Thread: Web Page loads slowly?

PowerPoster

Web Page loads slowly?

What would cause a single webpage to load slowly? I have javascript within the <head> element. The html consists of 2 <div> elements and within these <div> elements are a bunch of <table> elements and that's it.

The functionality of this site is such that each <table> element contains data that during the "onload" event, these <table> elements are hidden. Each <table> elements is controlled by an HTML menu (the menu itself is an html table). When a menu item is clicked, it will either display or hide the <table> element depending on whether it is already displayed or hidden.
    Blake

Re: Web Page loads slowly?

Have you tried loading the page with FIREFOX using FIREBUG's NET window to look at your load times?

I believe Chrome has this type of display built in without installing any debuggers...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

No I haven't but I'll look into it...

Thanks,
    Blake

Hello,

There are also others option in terms of using ASP.Net Trace (which will let you see what methods on the server are taking a long time to run), also YSlow could give an indication of other factors too.

Gary

Server side slowness is a real issue...

For a few months I thought that certain web services I had were running slow due to the "size" of the "response" they built and how long it took to transmit that "response".

Found out that wasn't the problem...

I was using regular string concatenation to build my JSON response - and once I switched to STRINGBUILDER the speed in one of my tests went from over a minute to half a second.

Bottlenecks can be in obscure and also in "several" places...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Yes, using StringBuilder is definitely a time/resource saver!

If there is a bottle neck on the server, Trace.axd is definitely something to check. You might also want to think about adding logging to your application so that you can record how long things are taking.

Gary