Thread: [RESOLVED] [Excel] Copy data from specific cells to another workbook

Resolved [RESOLVED] [Excel] Copy data from specific cells to another workbook

Hi,

I'm having a specific request that's driving me crazy for now a couple of days.

I'm advance in excel but it's been years since I work code in VB.

The problem I'm facing is that my Coworker want to have specific data that's spaced out on his spreadsheet to be copied into a separate workbook to keep track of work being done at work.

I've been lurking around Google but just can't find anything close to what I need the code to do.

I've attached a screenshot of the tables I need to copy.

The cells I need to copy to the new workbook are F6,F8,F10,F12,F14,P28,F36

I would be good if they were copied as a row and not as a column as well.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: [Excel] Copy data from specific cells to another workbook

Welcome to VBforums

If you have both WorkBooks open and called Source and Destination(as WorkBook):

Code:
    Destination.Sheets(1).cells(2,2)=Source.Sheets(1).Cells(6,6) 'Copies F6 inot Cell B2 of Destination-WorkBook Sheet81) Cell B2
    Destination.Sheets(1).cells(2,3)=Source.Sheets(1).Cells(8,6) 'Copies F8 inot Cell B3 of Destination-WorkBook Sheet81) Cell B2
    You're welcome to rate this post!
    If your problem is solved, please use the Mark thread as resolved button

Wait, I'm too old to hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by opus View Post
    Welcome to VBforums

If you have both WorkBooks open and called Source and Destination(as WorkBook):

Code:
    Destination.Sheets(1).cells(2,2)=Source.Sheets(1).Cells(6,6) 'Copies F6 inot Cell B2 of Destination-WorkBook Sheet81) Cell B2
    Destination.Sheets(1).cells(2,3)=Source.Sheets(1).Cells(8,6) 'Copies F8 inot Cell B3 of Destination-WorkBook Sheet81) Cell B2
    Thanks for the info, I only want the source worksheet to be opened and use a button to call the script.

The code below is where I currently am on this project:

Code:
    Private Sub Button_Copy_Click()
    Dim wbksour As Workbook
    Dim wbkdes As Workbook
    Dim strFirstFile As String
    Dim strSecondFile As String

strFirstFile = "C:\Users\(Username)\Desktop\Schéma récap MG.xls"
    strSecondFile = "C:\Users\(Username)\Desktop\Récup Info.xls"

Set wbksour = Workbooks(strFirstFile)
    Set wbkdes = Workbook.Open(strSecondFile)
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(1, 2) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(16, 28) 'Copies F6 into Cell B2 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(2, 3) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(8, 6) 'Copies F8 into Cell B3 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Save
    wbkdes.Close
    End Sub
    The button in question is named Button_copy (to make it simple) and is already on the source worksheet that I need to copy.

I find myself stuck to inform the script that the source is the worksheet open (wbksour) so it can go to the next step that is to copy the cells to the destination worksheet (wbkdes).

When I run it, I get the error "9" Subscript out of range, it obviously has to do with the line Set wbksour = Workbooks(strFirstFile).

PowerPoster

open workbooks are indexed by name, not path and name

vb Code:
    1. strFirstFile = "Schéma récap MG.xls"
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by westconn1 View Post
    open workbooks are indexed by name, not path and name

vb Code:
    1. strFirstFile = "Schéma récap MG.xls"
    Thanks for the info.

So, the code below now work like I want to. Now I need it to copy n+1 each time the button is pressed, so if the last row was Number 2 it needs to copy on row 3.

Code:
    Dim wbksour As Workbook
    Dim wbkdes As Workbook

strFirstFile = "Schéma récap MG.xls"
    strSecondFile = "C:\Users\(Username)\Desktop\Récup Info.xls"

Set wbkdes = Workbooks.Open(strSecondFile)
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(2, 1) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(28, 16) 'Copies P28 into Cell A2 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(2, 2) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(6, 6) 'Copies F6 into Cell B2 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(2, 3) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(8, 6) 'Copies F8 into Cell C2 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(2, 4) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(10, 6) 'Copies F10 into Cell D2 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(2, 5) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(12, 6) 'Copies F12 into Cell E2 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(2, 6) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(14, 6) 'Copies F14 into Cell F2 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Save
    wbkdes.Close
    End Sub
    As a note, is it possible to use a network patch to open the closed source?

PowerPoster

As a note, is it possible to use a network patch to open the closed source?
    assuming this means PATH, then yes

so if the last row was Number 2 it needs to copy on row 3
    try like
    vb Code:
    1. nextrow = wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").cells(wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").rows.count, 1).end(xlup).row + 1
    2. wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(nextrow, 1) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(28, 16)
    3. ' rest of code to fill cells
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

assuming this means PATH, then yes
    Yes, it was path and not patch.

try like
    vb Code:
    1. nextrow = wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").cells(wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").rows.count, 1).end(xlup).row + 1
    2. wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(nextrow, 1) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(28, 16)
    3. ' rest of code to fill cells
    Ok, with this the code is working like clockwork.

Here's the overall code for others:

Code:
    Dim wbksour As Workbook
    Dim wbkdes As Workbook

strFirstFile = "Schéma récap MG.xls" 'Use the opened document as source
    strSecondFile = "\\prc2507et001\IRFSSMP_31\IRFSS\_MAINTENANCE\Récup Info.xls" 'Path for destination document

Set wbkdes = Workbooks.Open(strSecondFile)
    nextrow = wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(nextrow, 1) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(28, 16) 'Copies P28 into Cell A2 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(nextrow, 2) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(6, 6) 'Copies F6 into Cell B2 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(nextrow, 3) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(8, 6) 'Copies F8 into Cell C2 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(nextrow, 4) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(10, 6) 'Copies F10 into Cell D2 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(nextrow, 5) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(12, 6) 'Copies F12 into Cell E2 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info").Cells(nextrow, 6) = wbksour.Sheets("Bon de Travaux").Cells(14, 6) 'Copies F14 into Cell F2 of wbkdes.Sheets("Récup Info")
    wbkdes.Save 'Save the Destination worksheet
    wbkdes.Close 'Close the Destination worksheet
    End Sub