dcsimg

Thread: How to create a professional looking interface?

How to create a professional looking interface?

I want to have my programmers create a professional looking user interface for our office program using VB6. The problem is, they say that VB6 can only do so much.

This is what we have now: (Sample 1)

This is a sample of what I want. Can this be done with VB6? They say that we need VB.NET to do this: (Sample 2)

I just want the colors/icons and stuff to be refined and very professional looking. By the way, this is the interface of Crystal Reports 2011. Actually even the interface of the new MS Office is what I'm after. A clean professional looking interface.

My sample1 looks old and crude. Are there any VB6 addons or 3rd party programs that can give me refined colors / buttons / icons and such?

Thanks

Frenzied Member

Re: How to create a professional looking interface?

Codejock sells a SkinFramework control, CommandBar controls (withh Office 2003, 2007 & 2010 themes), and more: http://www.codejock.com

Thanks. Can the codejock be used with Visual Basic 6? I checked the site and it only said ActiveX and Visual C++.

Addicted Member

Hi joms:

ActiveX would be the version you would need for VB6.

One of the reasons VB6 lives on is the support it has for custom user controls. If a programmer wishes to invest the time, you can find many GUI controls available to give your program a more modern interface. Many of these controls are freeware... others, like codejock are commercial.

Pictured below is a partial screen shot of an imaging program written and compiled using VB6. The icons are all pretty much 32bit alpha blended icons in the buttons, toolbars and tool panel. The tool panel itself can be rounded and gradient blended.

Much of this is dependent on the desire of the programmer to invest the time (and sometimes money) to obtain the skills and tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Frenzied Member

Yes, Codejock supports VB6 with the ActiveX versions of their controls. I use it myself in VB6, here's a screenshot of our app using CommandBars/RibbonBar, SkinFramework (Office2007 Black Skin), Markup/XAML Control, and the Chart Control:

And here's a forum thread showing what some other companies are doing with their controls:

http://forum.codejock.com/forum_post...nshots-with-us

PS: I'm not affiliated with them, just a customer.