Thread: Firefox & IE & Chrome Battle

Hyperactive Member

Firefox & IE & Chrome Battle

I really don't want to start a browser war. However I ended up in a fight with a friend over this issue. First a little bit of background.

My website www.letstrend.com looks and works the way I want it to in IE and Firefox. However, if you try and load it in chrome it looks messed up and really doesn't work.

The reason for this is because when I was making it I could get it to look the way I wanted it in Firefox and IE, but couldn't get it in Chrome. Then when I got it to look right in Chrome it didn't look right in Firefox or IE. Since Firefox and IE are the most widely used Browsers I decided to forget about Chrome and just worry about IE and Firefox. I really don't have the time or the inclination to spend a lot of time trying to get it to look right in all browsers.

However, my friend tells me if it doesn't look right in Chrome then the interface is just wrong. I'm wondering if that is just his opinion or if that is what a community among my peers would think?

I also know that the company that I work for doesn't want Google Chrome on company pc's because they think its a security risk. They didn't say why it is though. I don't think its because they hate google chrome.

So my questions are:
    1. Is the way I laid out, formatted and use of HTML tags on my website wrong? I do know that some of the things could be done a little more efficiently but I just haven't gotten to that part of it yet. It's about half way through the design phase.

2. Is it ok if my site doesn't look right in Google Chrome? If it's not then how big of a problem is this? Minor, Medium or Major?

3. Does other companies block google chrome and if so why?

Thanks.
    Last edited by jakkjakk; Jun 28th, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
    My Websites
    SharpMP3 - MP3 Design Articles www.sharpmp3.com
    Yobbers - Job Search www.yobbers.com
    Lets Trend - Methods For Riding Stock Trends www.letstrend.com

Re: Firefox & IE & Chrome Battle

I have managed to write a code before for a client of ours that will choose which CSS style to load dependent on which browser it runs on (at the time, it was accounting for mobile phone browsers / different versions of IE / Opera / Firefox), can't quite remember how I did it though...

Btw, is it just plain HTML / CSS or u using any server side technology such as PHP / ASP?

1. Sorry don't have time to properly go through your 'Site.CSS' or 'layers.css' file. However this link should be helpful to you..

2. Depends what your target audience is, as a web developer you should be thinking of how to make your site as viewable as possible, that way you can target a bigger audience. The first impression of a site to a user matters because they are bound to leave your site for antoher if they can't work on your site.

3. They may block it internally but certainly not externally (altough you can code the web site so that it can only be viewed properly on certain browsers, which isn't advicesable at all).

Hope this make sense..

Greyskull signin out
    Please go to the Thread Tools menu and click Mark Thread Resolved when your post is answered
    If someone helped you today then please consider rating their post.

did you test among different versions of IE? ie9 functions almost exactly as chrome. This is why compatibility mode is necessary.

And i don't agree with your friend's assessment of which browser is the most used. Don't forget that every android device comes with chrome installed.

Some browser trackers report that Chrome is more popular than IE, although of course results vary by website and others list IE as more popular. In either case they both have around an average of 20% market share. Remember, just because every copy of windows comes with IE, doesn't mean any of us use it. I personally use chrome or opera depending on which system i am on (hardware requirements). Also the market share drop-off of IE is pretty consistent. It's gone down every year, although it's slightly higher right now than it was in 2010 at the end. I expect that to change by the end of this year.

point is: program your site for the most compiant browser at a minimum, and set it for the least screen resolution. Don't assume your users have wide-screen monitors for example. I've seen a few download sites make THAT error.

according to http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-A...-201006-201106, chrome is taking market share monthly and if the trend continues it will be #1 soon. It's already dominating in some of the global markets you can choose from on the graph on that page. I think it's clear that chrome is pretty close globally except for china which for whatever reason is almost exclusively IE. Since they have 2/3 the worlds population, it's dominating the world results.
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Jul 11th, 2011 at 07:52 PM.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

I've always heard that Chrome and FF will display sites correctly and it's IE that's the difficult browser to style for. That was IE 8 and earlier btw.
    I do maintain a few sites and I've created a few using asp.net and I've always managed to get the sites perfectly functional, but I haven't a clue how css and that styling crap works, but the various graphic designers I've worked with have always included the main style sheet file and then an ie style sheet with a few slightly different styles but otherwise the same, and they load the IE style sheet only in the IE browsers using that html if then logic, but the point is, if it shows correctly in either Chrome or FF, then it'll show correctly in the other. Operah and Safari haven't been browsers the graphic designers have ever care to test for.

Just my experiences.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Fanatic Member

Recently switched to Chrome after mostly using FF and ZERO headaches for the past month and a half.

FAST and no problems AT ALL.

Firefox loved to crash -- lots of weird conflicts and IE has never done it for me.

I just checked your site ... it renders properly in IE9 and does not in Chrome. (Nice job BTW).

I agree with the above, you really need to just decide who your target audience is and that can be tough. Considering that everything is supposedly going to be going to HTML5 then that probably ought to be your target, to comply with that. Chrome seems to fare better on HTML5 compliance tests than IE9 does so it might be a better benchmark for your work than IE9 is.

Wouldn't it be nice if all browsers just behaved the same, eh?

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

i would have thought safari's numbers would have been higher because until just recently it was your only browser choice for the ipad and iphone.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell