Thread: Linux -- no hard drive?

Fanatic Member

Linux -- no hard drive?

I'm pretty sure you CAN do it because I thought I read where knoppix for example runs from a CD but I want to know --

which small linux distros can run from an sd card or usb flash drive?

my goal?

I have a dozen old P3 motherboards (733mhz) and I hate to junk them -- would like to build some MP3 players if possible.

would like something lean and fast that would boot up and auto start the player (and do a random play).

just have one folder of songs -- don't need to fast forward etc -- just PLAY.

so hopefully I can set it up and then disconnect the keyboard and monitor?

any help GREATLY appreciated. thanks.

Re: Linux -- no hard drive?

Linux LiveCD option is what you're looking for... most of the Linux distros have it... just download it, burn it to a CD/DVD, then on the PC where you want to run it, change the BIOS to allow boot from CD... and away you go.
    Most should also have an option to allow a boot from USB... same deal...

all this is dependant upon your mobo allowing boot from sources other than the HDD.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

hate to be a brain picker but the sooner I get one built, the better -- any suggestions for a specific distro and media player as well?

will the program startup be a straightforward procedure?

some linux OS I've encountered can really be non-user friendly.

thanks so much.

Fanatic Member

ok thanks -- went with Lubuntu, love it.