PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197
[RESOLVED] Beginner Issues with Calculations-VBForums

Thread: [RESOLVED] Beginner Issues with Calculations

Resolved [RESOLVED] Beginner Issues with Calculations

Morning All
    I am building a program that calculates the number of books by points.
    Ex: 1-3 books read are worth 10 points, 4-6 are worth 15 and > 6 are worth 20.
    The issue I'm having is getting it to calculate the the first 3 books, the 2nd 3 books and then the > 6.
    Ex: User inputs 8 books read. It should display 115 in the label.

1. I'm using an If statement (should I be)
    2. Could I use a decimal for the > 6?
    Ex: intTotalNumberOfBooks = (intTotalNumberOfBooks * intFirst3Books) *#D

I know this is something simple and it's out of VB 101, but it is my very first programming class and my professor uses a copy paste method during class.
    Thank You in advance.

Re: Beginner Issues with Calculations

It's not much difficult.
    follow this tutorial http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/NET/vbNet.html. post your code and ask questions.

Frenzied Member

I suggest using the site Aash pointed out. I used to to begin my C# excursion. It is very good, excellent for beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by Soron358 View Post
    1. I'm using an If statement (should I be)
    You will need an if statement whenever you need to decide something. Since you need to decide 3 levels of points, you will need AT LEAST 3 if statements. You can use If ... Else or Select Case, but if your instructor didn't cover those then it is probably best to use just If.

2. Could I use a decimal for the > 6?
    I use a decimal to separate integer components of a numeric value from the fractional part, so I have no idea what you mean by this.

Ex: intTotalNumberOfBooks = (intTotalNumberOfBooks * intFirst3Books) *#D.
    That is one formula. Although it doesn';t make sense to me because you ask to calculate points, so I would expect to see total points to the left of the equal sign, not total number of books unless I misunderstand you. And if I do understand you, then you will either need a very complex formula (which I do not recommend because complex formulas are a poor choice because of maintenance) or 3 formulas since you have 3 different computations.
    VB6 Library

If I helped you then please help me and rate my post!
    If you solved your problem, then please mark the post resolved

You will need a for loop from 1 to the number of books read(call the loop variable count)

in the for loop

add 10 to the point total

if the count >= 4 add 5 additional points
    if the count >6 add 5 additional points
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Thank you for the link. I wish my book explained things like this site.

Quote Originally Posted by MarMan View Post
    You will need an if statement whenever you need to decide something. Since you need to decide 3 levels of points, you will need AT LEAST 3 if statements. You can use If ... Else or Select Case, but if your instructor didn't cover those then it is probably best to use just If.

I am more comfortable with Select Case then If. I wasn't sure if I could use it for this type of calculation. I am totally green to this and my course book reads horrible.

I use a decimal to separate integer components of a numeric value from the fractional part, so I have no idea what you mean by this.
    intFirst3 = 10
    I did this because the first 3 books call for 10 points per book
    intTotalBooksRead += intFirst3 gives me the 10 points per book

For the next 3 I tried using
    intTotalBooksRead = (intTotalBooksRead * intFirst3) * .5D

The problem I ran into was with the > 6 books. Cant multiply by 1.0D
    and Im not sure what to do there.

That is one formula. Although it doesn';t make sense to me because you ask to calculate points, so I would expect to see total points to the left of the equal sign, not total number of books unless I misunderstand you. And if I do understand you, then you will either need a very complex formula (which I do not recommend because complex formulas are a poor choice because of maintenance) or 3 formulas since you have 3 different computations.
    The textbox for the number of books read is txtNumberOfBooksRead so I declared intTotalNumberOfBooks As Integer and
    intTotalNumberOfBooks = Integer.Parse(txtNumberOfBooks.Text) to convert it.

Hope I explained it a little better and thank you.