46 look like my code in #45? No, it doesn't. Therefore, wrong is how it looks. - jmcilhinney

You can use the KeyDown event of the textbox and detect if the key pressed is numerical. If not, suppress it!

vb Code:
    1. If (e.KeyCode >= Keys.NumPad0 And e.KeyCode <= Keys.NumPad9) Or (e.KeyCode >= Keys.D0 And e.KeyCode <= Keys.D9) Then
    2.     'Numerical key
    3.     e.SuppressKeyPress = False
    4. Else
    5.     'Other key
    6.     e.SuppressKeyPress = True
    7. End If
    No matter how fool-proof your program is, there will always be a better fool.

Was a post helpful to you? Rate it!

PowerPoster

I believe that it is a bit of an overkill to "inspect" the key pressed and allowing it to be accepted or not. For example you may use 1 textbox for "every type of input" but depending on the current type of input (think of navigating to sections on a form) you would do the correct validation process i.e telephone number input, address input, name input, age input etc...
    the scenario here could get complex/flexible so checking it on every key press/stroke would be an overkill than just checking it right at the end of the input via button click for example

Other suggestions are slightly better.
    you can use the masked textbox, set the maxlength property and finally on text changed (or after button click), to see if the characters entered are a digit or not
    Last edited by Techno; Jan 5th, 2012 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    I believe that it is a bit of an overkill to "inspect" the key pressed and allowing it to be accepted or not. For example you may use 1 textbox for "every type of input" but depending on the current type of input (think of navigating to sections on a form) you would do the correct validation process i.e telephone number input, address input, name input, age input etc...
    the scenario here could get complex/flexible so checking it on every key press/stroke would be an overkill than just checking it right at the end of the input via button click for example

Other suggestions are slightly better.
    you can use the masked textbox, set the maxlength property and finally on text changed (or after button click), to see if the characters entered are a digit or not
    You're right: use a MaskedTextBox and set the mask to '00'.

I rarely use MaskedTextboxes and thought it was only for passwords; didn't know that kind of validation was possible. I will definitely be using them in the future!
    No matter how fool-proof your program is, there will always be a better fool.

Was a post helpful to you? Rate it!

PowerPoster

indeed. you can also create your own custom mask to suit your needs

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...edtextbox.aspx

Lively Member

only problem then is that, I know i'm being EXTREMELY picky here but I like perfection to my standards... the one problem is that the maskbox then as two spaces which you have to delete or highlight before you can enter numbers, which I don't like lol sorry to be fussy i'm sure it's a simple fix, i've already tried things like on maskedbox1_click text = nothing or text = "" but that didn't work, also tried form2_load+activated = maskbox1.text = "" or nothing but they didn't work, any ideas guys?

How are you stting up the maskTextBox? With mask "00" it should put two underscores on the textBox but when you enter the cursor is in the start of the input area and you can type the numbers right there. You should not need to delete anything.

Lively Member

hi kaliman

it puts spaces instead of underscores and I cant type anything in the field unless I delete the spaces

Fanatic Member

what's wrong with using a numeric up down control? It only accepts numeric values, you can set the maximum property to 99 to set the number of digits allowed to be entered to only 2 (covers 00 - 99) without the need for any input validation code or messing around with text masks.
    Where I'm from we only have one bit of advice for new comers: "If you hear banjos, turn and run".

VS 2008 .NetFW 2.0

Lively Member

ahhh I like your thinking, I might consider that, But for now I will just use the masktextbox as i'm curious to find out the fix for this =p

It should not be doing that. Without looking at your project I tend to think some of the tweaking you have done in the load, or activate events or the like have messed up things. Do this to check please: Just add a new MaskedTextBox, change its mask to "00", that is double zero without the quotes, Run you app and see if it does what the other one is doing. It should just put two underscores on the TextBox, put the cursor at the start of it, and let you type any digits you want. (only two).

Lively Member

Yeahh I know why it does that now, I didn't like the underscores being there lol, so I changed to spaces haha

LOL, but even if you change the PromptChar to a space, your cursor should be at the start and let you type the digits over the spaces. (20 posts, so much for an easy fix lol)

Lively Member

lol no no this is going wayyyyyyy off topic, the original question is surely an easy fix... which I don't think I got answered lol but i'm going to need an answer to that soon though as I'm about to start working on that section lol.
    But yeah if its a space and you click on the box it always starts at the end although I found that if I insert maskedtextbox1.text = nothing into the click event it put the cursor to the front doesn't delete the spaces tho ;\

You've ignored the easy fix. Did you read post #3?

Lively Member

Yeah I did read it, infact at that time I already had a textbox in my form and it was already set to a maxlength property lol, the first thing I did was reviewed the properties.

But about checking your thread, I did click the link but didn't attempt to find it, as I thought it was a broken link and took me to the visual basic forum but now i've just realised it doesn't and im reading your thread on numeric text boxes xD.

ps. the easy fix was the code part lol refer to "this only shows first letter of entered text in textbox" which is right after the code