Thread: Bosskillers (World of Warcraft Clone) Beta 0.54 (Map Editor Included)

Threaded View

Computer Science BS Jacob Roman's Avatar

Bosskillers (World of Warcraft Clone) Beta 0.54 (Map Editor Included)

Bosskillers:
    Still in the works, I became so addicted to World of Warcraft that I decided to create a 2D clone that plays in the same manner using VB6 and DirectX8. So far there are no spells and abilities as of yet but the game play and graphics and even the UI is similar. It's got a very nice epic intro as well. The tile engine is so superb you can literally create massive size worlds just like WoW and Grand Theft Auto only in a 2D environment and it'll never ever slow down. Sizes such as 5000x5000 tiles are possible and even bigger if you want. Theres only one type of enemy for now. I plan to add others and even bosses with boss strategies. As you approach an enemies aggro radius hell come and attack you. And even chase you through the other rooms using my A*Star algorithm. If you are behind a wall with an enemy on the opposite end he wont see you cause I also use Ray Casting for line of site. The sprites use Strength, Agility, Intellect, Stamina, and Spirit, as well as other attributes that WoW uses such as Crit chance, attack power, weapon speed, haste, expertise, etc etc. So you can regenerate health once out of combat as well as mana. The battle system uses the same dice rolling algorithm wow uses. Depending on your stats and outcome, you can hit, crit, miss, parry (a dodge followed by a 25% faster hit for your next hit), and dodge. Soon once I add more to the game, gear will add more to your stats, such as Helm, Necklace, Cape, Chestpiece, Gloves, Belt, Bracers, Boots, Pants, Shoulders, Ring1, Ring2, Trinket1, Trinket2, Main Hand weapon, Offhand weapon, and relic just like WoW has. As you kill your trash mobs, you gain experience and even level in this game too. You can even drag the camera just like on wow, only in 2D to see further distances or to use it to move the player off the center. Pressing both left and right mouse button will put the camera back over the player. Also like on WoW, if you die, you release spirit to enter the spirit realm. Walk all the way to your body to revive yourself. This game along with my map editor is open source.

UPDATE: I managed to recreate the entire A* Path algorithm with a new formula and it no longer locks up. Also I corrected the file path issue that kfcSmitty pointed out and I apologize to those who couldn't get it working before.

• During intro press left click to skip it and jump to title screen. Press again to enter loading screen
    • Press W, S, A, D to move your player. Attacks are auto attacks at the moment.
    • Press and hold left mouse button with cursor over the main game to drag the camera. Pressing both left and right mouse buttons will bring the camera back.
    • The bag is openable and closable but no objects to carry just yet.
    • Prt Sc creates a new folder and takes screen shots.
    • Escape exits the game.
    • Note: One room in my dungeon looks like a glitch but its not. It's an invisible wall maze. The room next to it has foreground tiles hiding lava underneath. Watch your step!

Map Editor:
    The map editor is probably unlike anything you may have seen. By default it starts with 2 tiles to choose from. But then as you add more and more tiles to choose from to add to the map you can dynamically drag it to get to the tiles you want to select. No matter how big the picture itll shrink anything you put in down to 16x16. Later improvements will allow 32x32 or even 64x64. You can add background tiles as well as foreground tiles. But wait theres more! There's even a bar to add different types of collisions such as wall collision, water for what tiles are swimmable, lava for what will burn you, what tiles will reflect, and more soon to come such as what tiles will make you fall. You can zoom in and out of the map and even add special effects such as lighting. Soon I will add others like fog. The worlds width and height can be adjusted prior to map design but it's recommended to do it prior to creating the map as it'll clear it. You can load and save maps as well. Later improvements will have animated tiles. Use the left mouse button for dragging and right mouse button to select what you want or to place tiles in the main map. By default the map editor is just straight grass but you can load a.map which is my sample dungeon map.

Known Issues:
    • None. All issues have been fixed

Bosskillers.zip - 32.41MB

[Edit] Note to Windows 7 users: put the dx8vb.dll in your *\Windows\SysWOW64 directory and use regsvr32.exe in the same directory to register the dll as Windows 7 does not support DirectX8 for VB6 no more yet it will still work.