dcsimg

Thread: ScreenUpdating

ScreenUpdating

Is there something like VBA's ScreenUpdating=Off in VB.Net? I mean, I want to manage the underlying data and wish it would not reflect on the screen until the end.
    More important than the will to succeed, is the will to prepare for success.

Please rate the posts, your comments are the fuel to keep helping people

Re: ScreenUpdating

There may well be, but it depends on exactly what you're doing.

I have a form with textboxes for the main dataTable with two dataGridViews binded to two child tables.

1/2 way accross the galaxy.. and then some

the only thing i can think of is setwindowsupdate api

Kris

what is that?

Fanatic Member

Code:
        Private Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32.dll" Alias "SendMessageA" (ByVal winHandle As IntPtr, ByVal wMsg As Int32, ByVal wParam As IntPtr, ByVal lParam As IntPtr) As Int32
        Private Const WM_SETREDRAW As Integer = &HB
        Public Shared Sub LockControl(ByVal control As Control, Optional ByVal lock As Boolean = True)
            SendMessage(control.Handle, WM_SETREDRAW, lock = False, 0)
        End Sub
        Public Shared Sub UnlockControl(ByVal control As Control)
            LockControl(control, False)
            control.Invalidate()
        End Sub
    Code:
    'on load add this:
    LockControl(Me)

'on shown add this:
    UnlockControl(Me)
    (May need to change the SendMessage declaration, not sure if it works on x64 this way)

Here ya go.

If you bind your data to a BindingSource and then bind that to the controls, you should be able to set RaiseListChangedEvents to False and then call SuspendingBinding. You'd then set the property back to True and call ResumeBinding when you're done. I've never tried it but I think that it should work.

This is an Exam System, the form in question is where the exams are entered into it. The header, with the textboxes is the details of the exam: name, area, level, subject, etc. The first DGV is for the questions, each exam has a variable number of questions. Up to this point there is no problem as it acts as any relational form kind of like an invoice or the like. But the second DGV is for the Answers, and it has to change depending on what question is selected in the first DGV, this is where the problems begin, as I have an event handler for each time the selected row changes in the questions DGV to fetch the appropriate Answers, but then, when I copy an exam or when some changes are made and even on form load this event is triggered many times, and in some cases, when a new exam is being added (only during a copy from an existing exam) the question is null and the program crashes. I have handled this checking for the ID value vs Null but the procedure is still triggered many times each iteration (for each question) and that takes time.

All that said, I have used RaiseListChangedEvents = false (thanks to an old thread answered by jmc) and it solved some of the cases but not all. SuspendBinding sounds like it may work, will try it tonight.

Thank you all