Thread: Aspose.Cells, Version=5.0.0.0, The system cannot find the file specified

Aspose.Cells, Version=5.0.0.0, The system cannot find the file specified

Hopefully this thread is in the correct forum - this is my first.

The application is a wrapper that reads from an excel template to a SQL2005 database - this error message is produced "Reading the information failed, unable to write" "Could not load file or assembly 'Aspose.Cells, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=716fcc553a201e56' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

The current version in the application program file folder is v4.1.1.0 - .NET 1.0SP3, 2.0SP2, 3.0SP2, 3.5SP1, 4.0 are installed. Windows Server 2003R2 x32 Standard SP2.

Help is appreciated

Re: Aspose.Cells, Version=5.0.0.0, The system cannot find the file specified

The error can't be any more specific. It can't find the file, therefore, it cannot load the needed methods, classes etc... Where is it looking for the assembly? The GAC? A specific file path? Does the assembly exist are the path?

Thank you for taking the time to help,

Good, the error means something: it can't find the file, therefore, it cannot load - seems logical.

Your questions:
    • Where is it looking for the assembly?
      Not sure - the error does not say
    • The GAC?
      Not sure - what is a GAC... Great American Country, something about attire check?; probably wp>Global Assembly Cache, I opened %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly but not sure where to go from there
    • A specific file path?
      not sure, the error does not give a path, there is only one Aspose.Cells.dll found by search on the C:
    • Does the assembly exist in the path?
      I searched for Aspose.Cells.dll and found it in the program files folder for the application calling it - it is version 4.1.1.0; I downloaded v5.0.0.0 from the aspose website and swapped v5 with v4.1.1 - same error message

As you can tell, I am new - so if you can pace me along then maybe we can find the issue here.

I'm a bit confused now. Is this your program? Are you the one referencing the DLL in a project of yours? Can you provide some details about the situation?

Sorry, context always helps:

No this is not my program - and I am not a software engineer - but I have taken a few good CS courses.

The software is a commercial application I am using for an experiment http://cife.stanford.edu/wiki/doku.php?id=granite:home and the problem seemed interesting and solvable so I placed this thread for help. It is basically a wrapper that has several functions, one is read from excel to a SQL db (I probably could have just wrote this myself if I understood SQL and found an open excel parser). The experience cant hurt and I will learn something about dll referencing in the process.

Eventually the software developer will resolve this but if I can solve it without access to the source code, then next time it will take me 15 minutes to resolve and not 5 days waiting for it to resolve.

I can 'see' what the source code probably has and if this is a generic reference to the dll then changing to the correct version should resolve this - if it is a hard punched version # then the source code must be rewritten and it is then out of my hands. Maybe this is a license issue - and I can change to a temporary license file to get me by for a few weeks until something more permanent is done. I did not even know you could buy an excel reader dll until I investigated the aspose.cells problem - I've been writing a basic csv parser from scratch for another aspect of the experiment - now it is clear I can just buy one - who knew.

It's really hard to diagnose this, especially since it is not your program. My best guess is that the application expects to see the DLL in the GAC. Since you've merely downloaded the file, the application will of course, not be able to find it. It is possible to register that downloaded DLL into the GAC to see if that fixes your issue. Here is the link: Global Assembly Cache Tool (Gacutil.exe) to the documentation for this tool. Other than that, it is a matter of finding out where the application is looking for the file and for what file name.

Before I chase that path - this application ran fine a few months ago when I last checked that it worked for the experiment. Can the GAC lose references over time? Also, I unintentionally compressed the drive with disk cleanup - should I try uncompressing with cmd the %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly; the SQL server would not work after compression and I had to search out the SQL files and uncompress.

Sorry for the delay returning to this issue.

The VS2005 command prompt is open and I tried gacutil /l [Aspose.Cells] and returns GAC contains number of items: 0

I also posted a help request in the aspose forum http://www.aspose.com/community/foru...ecified#352791 they gave me a link to the Aspose.Cells v7. I have two options now, /i Install an assembly into the global assembly cache 1) the existing aspose.cells dll (not certain what version), 2) the v7 aspose.cells dll

In the GAC I tried /i Aspose.Cells.dll c:\Progra~1\someFolder\someSubFolder\myApp.exe and the return is that the string starting with c:\ is an unknown option or command depending on exactly how it is entered per the gac guide site

Also, I tried dragging and dropping the aspose.cells.dll file to the windows/assemblies folder. I do not see the aspose.cells license public key in the assemblies folder.
    Last edited by forest.peterson; Jan 3rd, 2012 at 01:54 PM.

PowerPoster

how did you actually install Aspose on the computer? did you use their installer? if not - then do so. it will install the assemblies correctly.

MVP 2007-2010 any chance of a regain?
    Professional Software Developer and Infrastructure Engineer.

I downloaded and installed the aspose.cells v5.2.2 msi then dropped the aspose.cells v5 .NEt2.0 dll in the someApp program files folder. There is now an assembly in the windows folder with publictoken 716fcc553a201e56 [same as what was missing in initial error]. The error message changed from aspose.cells file not found to 'unknown error'.

hello...