Thread: [RESOLVED] Milliseconds gettings stripped from SQL Server

Frenzied Member stateofidleness's Avatar

Resolved [RESOLVED] Milliseconds gettings stripped from SQL Server

Gents,
    I am pulling a single field from a SQL Server 2008 table and when performing the SELECT in Management Studio, the result shows as:

2011-08-03 17:46:36.997

Now, in my application I'm storing that returned result as a string and using it to later perform an INSERT using it.

I notice that after INSERTing into the database, I can see it is being stored as:

2011-08-03 17:46:36.000

Appears to be stripping off the milliseconds and replacing it with 000. In my case, milliseconds are important (sequencing thing) and can't figure out why it's doing that or how to fix it.

Thoughts?

Re: Milliseconds gettings stripped from SQL Server

How is the field in the database defined?
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

And let's see the code you are using to insert.

Frenzied Member stateofidleness's Avatar

It is a "datetime" field in the DB.

Code for Insertion:

So, first I get the time from the database:
    sActionTime = dsManitou.Tables(0).Rows(0).Item(2).ToString.Trim

Then, later I use that "sActionTime" variable (a String) to use in my INSERT:

vb.net Code:
    1. Private Sub InsertVideoLaunchedComment()
    2.         Dim con As New SqlConnection
    3.         Dim cmd As New SqlCommand
    4.         Dim sqlString As String = Nothing
    5.         Try
    6.             'GET THE NEXT AVAILABLE SEQUENCE NUMBER FOR THE SPECIFIC EVENT NUMBER
    7.             GetSequence()
    9.             con.ConnectionString = "EDITED"
    10.             con.Open()
    11.             cmd.Connection = con
    12.             sqlString = "INSERT INTO CLOG" & Date.Now.ToString("yyyy") & Date.Now.ToString("MM") & " (LASTUPD, CREDATE, SERIALNO, LSEQNO, EVENTNO, EVDATE, LOGDATE, OFFSET, EVTYPE, QUAL, QUAL2, SIGQUAL, SOURCE, USRID, EVSTRING, SESSION, OWS) VALUES (GETUTCDATE(), GETUTCDATE(), '" & iSerial & "', '" & iSequence & "', '" & iEventNum & "', '" & sActionTime & "', GETUTCDATE(), '-300', '29', '0', '0', '0', 'X', '" & sOperator & "', 'ReView Video Verification was successfully launched', '" & iSession & "', '" & iOpWorkstation & "')"
    14.             cmd.CommandText = sqlString
    15.             cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
    16.         Catch ex As Exception
    17.             MyErrors &= Environment.NewLine & ex.ToString & Environment.NewLine
    18.         Finally
    19.             con.Close()
    20.         End Try
    21.     End Sub

*i'm not using a parameterized query because no input comes from user*

All the GETUTCDATE()'s return the correct date (including milliseconds), but for some reason the bolded "sActionTime" does not have the milliseconds on it.