Thread: Search for tables with specific columnType

Fanatic Member

Search for tables with specific columnType

Hi

I have a huge database with more than 100 tables.I want to know which tables contains a column of type tinyInt?
    is it possible?

thanks

Re: Search for tables with specific columnType

maybe... what is the database type?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

It is SQL Server 2005 database

you can build a query using sysobjects and syscolumns looking at the column type... you'll need to do some experimental queries to figure out the exact values... I used to have a query that returned all objects with their columns and types - unfortunately I no longer have access to it and haven't needed to build it in some time... but it's possible.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Doesn't SQL Server 2005 have the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS view?
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

From Google:

SELECT OBJECT_NAME(c.OBJECT_ID) TableName, c.name ColumnName, t.name
    FROM sys.columns AS c
    JOIN sys.types AS t ON c.user_type_id=t.user_type_id
    WHERE t.name = 'tinyint' --you can change text to other datatypes
    ORDER BY c.OBJECT_ID;