Thread: computer languages

computer languages

How many computer languages you are expert in?

Re: computer languages

I would have to say none because you can say you are an expert in a subject but then someone comes along and shows you something you haven't seen before and you learn something new.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    I would have to say none because you can say you are an expert in a subject but then someone comes along and shows you something you haven't seen before and you learn something new.
    ok, then tell me any particular language you like the most?

Quote Originally Posted by Aash View Post
    ok, then tell me any particular language you like the most?
    Dutch.

Visual Basic and Objective-C. Although, I'm hardly an expert on either.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Bad Language.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Foul language. I love Mafia II just for all the Fwords it has got into it. It's hilariously funny when Joe Barbaro unleashes a string of fuzzwords in one of his particularly striking moments.

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

I'm not expert by any measure but I could be rather proficient in:
    DOS batch
    Assembly (long time ago)
    BASIC, Zbasic
    LISP, DCL (Autocad flavor)
    VB 6
    Does body language count?

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    Foul language. I love Mafia II just for all the Fwords it has got into it. It's hilariously funny when Joe Barbaro unleashes a string of fuzzwords in one of his particularly striking moments.

the programming language

the programming language
    Well, you see Joe has been programmed to speak in profane language. So doesn't that count?

General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Lively Member

I'm not expert. COBOL was my first programming language
    after
    Clipper 5.01
    VBA
    1C

HTML
    PHP
    Java
    C#
    Objective C
    Visual Basic 6.0

Although, I am not an expert in any of those languages.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Well, you see Joe has been programmed to speak in profane language. So doesn't that count?

What about programming languages?

I always wondered about how you do practice them if you know more than one languages?
    once when i studied Visual Basic 6.0 in my first semester, now I've completely forgotten how i did it even simple tasks.

Seriously if you learnt multiple programming languages and are still in touch with them, the only reason is by working with that language. I started with VB6, FoxPro/Clipper, then again VB6, Delphi, VB.Net and then C#. Today I have forgotten Delphi and Clipper, but I am good at C# because that's what I am using right now, and VB because it's still there in the back of my mind.

Unless I worked with the languages they would rust.

General VB Faq Thread

Seriously if you learnt multiple programming languages and are still in touch with them, the only reason is by working with that language. I started with VB6, FoxPro/Clipper, then again VB6, Delphi, VB.Net and then C#. Today I have forgotten Delphi and Clipper, but I am good at C# because that's what I am using right now, and VB because it's still there in the back of my mind.

Unless I worked with the languages they would rust.

I thought, I am the only one who forgot how to deal with any particular programming language when getting back to it after one year.
    so how often do you program?

With C# it's every day. With VB, occasionally, though I think I shall go for C# anytime now (purely a matter of habit, you see). With the others, the last time I touched VB6 in active development was like four years back. Same goes for Delphi. FoxPro/Clipper is a distant memory.

General VB Faq Thread

I've forgotten more languages than I currently know...

Languages I've learned over the years & forgotten: (I've not completely forgotten them, but since they are not ones I use on a regular basis, I doubt I could program my way out of a plastic bag with them)
    COBOL, C/C++, Ada, Pascal, ASM, Java

Other languages I've learned:
    SQL, PHP, VB, C#

And I know that's not an all-inclusive list... I'm sure there are other languages I'm forgetting.

Other technologies I use:
    HTML, XML, CSS

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

How many computer languages you are expert in?
    when i had a c-64 i could read machine code on it, but i programmed in source. Basic 2.0 i knew every command. This is the system i started on, and i could do anything on it. Write game trainers, etc.
    vb6 i know most of them.
    vb.net i'm good enough to write progs from scratch.
    c# i have to continually hit the reference books.

I also have experience in clipc (in dos), and c++ in windows enough that i can understand what someone else wrote but couldn't possibly write something from scratch.

That's about my knowledge of html as well. I can read it.

I would say my c# knowledge is adequate. I converted a vb6 dx7 game to c# xna in about 3 days.

As for being an expert in any of them, you have to understand that programs are subdivided into areas you work in every day. I can do whatever i wish with disk access (i wrote a sector editor in qbasic) and graphics, but don't expect me to be able to connect to a database.

I've been getting rusty lately due to lack of time to keep up. I would like to port a collapse-clone to android, but the skills aren't strong enough.
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Jul 13th, 2011 at 08:11 AM.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

I know Visual Basic(.NET 2003 to 2010) better than I know any other computer language but I am by no means an expert in it. I was just looking at a wikipedia article on the english language and it says, "The Oxford English Dictionary lists over 250,000 distinct words, not including many technical or slang terms, or words that belong to multiple word classes." I was wondering how many different "words" or commands there are in Visual Basic.NET. That may be sort of hard to define I suppose. There are so many statements that are combinations like for instance when you use "." to define something.

Code:
    ComboBox1.Text = ComboBox1.Items.Item(0).ToString
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    I've forgotten more languages than I currently know...

Languages I've learned over the years & forgotten: (I've not completely forgotten them, but since they are not ones I use on a regular basis, I doubt I could program my way out of a plastic bag with them)
    COBOL, C/C++, Ada, Pascal, ASM, Java

Other languages I've learned:
    SQL, PHP, VB, C#

And I know that's not an all-inclusive list... I'm sure there are other languages I'm forgetting.

Other technologies I use:
    HTML, XML, CSS

-tg
    I can infer from your posts, you have vast knowledge of programming. Really I would say I want to be programmer like you, like Lord Orwell, jmcilhinney e.t.c if i continue it. But i wonder how you elaborate anything to users here, i think you do program all day that's how you are expert in that. Is it? and you are professionally programmer?
    what you'll say Lord Orwell and EntityX?

How you programmers do program anything when after trying couple of times and still don't get the work done?
    What was your experience when you first started programming and made a asterik triangle? (Was that seemed difficult for you)

I can infer from your posts, you have vast knowledge of programming. Really I would say I want to be programmer like you, like Lord Orwell, jmcilhinney e.t.c if i continue it. But i wonder how you elaborate anything to users here, i think you do program all day that's how you are expert in that. Is it? and you are professionally programmer?
    I started to write a reply to that... and realized it's not so simple answer. The short version is that I've been doing programming for about 30 years now. I'm at the point where seeing the code to a problem is like breathing. It just comes naturally. You know, how in the movies and on TV, they show people that can "See" connections between people, or energies, or auras or things like that? that's how I am with code sometimes. I just "see" it. Not always, but sometimes.

For me, it's always come somewhat easily to me.

30 years ago, how was it for me just starting out? A lot different than it would be for me if I were starting out today. Back then, there was no internet. All I had were stacks of PC World magazine (or a couple of others) and the User Guide ... that was it. No forums (heck, this was even before Prodigy or AOL!), no internet, nada. So if I had a problem, I had to work through it. Or grab someone smarter than me and ask.

I learned by doing... making games. Writing logic puzzles. I built a yearbook sales tracker system for my high school my senior year. Not only did it allow us to track sales, but then at the end of the year, break the list up evenly so that it allowed for smooth operation in handing out the books.

I'm not sure I'd call myself an "expert" in VB... advanced perhaps... but there are still large amounts of things in VB I know nothing about. There's a reason I don't hang out in the graphics section of the forum.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

i mentioned that i am getting rusty. I spend about 1/2 my free time working on hardware projects, so even though i have a few projects i'm tinkering with, i don't seem to be getting the programming done. I've been taking a brain vacation to finish up some video games i have in preparation for the sequel releases (specifically fear 3, and skyrim) although i have waaaay more wii games due to the modded nature of my wii (hard drive attached by usb with my games ripped to it) and it's actually my major project right now. I just had to rme the hard drive (again... 3rd time) but there are some tricks i wasn't aware of i just found out. For example it's possible to back up your internal memory to the hard drive, and run the virtual console games from that, freeing up your wii memory! I will be doing this because i have 3 games large enough by themselves to nearly fill the memory up.

my current programming projects include an xna snake game (new version), a 10ft interface for launching programs (barely started), and i project i've been tinkering with for a while now to control my tivo through telnet. The hardest part there was actually finding the tivo.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell