dcsimg

Thread: Sharing files between MSDOS and Windows 2008 Domain Network

Sharing files between MSDOS and Windows 2008 Domain Network

These worlds are about as far apart as you can get. I have a Windows 2008 R2 Domain network. I have a CNC machine who's control computer runs MSDOS. The CNC machine is ancient; a 386DX with a hard drive, a floppy and a serial port. Nothing else.

What are my options for getting it to see anything on my network?

Ideally, I'm looking for a piece of hardware that plugs one end into an ATA hard drive cable and registers as a simple hard drive on the computer plugged into... but is in reality not a hard drive; but a smart network adapter that can be pointed at a network share. Thus to the computer it is plugged into, the network share "appears" as a hard drive. Does such a device exist?

I have also discovered Floppy Drive Emulators that allow a USB SSD drive to connect to the Floppy interface. While not as ideal, it offers some potential.

Anybody have any ideas?
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Banned

Re: Sharing files between MSDOS and Windows 2008 Domain Network

you could get a usb floppy for the windows 2008, or ask the manufacturar for a new control board.

A new control board means new control computer which means new software package which is $45,000. Fraid that's not really an option on a machine we bought for $50,000 used.

We are using a USB floppy now, but the goal is to not have to haul disks, thumb-drives, or anything between machines.

Still trying to figure out a way to network these or to just allow them to share files.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Hi
    Jenner you solved the problem of CNC and network resource?
    I have similar situation. CNC controller + MS-DOS + DOMAIN (Server 2008) =
    Now i copy programs via floppy. Controller have lan card and without domain works fine. I see on CNC controller shared files via FTP. When i use Windows Server 2008 to share files, CNC send error connect .

Banned

maybe there is a programatical solution to the ms-dos cnc problem, but I think, getting a 3d printer would be cheaper and more effective, than getting a new controller for the cnc machine.

We never really "solved" this problem. We did get a "floppy emulator" though to help it. A "floppy emulator" is basically a piece of hardware that plugs into a computers floppy-bus, appears as a floppy drive, but has a USB port on it that can take a modern USB chip-drive. As long as you keep less than 1.44MB of data on it, it'll read files from it like a floppy drive.

Sadly, this is the only solution I've been able to find. I didn't really explore the route of ISA Ethernet cards, DOS drivers, DOS TCP/IP stacks and DOS FTP clients though. I didn't have that much time to look around for ancient drivers, hardware and software.

BTW moti barski, what on earth does a 3d printer have to do with a CNC machine?

- Albert Einstein

Do you have an spare RS232 port? And some good old "Quick Basic"?
    OK it is not a network solution but you can transfer files with some programming.