Thread: [RESOLVED] How to view output of aspx pages on website

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] How to view output of aspx pages on website

Hi, I know this question is probably asked a lot but I can't get a definitive answer, so I came here.

I'm using a hosting service and I tried putting the default pages (that you get when you make a new website in web developer) onto the hosting service. But they only show up "normally" when I change the extension to html. if it's .aspx it just shows the code.

Question is how can I view the aspx file in the browser from the website normally without using "View in Browser" in that popup menu in Visual Studio Web Developer? And side note I can't use IIS (don't know if that's important but other places talked about it)

Re: How to view output of aspx pages on website

asp.net pages need a server running IIS to process the code and controls and return the resulting HTML to the browser.

If you do not use IIS or launch the Visual Studio testing server or change the extention from aspx to htm then no code will run and the page directives and controls like <asp:label id=abc ......./> are not vaild html and will most likely cause the browser to display an error message.

Short answer you can't do it. Either create a html page that does not need a server to render it for a browser or use a server to render asp.net pages.
    The problem with computers is their nature is pure logic. Just once I'd like my computer to do something deluded.

Addicted Member

Re: How to view output of aspx pages on website

Thank you for the good answer, i'll work on resolving that.

Re: [RESOLVED] How to view output of aspx pages on website

Hello acrym,

Which hosting provider do you use? They should have support staff in place that will help you get up and running.

Gary

Addicted Member

I use x10 hosting

http://x10hosting.com/

and thanks I'll contact them if i have any more trouble, but i've been looking into a HTML5 script that can do what I want.

Hello,

HTML 5 is definitely an option, but I wouldn't let this one hiccup put you off using ASP.Net.

Have you contacted the support offered by X10? I can't seem to access the site that you linked to, but from the small amount that I can see in Google Cache, x10 seems to only offer Linux based hosting, is that correct? If so, your ASP.Net Site will quite simply not work.

Gary