Thread: PST File Recovery

PST File Recovery

I have already tried the Inbox Repairing tool otherwise also known as "Scanpst.exe" to fix my PST file.

The message I get in the log file is

Code:
    Microsoft (R) Inbox Repair Tool
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1995-1996. All rights reserved.

**Beginning NDB recovery

**Attempting to open database

**Attempting to validate header

!!Header NDB version mismatch (read=0017, expected=000F)
    The file is created using Outlook 2010. Any ideas to get this repaired would be great. This file contains 5 years of timesheets sent to my employer.

What else can I do to recover these mails?
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Re: PST File Recovery

I'd say "restore last night's backup" but it sounds like that's not an option.

Seriously though, have you tried importing it via Outlook into a new, empty mailbox?
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
    I'd say "restore last night's backup" but it sounds like that's not an option.

Seriously though, have you tried importing it via Outlook into a new, empty mailbox?
    The helpdesk over here has tried everything, but so far nothing's happened.
    Of course there's no backup, since this was a personal PST file on my C drive.

I have been informed that Outlook 2010 doesn't play nice with PST files on network folders. With 2003 outlook, all my data was on network folder which used to get backed up.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'

Being a pst is not all bad. Since you were sending the timesheets via your exchange account the exchange server should have some sort of backup on your Sent folder? Perhaps its another way to copy what was sent back into a new pst
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Oh yea, do or have you had Archiving turned on? Maybe if you do it will have copies in your archive.pst file?
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by abhijit View Post
    I have been informed that Outlook 2010 doesn't play nice with PST files on network folders. With 2003 outlook, all my data was on network folder which used to get backed up.
    Yeah, I still used Outlook 2003 and it does everything nicely and it still works. I backup old messages, etc on to my external hard drive when I need to clear hard drive space on my pc.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Scanpst only works with pst's that were created by the same version of Outlook. That is, if yo have Outlook 2010, it won't fix 2007 pst's. The fact that 2010 is only a couple years old and your pst is 5 years old, it's telling me that your pst was created in one of the older versions of Outlook.
    I'd try copy the file to a machine with Outlook 2007 and run scanpst there. If failed, try again on machine with OL2003.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Quote Originally Posted by stanav View Post
    Scanpst only works with pst's that were created by the same version of Outlook. That is, if yo have Outlook 2010, it won't fix 2007 pst's. The fact that 2010 is only a couple years old and your pst is 5 years old, it's telling me that your pst was created in one of the older versions of Outlook.
    I'd try copy the file to a machine with Outlook 2007 and run scanpst there. If failed, try again on machine with OL2003.
    I don't have access to a machine with 2007. Wouldn't the file have been upgraded at somepoint of time, since I was using Outlook 2010 on it for a brief time.

That's a good question. I don't know if it would upgrade the PST or not to the latest version.

Personally, I really hate the PST file system. As someone who as to administer an Exchange system, I kinda wish it would keep the lookup database and the actual data separate; with the actual data being a discrete file per item (i.e. one file per email message). Thus, if the lookup database ever gets trashed, you can rebuild it against the data. If one of the data items gets trashed, the lookup database detects it an moves on with it's life.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Given that OL2010 can read PST files created by older versions directly without having to convert them, I doubt that the upgrading from 2007 to 2010 actually rebuilds the PST. It probably just uses it as is. But that's just my guess.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Actually pst files are separated at the end of Outlook 2002. So Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 are all the same format.
    Outlook 2003+ are the newer more capicity storing, unicode compatible, multilanguage file structure.

You can verify this by going to File > New > Data File... and reading the specs as described when one or the other pst file types are selected.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Also, I dont see a way off hand on how to upgrade a pst file from the old format to the newer format other then creating a new pst file in the new pst file format and moving all items from the old formatpst into thenew pst file.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Thumbs up Re: PST File Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by abhijit View Post
    The file is created using Outlook 2010. Any ideas to get this repaired would be great. This file contains 5 years of timesheets sent to my employer.

What else can I do to recover these mails?
    It's quire an old thread, and I know abhijit must not be waiting for me. To repair PST file, there's only one way: scanpst.exe, the Inbox Repair tool. If it fails or doesn't work, then Outlook users can try professional recovery solutions. There are many software companies in the market which provide such solutions with demo or trial version for free evaluation.

Hope it would be helpful here.

Regards.
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Mar 30th, 2018 at 12:21 PM.