Thread: question about glibc version in Ubuntu 11.10

Frenzied Member

question about glibc version in Ubuntu 11.10

I'm new to linux, and was wondering, when I boot from it (using live cd), does it already have glibc2? Or do I still have to install it? By the way, when I create new files and install new stuff, where does it get saved? in the boot disk (flash drive, in my case), or in the hard drive?

Re: question about glibc version in Ubuntu 11.10

Suppose you use gedit (a text editor) to create a new file. When saving, the file manager, (Nautilus by default) will open, allowing you an opportunity to choose a directory to store the file in.
    Much like a "Save as " in Windows.

Being new, please develop a habit early on of placing EVERYTHING you create your Home folder. I cannot emphasise this enough. You already have some default sub folders, and you can create others easily enough. As a side note, with your Home folder open, Do a drop down on View. About half way down is a check field that says view hidden files. For grins check that and look at the stuff in your Home folder that you don't normally see. The check will remain in force during your current session only. These hidden files/folders are placed there when apps are installed. They will hold the custom settings for you and that app. A fresh install, followed by a restore from a Home folder backup will return all of your settings and functionality to the "new" install. One folder to backup, one to restore, done deal. ( There are very few idiotic exceptions out there)

As you become more familiar, you may take advantage of the openness of Linux and start tweaking outside of the home folder. By then, you will have some clue as what's going on, however.

When feeling adventuresome take a look at VirtualBox. This app is a virtual machine and works great. I have 11.10 with XP in a vm. I use XP for my engineering apps that require Windows. I have VB6 (not .net) running in XP, not the host.