Thread: [RESOLVED] Visual basic 6.0 setup toolkit has stopped working.

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Visual basic 6.0 setup toolkit has stopped working.

I have a application developed in VB6 and MSAccess and flash 5.0 in windows xp sp3 environment. It contains several reports created using Data Reports. Setup was created created through package deployment tool.

some mentioned files also attached from the link http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q248055
    The application run properly on other system having xp.

Whenever I install this application in windows 7 i recieved the error "Visual basic 6.0 setup toolkit has stopped working."

Thanks.
    Last edited by yasrab; Nov 24th, 2011 at 02:02 AM.

Re: Visual basic 6.0 setup toolkit has stopped working.

Try installing VB6, MSAccess and flash 5.0 on the target machine then try installing and see what happens.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

I see lots of posts for help listing this error message, but not a single one that provides a solid answer why or a useful detour. Perhaps I missed one?

My first guess would be that the install is not running elevated. If so, the most likely reason would be that somebody got "clever" and renamed the setup.exe program to some other name. If Windows (after the XP era) sees a program name like "setup" it will apply a legacy installer appcompat shim to run it elevated. This is used for all scripted installers and Windows looks at the file name and several other things like the contents of extended file attributes. Sadly some tools are notorious for breaking as many rules as posible (a popular one written in Delphi comes to mind) and they can try to bypass the normal process by applying an elevation manifest.

So the first question I'd have is "Do you get an elevation prompt when you run this install?" If not, try running it again by right-click and choosing "run as administrator" to see if that solves the problem for you. This isn't strictly correct but should work for most VB6 programs.

Flash is a problem for use in applications. The only legal way to install it is to offer the full interactive install to the user, and that's only legal if you have a distribution license from Adobe. A silent or partial install is strictly prohibited.

You say "MSAccess" but probably really mean Jet, which is part of Windows these days. If Access really is used that becomes another issue in itself.

Lively Member

Anyother reply for this error "Visual basic 6.0 setup toolkit has stopped working."

Lively Member

i create setup again by using Inno 5.0 and it runs well.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Visual basic 6.0 setup toolkit has stopped working.

Warning to anyone coming to this thread later: no resolution of the original problem here.

The OP just punted, and went to another tool.