dcsimg

Thread: Video Game Save Files

Question Video Game Save Files

In my game, there are many chapters that the character plays through. I want a savefiledialog to save to a folder (OF my choice) and then have another dialog in the main menu that can read exactly what chapter that save file was and then start the user at that chapter. What I need to know is A) How to assign a savefile with properties such as the Chapter name and B) How to save/load files with the savefile dialog

Fanatic Member

Re: Video Game Save Files

So... You're wanting to save a file per chapter completed and whatnot via a file dialog?

Why not just automatically save a text file or something to your appdir, on completion, then on the program load, parse said dir, and display which ones are there for them to pick?

However, for your 'issue', use the search. Use google, this is fairly simple.

Quote Originally Posted by TCarter View Post
    So... You're wanting to save a file per chapter completed and whatnot via a file dialog?

Why not just automatically save a text file or something to your appdir, on completion, then on the program load, parse said dir, and display which ones are there for them to pick?

However, for your 'issue', use the search. Use google, this is fairly simple.
    Is there a type of file and could use for this that is not editable? Like a file that only works in VS apps?

Fanatic Member

you could always save your data into a txt file, but have it be encrypted...

and it doesnt necessarily have to be .txt, but .gme or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by TCarter View Post
    you could always save your data into a txt file, but have it be encrypted...

and it doesnt necessarily have to be .txt, but .gme or whatever
    how would i encrypt a .txt so that only my application can read it? Also, how can i make Visual studio read from certain lines in the document/how can I edit/create writing in the text file?