Thread: Napping at the workplace?

Question Napping at the workplace?

Do you indulge in taking brief naps (10 - 12 minutes) at your workplace?

Is it encouraged, ignored, frowned upon?
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Re: Napping at the workplace?

Quote Originally Posted by abhijit View Post
    Do you indulge in taking brief naps (10 - 12 minutes) at your workplace?

Is it encouraged, ignored, frowned upon?
    Sure. A 20-minute snooze really sharpens things, particularly in the early afternoon. We have a pretty quiet environment here, though, which makes it easy to do. Sometimes I even go find an empty office, set an alarm on my phone and just lay down on the floor. Great for the back.

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

I've been known to take very brief naps in the afternoon, which does serve to sharpen my mind. Generally, they are only 5-10 minutes, which seems mighy short, but you can get a good puddle of drool in that short a time.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Frenzied Member

Occasionally I'll pass out in my car on my lunch break, but only on those days where I'm extraordinarily tired.

I find it easier to nap in a conference room, where there's nobody around instead of the cube.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'

I know plenty of people who would agree that it is easier to nap in a conference room, but I don't know any who feel that it matters whether there is anybody else around. In fact, I have only seen them nap in a conference room when there was a conference going on.

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

When working for Xerox In Rochester N.Y. many years ago I would often be on call for long-running jobs (e.g. 24 hours) and sleep on a couch in the data center. Note that those were the days of running applications via JCL and card decks on 'big' IBM mainframes like the IBM 360 and 370.

I can't keep my eyes open for ten minutes, about an hour after lunch. I prefer to take a nap then. If I don't, my eyes become irritated and slowly my whole body and mind follow suit.

*yawn*

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    I can't keep my eyes open for ten minutes, about an hour after lunch. I prefer to take a nap then. If I don't, my eyes become irritated and slowly my whole body and mind follow suit.

*yawn*

I've heard that referred to as the "After Lunch Coma". Sometimes I find I can mitigate that by eating a lighter lunch and making sure I hydrate. (Drink plenty of water).

-Max

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    I've heard that referred to as the "After Lunch Coma". Sometimes I find I can mitigate that by eating a lighter lunch and making sure I hydrate. (Drink plenty of water).

-Max
    But then your coworkers might get the wrong idea about why you are in the bathroom so often

It's either an After Lunch Coma or an After Lunch Trauma, depending on how good you are at making yourself invisible, since this practice is usually frowned upon by most companies.

I am so deep into the habit that even if I go without food at noon, I automatically fall asleep at the same time.

General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I'm amazed at how many of you are allowed to sleep at work! That would get you fired from most jobs! You're very, very lucky people.

HB, I feel your pain. About 1:30 to 2:00 I'm no use to anyone. I can barely keep my eyes open and I yawn hard enough to almost dislocate my jaw. I've been like that since the start of my thirties.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Funny, I guess I have started on it at about the same age. And the weird thing is this happens to me even when I am not in office.

I have worked at companies which include it in their terms of agreement that employees caught napping at their desks will be fired, which is where most employees try to sneak a few winks in.

General VB Faq Thread

Yep, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be asleep on the sofa between 1 and 3 at the weekends. At work, because there's stuff going on that I have to do I can usually hold it together and stay concious but I must look an absolute mess. At home there's absolutely no chance if me staying awake.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I'm amazed at how many of you are allowed to sleep at work! That would get you fired from most jobs! You're very, very lucky people.
    If the workplace can wake me up at odd hours of the night, asking me to look into things, I reserve the right to nap during the day.

Who said they are allowed to sleep?

.. and speeking of conference-rooms, i've had a lot of sleeping time during uncounted houres of presentations of " I still don't care what they were talking about!"
    You're welcome to rate this post!
    If your problem is solved, please use the Mark thread as resolved button

Wait, I'm too old to hurry!

Working loss prevention at my school i can usually get a few zz's in the camera room when its not peak stealing times.

Also, When im not specifically working loss prevention, i have keys to every door on my university campus, so i can pick any room and lock myself away for a few zzs

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    Working loss prevention at my school i can usually get a few zz's in the camera room when its not peak stealing times.

Also, When im not specifically working loss prevention, i have keys to every door on my university campus, so i can pick any room and lock myself away for a few zzs
    Anyone who's seen a lot of movies know that Guards always sleep on duty.

LOL! You know ... you're right!

-Max

Although, in my defense, im not a security guard.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Yep, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be asleep on the sofa between 1 and 3 at the weekends.
    Wearing slippers and with a tartan blanket over your knees? I bet you also watch Ground Force.
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com

Wearing slippers and with a tartan blanket over your knees?
    I go a step further... I break out the duvet.

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    Although, in my defense, im not a security guard.
    Too insecure??

I've been known for dozing off for 10 to 15 minutes in the afternoon at work. On the weekends though, that'll turn into an hour's nap on the couch.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by MartinLiss View Post
    Not that there is anything wrong with being a security guard, but how does your position differ?

And do you find yourself in the computer lab much?
    I work for the university police. more power than security guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Too insecure??
    That was a clever pun

Lively Member

Wow. I've never napped at work. At a previous job someone was caught sleeping and snoring at his desk 3 times. He wasn't let go, but it didn't help his reputation, either. I've never worked at a place that encouraged resting on the job.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

You mean he was caught three times or he snored three times?

Sorry, I guess I am feeling a little browsy...

Oh, I mean drowsy....

General VB Faq Thread

Lively Member

He was caught three times. Each time he was snoring, which is how he was caught. Even I heard him. He sounded like a metal grinder.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

I can't just have a nap not in my bed, but sometimes I do want it soo much!
    Last edited by JaneEyre; Jun 26th, 2012 at 06:33 AM.

I just remembered this. One of my first jobs back in about 1960 was as a civil service file clerk for the state of New York ($40 per week). At the desk next to me was a retired army officer who while working there and getting paid by the state was also receiving an army pension. He would literally put his feet up on the desk and sleep openly for hours several times a week. At that time being a civil servant worker was like belonging to the Teamsters because you couldn't get fired except for insubordination, which, apparently, did not include sleeping at your desk.

Lively Member

Heh. Wow... my story occurred at a state agency which was union by law. Apparently sleeping wasn't against the rules there either... but this was only about 3-4 years ago.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

Thinking back, there was one job I had where one of my colleagues used to sleep at his desk. Nobody ever took any action against him but it was a tiny company (4 devs, a receptionist, a project manager and a couple of directors) where we all knew each other really well and this guy used to produce good work. I guess we all looked on it as an eccentricity rather than something he needed pulling up on. I'm guessing that, if he wasn't such a good dev, the company might have been less sympathetic.