Thread: Which Mobile

Which Mobile

I am confused about which mobile to buy:

I need lots of power, so most of today's mobiles with 1GHz processor should suffice (I have so far only had devices with max 600mhz processors).

I need a big touchscreen (and no physical keyboard required if the virtual keyboard is good enough for texting and docu editing, nothing very fast but ease of use is topmost, wouldn't mind sliding keyboard if the device doesn't have any other quirks).

Battery backup has to be good, I don't want the device to be charged every day or every other day. Once in 3-4 days should be good.

Good app support or good programmability: I want to be able to make my life easier with as many apps as I can get to provide me an integrated experience. I am not into social networking so my integration needs are a little different. For e.g. when I open a contact list, I should be able to select a contact and then select to either call or text that contact from a context menu (right-click?).

Some device buttons would be good. I have an HTC Elf which has a directional button at the bottom, and I have another HTC Imagio which doesn't. The Elf scores over the Imagio because of the directional button, as I can easily select an entry in a list, without taking any action on it. With the Imagio as soon as I touch the item, the item is 'opened' or some other action is taken on it.

The device should be customizable, so if I want to view the task list in the home screen or some other app, it should allow me to do so.

3G is not a life or death choice, but I would prefer the device to be 3G enabled.

It has to have good navigation software, in that it should be able to store maps offline and allow me to browse through them without being connected to the internet. This is one aspect that I intend to use most.

Gotta be extremely stable. No crashes, no OS quirks. Absolute rock solid!

I am willing to consider even the iPhone.

Choices:

Nokia N900 or N9: Attractions are the MeeGo operating system. Also I hear the N900 can directly receive USB sticks, hopefully the N9 does it too. I am hoping MeeGo is more stable than the Symbian piece of sh*t my E63 has.

Samsung: Galaxy S II is a mighty powerful piece, with a good touchscreen, good power and memory and the Android OS. Should also natively support Google Maps, so ticks most of the boxes.

iPhone: Yeah, if it comes to that I wouldn't mind buying one if it ticks all the boxes.

What do you all say? Have you had any experience with any of these phones?

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Re: Which Mobile

Forget about Nokia, MeeGo has been dead before it started and Symbian should have retired to Florida a long time ago. They're pushing toward Windows Phone 7 now.

You wont get a big screen with an iPhone, nor a lot of flexibility and programability. Look into HTC Sensation (or Sensation XL), I'm not sure if it's available in the US though. All newest HTC (Android) models have the ability to store maps and use them offline. If you want the newest, you might want to look into the new Nexus Prime. http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-sensation-xl/

I am looking for phones in India. I shall check out the HTC models, thankfully most new models are now available in India.

In case it's an Android phone, which would be a good flavour, the 2.2.1 or the 2.3?

General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

PowerPoster

The "phone as tricorder" hit its apex with Windows Mobile 6.x.

Phone 7 sent that over a cliff, changing the phone/PDA into a fixed-function entertainment device meant only to be expanded through "apps" from The Mothership a la iPhone. Apple and Android were never even in the Pocket PC market.

In the "baby can't eat steak" mass market prevailing now you probably won't find any portable personal computing device.

dilettante, I am not entirely sure I catch your drift, but what is it that you are trying to say? I understand the iPhone and the Androids are never in the Pocket PC category, but I fail to see why they can't function as well as a pocket PC, since they already have all the ingredients of the same.
    General VB Faq Thread

If you buy the iPhone, remember the resale value on that gizmo is a lot better than the resale value on android phones.

There's more apple fanboys than google fanboys.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    I am looking for phones in India. I shall check out the HTC models, thankfully most new models are now available in India.

In case it's an Android phone, which would be a good flavour, the 2.2.1 or the 2.3?

The thing about Android is that not all devices get OS updates at the same time, and some phones don't even get them if they are too old. For example, only Nexus Prime comes with the newest 4.0, but other high end models will get it as well. I currently have the HTC Desire, but it, along with Desire S and some similar models aren't going to get it. I'm running 2.3 and it's excellent, but I can't comment on the new 4.0, haven't used it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    The thing about Android is that not all devices get OS updates at the same time, and some phones don't even get them if they are too old. For example, only Nexus Prime comes with the newest 4.0, but other high end models will get it as well. I currently have the HTC Desire, but it, along with Desire S and some similar models aren't going to get it. I'm running 2.3 and it's excellent, but I can't comment on the new 4.0, haven't used it yet.
    The reason behind that I believe has to do with the phone manufacturer. The manufacturer of the device has to approve the latest android build,before you receive the update on your gadget. This is what a verizon salesperson explained to me.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    dilettante, I am not entirely sure I catch your drift, but what is it that you are trying to say? I understand the iPhone and the Androids are never in the Pocket PC category, but I fail to see why they can't function as well as a pocket PC, since they already have all the ingredients of the same.
    An iPhone or Android phone (or a Phone 7 phone) are not designed as a portable computing device that is also a phone. They are meant as entertainment devices with fairly fixed functionality that is also a phone.

WinMo 6.x was a direct descendent of the Pocket PC, that was also a phone. These did not appeal to the mass market just because they were general purpose computers rather than mass entertainment devices.

If you wanted a device you could realistically program yourself to act as an instrument, a data processing device, etc. that was really the only option out there.

The current crop of devices are really meant only to perform fixed functions supplemented by stuff obtained from a centralized, highly controlled "app store." Yes, most can be "broken" to allow you to shoehorn personally written "apps" on there but there is still a lot that is swaddled in protection to limit what you can do.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by abhijit View Post
    The reason behind that I believe has to do with the phone manufacturer. The manufacturer of the device has to approve the latest android build,before you receive the update on your gadget. This is what a verizon salesperson explained to me.
    There is more to it than that.

Most of the carriers have to spend money to create a customized version of a new Android release. The hardware simply isn't generic enough to slap on some released "retail Android version" - which doesn't exist.

Nothing has to be done on Android in order to run software you make, opposed to iOS. A generic Android does exist, the problem is that manufacturers choose to make changes to usually include custom UI (like HTC Sense) and custom apps and widgets for branding and user experience reasons. That, for example of the mentioned Sense, allows HTC to give users very similar look and feel across all devices regardless of operating system.

As far as programming is concerned, I would really prefer the Win Mobo since it's so bloody easy to work with it in VS. Next option would have to be Android since I can usually get by using the innumerable apps or else put together something in the Java like language. iPhone in this respect would be the last, simply because I don't want to do Objective C at this age.

But the programming would be needed only if the built in apps or the apps freely/commercially available on the net can't meet the purpose of a specific task I have in mind. So it's not that I would be programming the device extensively.

Reliability, ability to run navigation apps and other apps without slowing down the whole device, and a decent battery life of two or more days on a single charge is what I am majorly interested in. iPhone does tick the reliability box, and its touch screen is indeed something worth paying for. Question is, is Samsung equally good?

Can you program for Windows mobile 8 in VS 2008?

General VB Faq Thread

PowerPoster

Windows Mobile died with 6.x, and Phone 7 replaced it. Phone 7 is sandboxed down to using only a weird form of SilverLight.

No idea what will happen with the "Windows 8 on ARM phones" story but it may be pretty grim.

Thankfully no Windows 7 phones are available here. I have a Windows 6.1 and another 6.5 mobile, so that should keep me entertained for a while.

With Nokia abandoning Symbian for Windows, if Windows 8 fails, it will take Nokia down along with Microsoft, so my money would be on Windows 8 phones being good. They simply don't have any option.

In the meanwhile it seems Android is a contender. What do I pitch it against? The iPhone? How are the OSes in terms of stability, if anyone has had firsthand experience of them?

General VB Faq Thread

I have both iOS and Android devices, and as I've mentioned, iOS is the only other option. They're both stable and good, but there's simply no contest when it comes to flexibility and programmability. iOS puts a lot of limitations on developers. Also, to run your app on your device you'll need to provision your device every three months, and to do that you need to be in the paid developer program ($99 per year).

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Battery backup has to be good, I don't want the device to be charged every day or every other day. Once in 3-4 days should be good.
    Are you sure you want a Smart Phone?

I have a HTC Desire, and i know other people with differing smart phones for example, Samsung Galaxy S & IPhone, none have a battery that will last for 3-4 days unless you leave the phone turned off for about 2 of those days !!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Also, to run your app on your device you'll need to provision your device every three months, and to do that you need to be in the paid developer program ($99 per year).
    Yeah, I thought about giving a try on app dev. for iPhone. And when I checked their developer site, they specified about paying 99$/year fee.
    I just closed that page and wen to watch a youtube video

Seriously, I don't know why they impose this much amount as fee !!!
    BTW, I'm not deviating from the original topic.

HB, wanna look at the new LG Optimus phone ? TV ads shows that it has dual processor, dual channel, dual memory and is the world's super fast phone.

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

I purchased an iPhone based on how well my iPad performs. Both my iPad and iPhone simply work as expected. The only downside for my iPhone is battery life is three days. The best thing is neither have ever crashed, only restart them for updates to the OS. In comparison to my last phone, an Andriod it would flake out now and then requiring my to pull the battery and reboot which was frustrating. I think the newer Andriods are much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by kevininstructor View Post
    I purchased an iPhone based on how well my iPad performs. Both my iPad and iPhone simply work as expected. The only downside for my iPhone is battery life is three days. The best thing is neither have ever crashed, only restart them for updates to the OS. In comparison to my last phone, an Andriod it would flake out now and then requiring my to pull the battery and reboot which was frustrating. I think the newer Andriods are much better now.
    Do you really get 3 days? How much phone and app/media usage to get that?
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    Do you really get 3 days? How much phone and app/media usage to get that?
    On an average day several phone calls, several texting and the weather app.

Quote Originally Posted by kevininstructor View Post
    On an average day several phone calls, several texting and the weather app.
    I would use it similarly, except the weather app. It's something I don't need. In place of that on occasions it would be the maps and the GPS. While I understand the GPS will be a drain on the battery, for voice calls, texts, occasional document editing and taking photos, the battery should last for about three days or so.

The only worry about going for an Android device is the stability of the OS. Since it's still undergoing frequent revisions and changes, I don't know if the OS will be as solid as I want it to. The Windows mobiles outshine even my Nokias in this respect (alright, that Nokia 1100 phone was super-stable, but that was when half my hair was still black).

If it came to programming, Windows would be my top choice. I could have pushed myself to code for Symbian too, but it seems it's gonna be history soon. With Android and (hopefully) the numerous free apps I don't think serious programming will ever be required. With an iPhone, no programming (I am willing to even pay for some good software if it's available - and I think it should be).

I do want a powerful phone, as I have had all the combinations of dumb phones and average power smartphones.

General VB Faq Thread

Actually, I've had my HTC for two years and my iPhone 4 for one, in that time I only had two Android updates available and about 5 iOS updates. Never had Android crash or freak out on me and I never turn off or reset my phone, it's always on.

PowerPoster

Those mapping apps aren't always useful either. When I really need one it always seems to be a very bright sunny day, washing out the display to a point where it's almost too hard to work with even sitting in the car.

I have been using the MOtorola Droid for more than a year and I can say that the Google Maps app gets a lot of usage while driving. It has proven to be more useful than my Garmin GPS. So much so that I am now thinking of getting a mount for the droid in my car.
    Also with google maps, all the addresses are always current. With my garmin, the maps haven't been updated since 2007. I don't want to pay $65 for a map update, when I can buy a new GPS and probably better GPS for $130. This is where the Droid has been very handy.

Yes it does consume a lot of battery though. I have been told by iPhone users, friends of mine, that the iPhone is better when it comes to battery consumption. Their batteries always seem to last longer, before requiring a charge.

An upside of a standalone GPS is much better signal reception than a phone, and they don't require an Internet connection, especially important while roaming. As I've mentioned before, newer HTC models are capable of preloading and caching maps to use later, but I haven't seen this in practice so I'm not sure how well it works.

Actually, I've had my HTC for two years and my iPhone 4 for one, in that time I only had two Android updates available and about 5 iOS updates. Never had Android crash or freak out on me and I never turn off or reset my phone, it's always on.
    I take it you do use your phone occasionally?

Looks like giving Android a try wouldn't hurt much.

General VB Faq Thread

I use the HTC much more than iPhone. I got the latter mainly for testing during development.

Fanatic Member

I have been told by iPhone users, friends of mine, that the iPhone is better when it comes to battery consumption.
    iPhone 4 yes, iPhone 4S heeeellll no. I have to charge the damn thing every night. Seems to be a rampant problem too. Lots of complaints about extremely poor battery life. It is the one thing I seriously hate about my iPhone. The 15 min drive into work drops my battery life 3-4% just using Pandora or playing music through the device. If I'm using the phone to transfer data over 3G its even worse. A 10 min phone call last night dropped battery life by 4%. So if you're looking for battery performance in an iPhone you're probably better off with the older model or waiting until apple does something about it (which may never come).

the battery should last for about three days or so.
    If you want a device with a big screen, like the Bionic, don't expect battery life to last 3 days. Always seems to be an inverse proportion here, the bigger the screen the more juice it needs to light it up.
    Where I'm from we only have one bit of advice for new comers: "If you hear banjos, turn and run".

VS 2008 .NetFW 2.0