Thread: [VB6] Animated GIF Control

[VB6] Animated GIF Control

Posting this as a gift, take it or leave it. An older project and it will not be modified or enhanced.

The project only supports GIFs, animated or not. It is compact, rather simple, but offers several user-defined options. This UserControl can be created as a stand-alone OCX or simply added to any existing project, as-is. The UserControl is just 1 file and is 100% self-contained with no dependencies.

The control is windowless, light weight, and also easy on CPU usage. I wouldn't try animating dozens of them at once though.

There are 2 methods of loading a GIF

1. Design-time only. Use the AnimatedGIF property sheet item. This property is disabled during run-time and does not support unicode file names

2. Run-time only. Use one of these & review code comments
    a. LoadAnimatedGIF_Array
    b. LoadAnimatedGIF_File (unicode supported)
    c. LoadAnimatedGIF_Remote (unicode not supported)

The logic I used with this control is unique and is described with the included RTF document. The change history and brief overview of public properties/methods can be found near top of the usercontrol's code.

If all you want is a simple, easy control for animated GIFs, here you go...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Lively Member

Re: [VB6] Animated GIF Control

OK, first I get this is an old, old post...!

BUT this is really intriguing and supports some great functionality not found elsewhere. The one downfall I'm running into is that the GIF control is always placed behind other controls. Even setting the ZOrder does not seem to make any difference; would like to be able to place this control on top of a status bar for example. Is this possible or should I look for other solutions?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by swambast View Post
    The one downfall I'm running into is that the GIF control is always placed behind other controls. Even setting the ZOrder does not seem to make any difference; would like to be able to place this control on top of a status bar for example. Is this possible or should I look for other solutions?
    Put the windowless control in a PictureBox. Then that PictureBox you can place on a StatusBar.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by swambast View Post
    OK, first I get this is an old, old post...!
    If you want to take a look at a more recent approach, you can check-out Tutorial-Example #9 in this Article here:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...BaseInterfaces

It demonstrates the usage of IPictureDisp in a re-implementation which supports alpha-transparency
    for "Full-Alpha-Icons", PNGs and also (anmimated) GIFs - all available on the Picture-Property of
    normal VB-Controls.

Here's a ScreenShot, which shows several loaded Icons and PNGs on normal VB-Image-Controls,
    and the animated GIF is shown in the Picture-Property of a normal VB-Command-Button (the Top-Right-one).

HTH

Olaf

Lively Member

Thank you Schmidt and Krool...!

Schmidt, that is nice that you shared another option to consider, thank you. In the end, I ended up using LaVolpe's Animated GIF control as it appeared much simpler to me. I like it very much - great functionality and easy to use. To resolve my issue, I put the control in a Frame and it worked out great!

Thank you!

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Posting this as a gift, take it or leave it. An older project and it will not be modified or enhanced.

The project only supports GIFs, animated or not. It is compact, rather simple, but offers several user-defined options. This UserControl can be created as a stand-alone OCX or simply added to any existing project, as-is. The UserControl is just 1 file and is 100% self-contained with no dependencies.

The control is windowless, light weight, and also easy on CPU usage. I wouldn't try animating dozens of them at once though.

There are 2 methods of loading a GIF

1. Design-time only. Use the AnimatedGIF property sheet item. This property is disabled during run-time and does not support unicode file names

2. Run-time only. Use one of these & review code comments
    a. LoadAnimatedGIF_Array
    b. LoadAnimatedGIF_File (unicode supported)
    c. LoadAnimatedGIF_Remote (unicode not supported)

The logic I used with this control is unique and is described with the included RTF document. The change history and brief overview of public properties/methods can be found near top of the usercontrol's code.

If all you want is a simple, easy control for animated GIFs, here you go...
    Is a good Animated Gif!!!

But I have a problem, I'm using this simplistic transparent container:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ency-Container

And I put your LAVolpe Animated GIF Control inside to show an Animated Gif on top of a VLC Video, and this happens to me:

Name:  problemwiththeanigif.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  20.6 KB

I have let the simple transparent container have the 3D border so that it can be seen that it really does the transparency, but the animated gif cannot make the background transparent, it takes the color of the background of the simple transparent container.

Any ideas, if you have time, your LaVolpe, or someone...???

It is very difficult to put an animated gif on top of a VLC Video ActiveX, which is sometimes necessary to show that it is waiting for the wifi, as they do in amazon videos and many sites, that when it does not quite connect the image stays stop and a small animation appears that shows that it is loaded from wifi ...

In the event that the video stops with a lot of code, I can capture the screen - well, if I try to capture only the VLC part, I don't know why it doesn't work, I don't capture it with the HDC of the VLC container (I still haven't managed to get it the HDC of the ActiveX VLC, but yes the Hwnd through windowfrompoint, but yes if captures everything fine if I capture the entire Screen -, and once the entire screen is captured I can already take only the part of the video with bitblt...

But I would like to be able to put something animated on top of the ActiveX VLC, but everything gives me the problem that the Animated Gif stops having transparency...

When I finish the program I plan to leave the entire source code here in the CodeBank...

Greetings, any ideas???

The Anim Gif is this, make with GifMovieGear:
    Name:  loadinganimgif.gif
Views: 989
Size:  14.1 KB

The 2 images here in a zip for get exactly the anim gif is trasnaprent, and see in your normal size the image that show the error:
    imgs.zip
    Last edited by James Reynolds; Apr 26th, 2023 at 06:40 AM.

PowerPoster

Smile Re: [VB6] Animated GIF Control

Perhaps the best way to do this is to add another floating form above to display the GIF image

Method 2:Redraw each GIF frame picture in a transparent custom usercontrol.

The only good thing about custom usercontrol transparency is drawing things on it.
    Normally, if other controls are placed on top, they will not be visible.

However, it has not been tested that if you draw a PNG image with a transparent part in the middle, it will still be truly transparent?

In my experience, the best approach is to add a transparent form. Place it on the top layer and display a different transparent PNG image every second. Achieve the effect of playing GIF animation
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Apr 26th, 2023 at 07:44 AM.

PowerPoster

I remember someone implemented a transparent picture control(png image or Specifies the color of the image matting mask to be transparent.), which was very simple, just replacing one picture per second.
    In fact, there are only two pictures in your animation.
    The next background picture is a circle, plus a rotating arc picture. At the worst, it will be finished by using two transparent controls. Add another spin effect.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Apr 26th, 2023 at 07:54 AM.

PowerPoster

Could you please upload a simple example vb6?about vcl video

Lively Member

Thanks for the answer, and yes, I've thought about that, take the gifs out of the animation and with a timer in a usercontrol put them in a transparent picture in the usercontrol, but I'm afraid - I still have to try it - that it will do the same, because the LaVolpe Anim gif make it transparent with the backcolor of the usercontrol container:

In other words, the LaVolpe anim gif takes as transparent the background color of the transparent picture or whatever contains it, since the LaVolpe Gif is Windowless, and it does not remain on top of the ActiveX VLC, since it is like a label or image control that to be on top has to have a container...

I've tried putting the Gif of laVolpe as Windowless = False, that is, it has its hwnd and so on, but the gif doesn't animate there, I don't know why... Well, there it would go directly on top of the VLC ActiveX and maybe it would do the animation well. ..

And if I make a transparent usercontrol, and put a transparent picture on top of it, I think the same thing will happen, that the animated gif of LaVolpe will take as transparency the backcolor of the transparent picture that contains it - even if it doesn't show it, and a picture transparent I believe make the same -, although until I try it - Now I'm tired, but in a few hours I'll try it - I don't know for sure...

It's funny how these silly things are very complicated...

If I can't find a solution, I'll just put a "loading" animation that is square and that's it, but I would like to find a way to put a transparent animated gif of any shape - circle, animation of whatever, etc, what not be a square - on top of the ActiveX VLC...

Greetings!!!

Pd: In any case, if VLC is stopped because the connection does not arrive, there is capture the screen, and with bitblt capture the VLC part - it only works for me with the hdc of the screen, if I capture a part of the screen, the video part of the VLC don't capture it, I don't know why - that it has stopped, put that image in a non-animated Picture, no video, make VLC Visible = false, and put the picture with an animation gif on top, but I don't see it very elegant and well.. .
    Last edited by James Reynolds; Apr 26th, 2023 at 08:29 AM.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    Could you please upload a simple example vb6?about vcl video
    It's complicated because I have my videos posted...

The idea is that since YouTube and others already censor everything, there is no freedom of expression, because I had a YouTube channel with more than 13,000 subscribers, it's not too much, but it wasn't bad, and overnight someone from youtube had the idea that they had said something they didn't like, and without warning or anything - thank goodness that among my subscribers there was one who had downloaded all my more than 300 videos for 10 years, and had them organized with the comments and everything, otherwise, ufff, I have copies of everything, but ordering everything would have taken a lot of time -, where I was going, without warning or anything Youtube, closed channel and lost videos and 13,000 subscribers out. ..

And I thought about it and I said to myself:
    !!! I MAKE A PROGRAM WITH MY VIDEOS FOR MY PEOPLE!!!
    And in those I am...

When I finish it I plan to leave it here in the codebank, so that if the same thing happens to someone, they have their own free video system - it doesn't matter if you go to vimeo or wherever, you depend on someone having a psychotic attack and it takes away the effort of years in a second, and that's not right -, and so, that the people who follow him have the software on their PC and see it from there, that's the end of the lack of democracy that currently exists. ..

I think I will give you all the code here in the codebank to handle the ActiveX VLC, there is nothing well done out there as a source code on how to handle it... At least I haven't found it...

So now I can't put the whole program, I need to remove my things...

But I can do a simple vbp in 1 day that loads a video with VLC and the problem of putting a gif animation on top of it when necessary, in 1 I'll upload it one day, it's quite simple...
    Greetings...
    Last edited by James Reynolds; Apr 26th, 2023 at 08:48 AM.

Lively Member

I remember someone implemented a transparent picture control(png image or Specifies the color of the image matting mask to be transparent.), which was very simple, just replacing one picture per second.
    In fact, there are only two pictures in your animation.
    The next background picture is a circle, plus a rotating arc picture. At the worst, it will be finished by using two transparent controls. Add another spin effect.
    I check in some hours, thanks for the idea!!!

Lively Member

Method 2:Redraw each GIF frame picture in a transparent custom usercontrol.

The only good thing about custom usercontrol transparency is drawing things on it.
    Normally, if other controls are placed on top, they will not be visible.
    Although I haven't slept for many hours, I've done a test of this, and it seems to work, I've put in the usercontrol container transparent:

I have put a transparent picture on top, and it has worked, so with a timer, you can change the images of the animation, to see if it doesn't have some strange effect when they are changed, but for now the image shows well with its transparency! !!

Thanks for the information xiaoyao, here testing! I'll be going to sleep soon though...

PowerPoster

You can upload the source code of this transparent part. How to achieve animation?

Sometimes a very clever idea is very important, and then it takes a lot of time to realize it.So we salute and applaud those great programs that invent controls or some completely packaged classes.

PowerPoster

When COVID-19 came, that year my computer was infected with a blackmailer's virus, and they asked me for half a Bitcoin, but I didn't give them money, so some of the software I had developed over the years and the vB data of all kinds of research were encrypted..Just like your video may be deleted by them or stolen by users, which is a very painful and irreparable loss.

PowerPoster

The videos you post will be censored or closed, sometimes not necessarily fair. Sometimes they are also subject to peer competition or malicious attacks.

There will be all kinds of accidents at any time. What we can do is to send them to more video websites. Only when you have control in your own hands can you enjoy the profits or the praise of users for a long time.

Just like there was a super Programming Source Code website,Developed by a programming enthusiast. that was shut down because some people illegally uploaded some reactionary comments. They demanded a fine of $100,000..The original source website is only to earn a little advertising costs.The key is that after such a malicious blackmail, they will upload some illegal information after a period of time and ask you for the fine Multiple times in succession

So all kinds of malicious lawsuits. Or unfair competition, which hinders the progress of society.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Apr 26th, 2023 at 01:27 PM.

Lively Member

When COVID-19 came, that year my computer was infected with a blackmailer's virus, and they asked me for half a Bitcoin, but I didn't give them money, so some of the software I had developed over the years and the vB data of all kinds of research were encrypted..Just like your video may be deleted by them or stolen by users, which is a very painful and irreparable loss.
    The famous Ramsonware, also attacked me a few months ago 2 times, luckily I follow the saying that says:

"Having a backup is not having a backup, having a backup is having at least 3 copies"

And I had a copy of everything 2 or 3 times...

But I'm scared, I've never used an antivirus, because I make an image of my boot disk every so often with "Ghost 12", and I never put any code, images, text, etc, etc, etc on the boot disk, always on other disks, which I have copies of which I make regularly and leave unconnected on disks in a closet...

But just in case I have done some tricks, because I saw that what Ramsonware did is encrypt the first directories and up to 2 or 3 subdirectories at the most, and then I have put in all my disks a lot of files and many directories and subdirectories that They are of no use, and some with thousands of files inside, and I leave everything important in a subdirectory of 10 levels of subdirectories, and then in the root directory of each disk I make a direct access to that subdirectory, and thus I enter directly into the content part - it's a bit heavier than selecting a disk and seeing the content directly, but once you get used to it, it's actually very comfortable -, I also want to make a program that starts at startup and stays started, and that checks some files if they change, to immediately, if an attack comes, close windows and open with a winpe and recover the boot disk with the last copy of the image, which I always leave on a disconnected disk put in a closet...

The bad thing about these tricks is that if they became general, they would no longer work, they are simple, and I don't know if I'm doing the right thing to comment on them, but hey, I hope they help someone and that we are few, because if everyone did them, they would do the same. viruses so that these tricks would not work...

I see bad faith in all this, ransomware has existed since the 80s, and the idea is not that it is very complicated, but there is a whole mafia in the world and they want to eliminate population that is no longer useful to them... And they are going for it , and they are going to annoy us a lot...

Me after the covid attack, which for me is a clear attack of global state terrorism - is that come on, if you are intelligent you can see that there is a lot hidden in what happened, which, by the way, you are not going to like this , I am an Astrologer, but one of the real ones, because 99.99% of what they say Astrology out there, 99.99% is storytellers and hallucinated, and I have been commenting on the danger of 2020 since 2003, with almost 20 years in advance, that is what my channel on YouTube was about, I was very famous in the Hispanic world (I am Spanish from Spain) in 2020, since I had already said in advance in 2019 that the key point would be between March 12 and April 11, 2020 as it was, I think I was the only one on the entire planet who knew how long the first strong blow would be -, well, I decided to get out of the system as much as possible, I live in the countryside, very isolated, I have solar energy that I made myself very cheaply with lithium batteries from an electric car that crashed...

Solar energy was really cheap, about US$4,000 and I have plenty of it, except for heating, and with my partner we are already mastering the garden, I don't pay rent, or anything, well water and drinking water from a nearby spring, and from the system I do not want to know much, and if possible, nothing, and hoping that there is some miracle and things change...

As for Astrology, you just have to see what the considered "Greatest Banker of All Time", J. P. Morgan, said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=J.+P.+Morgan+Astrology
    "MILLIONAIRES DON'T NEED ASTROLOGERS, BUT BILLIONAIRES DO"

What happens is that there is an Astrology that works, but that is a secret, they do not want it to be known, and that is why they have filled the world of Astrology with crazy people and storytellers, so that everyone thinks that this is stupid, but there is a lot of evidence that, although it is really "VERY RARE", but it works, and I am finishing a scientific demonstration that will make it clear that it works...

Well, I'm going to see codes and I think that thanks to some ideas, and a lot of yours, they have solved the problem, in a few hours I hope to have it solved!!! Go for it!!!

Lively Member

Well, here a sample code...

Anyway, if you could make LaVolpe's Animated Transparent Gif - excellent and complex code, great, thanks LaVolpe - not paint the background color of the container, that would be the best, most elegant solution, I'm trying to see if I can tell LaVolpe's code to instead of using the HDC of the container, use an HDC that is given to it in a property, for example, the HDC of the Video VLC - that once the Hwnd of the VLC ActiveX has been extracted with WindowFromPoint, then with GetDC the HDC can be extracted, but I don't know if there is a problem with the AutoRedraw, etc, simply trying -, but I don't know if it's not nonsense, but I need to try...

It is that if it could be done so that it does not paint the background of the container as transparent, that it does not paint anything there, it would be the ideal solution, that is, MAKE AN ANIMATED GIF USERCONTROL THAT WAS REALLY TOTALLY TRANSPARENT...

Pd: It is necessary to have VLC for Windows installed, and in the project there must be a reference to the ActiveX, which is a dll that is in the VLC for Windows directory and is called:
    axvlc.dll
    It is usually here:
    C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\axvlc.dll
    The VLC Web:
    https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by James Reynolds; Apr 26th, 2023 at 09:42 PM.

Lively Member

The videos you post will be censored or closed, sometimes not necessarily fair. Sometimes they are also subject to peer competition or malicious attacks.

There will be all kinds of accidents at any time. What we can do is to send them to more video websites. Only when you have control in your own hands can you enjoy the profits or the praise of users for a long time.

Just like there was a super Programming Source Code website,Developed by a programming enthusiast. that was shut down because some people illegally uploaded some reactionary comments. They demanded a fine of $100,000..The original source website is only to earn a little advertising costs.The key is that after such a malicious blackmail, they will upload some illegal information after a period of time and ask you for the fine Multiple times in succession

So all kinds of malicious lawsuits. Or unfair competition, which hinders the progress of society.
    Well, it is possible that since I have since I am an Astrologer, you have run away hehe...

Well, that doesn't matter to me, I know I've got everything right, and scientifically, I'm not gullible, and it will soon be proven, that the only thing I fear is that those who rule the world don't like it, but that no matter what has to happen...

Of course, there is no doubt that they have done their job very well, getting the whole rational world to run at full speed...

But the demo will make things clear, and I'll have to give it away for free, with code, so they can't stop it... It's always been hidden knowledge...

About what you tell me:
    The videos you post will be censored or closed etc...
    For me it's not a problem, what I want is that the people who followed me and follow me on YouTube have the videos on their PC, and so they can't censor a lot, and closing websites is more difficult for those who dominate the world, and Well, if they do that, another website opens and the problem is over... I have already informed my followers how to locate me if they block my website, and what new website I have opened...

But I don't plan to depend more on generic sites, vimeo, youtube, etc, everything is hyper controlled and with unique thinking, brainwashing...

I see amazing people programming on this forum, I'm not that good, partly because of the language problem, I didn't study English when I was little and it's hard for me, now with the Google translator I'm getting by... Well, as far as smart, my father was of international mensa, those who exceed 150 IQ...

Well, I have reviewed the entire codebank, and I think I already have code to fix the issue, more than anything my problem is that I don't have time, because it is not very difficult to be able to put an animation on top of VLC ...

It would have been very interesting if there were complete program codes in the Forum, like the one I plan to put here in the codebank for handling videos with VLC, complete and with very high graphic quality, I take great care of aesthetics, but it wouldn't be bad if there were complete programs with source code...

As administrators I would give the forum, if the php files that manage the forum are given, and the database, this would not be lost, because I fear that one day someone will have a psychotic attack, and they will remove this super forum, full very intelligent...

What can happen, it happened with planetsourcecode, and many forums are being deleted, it is part of the game of those who rule, and the admins of this forum could have a good business, if they sell me this entire forum - the files - for, let's say, 50 US$ I buy it NOW!!!, and I think that several thousand and maybe more would do it, or something more expensive...

Or that someone from the forum would look at making a virtual machine with a Windows Inside turned into a Server with XAMPP, and that would be a luxury!!! And they can sell it, in any case, the content of the forum belongs to the intelligent people who have posted it, giving it away for free!!!, a lot of effort and intelligence, that is, the forum is rather the property of those who write in it, not the administrator This is something that many forum administrators have never understood...

Anyway, I'm downloading the entire forum with webcopier... Because this is a Super Forum!!!

Good, greetings!!! Very thankful!!!

Lively Member

Well, solutioned with GifAnimator of moeur:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....B-GIF-Animator

Thanks moeur!!!
    Last edited by James Reynolds; Apr 27th, 2023 at 08:30 AM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by James Reynolds View Post
    Well, solutioned with GifAnimator of moeur:
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....B-GIF-Animator

Thanks moeur!!!
    This control does not work properly on my win11 system.

I tested it with the example you uploaded.Made a custom control to set the background color transparent. Just put your GIF animation on it.It is felt that there is white residue on the edge of the image.The impact is not very big, at least to achieve the function.